How to get DJ720C Printer working?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
trufflesdad

How to get DJ720C Printer working?

#1 Post by trufflesdad »

The driver does not appear on the driver list...Anyone got one of these
printers running and if so which driver ??

Torymon

HP Deskjet printers

#2 Post by Torymon »

I'm not going to be much help at the moment... I'm a noob to puppy.
I DO know that that is a Windows printer.
It was built with the PPA format for Windoze. I have an 820Cse that I'm currently trying to get to work in Puppy 2.02.
There is a file called "pnm2ppa" that is supposed to help.
I'm having a problem compiling. I think I'm missing libraries or something. The directions say "Make" but I get the message "Unknown Command".
Google pnm2ppa. It's home's on Sourceforge.
I HAVE gotten puppy to recognize the printer - it lists it in the startup dialog but haven't gotten it to print.
I think I'm having problems getting a proper install.
Maybe you'll have better luck, or results!
I also found a file called "ppaSet-beta1" that is supposed to help install all the files nec. After running it, puppy recognizes and lists the printer in the startup but still no printing... yet!

Like I said... not MUCH help! I'm hoping someone will pick up this thread and help up figure out what's wrong!
Good luck!
woof!

dewdrop

HP Deskjet printers

#3 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Trufflesdad and Torymon

Please check out this thread for printers and getting them working with various versions of Puppy Linux.

dewdrop

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... 76&start=0

Torymon

#4 Post by Torymon »

Hiya Dewdrop!
I've read alot so far!
I think I've 'bout got most of you and Rarsa's "step by step"s.
I've just gotten Cups and Foomatic. Haven't figured out much of the
console workings yet but gettin' there!
Like the 'sh blahblah.sh' command for scripts... actually think I got cups and foomatic to install correctly. Hadn't tested yet. It's late and I gotta sleep sometime. In fact, I just rebooted an decided to check my mail before bed, planned on testing tomorrow... uh, later.
Just for the info, I'm working with an AMD K7 500MHz, 512 Megs and Puppy Unleashed 2.02 with a windoze XP NTFS drive.
Reading through Murga's forums got me to getting puppy to boot dual with WinXP Pro. Cool! Got it to boot now to puppy by default!!
Getting a dual boot on a crusty old windoze machine with a cute playful (and FAST!) puppy!!
Now, as you know, I'm hacking away at getting my faithful old (windoze manipulated) HP Deskjet 820Cse to work in puppy.
Me sleep now... work later! Sleep good!
Thanks for jumping in! Probably will need the help!
You didn't have to work with the pnm2ppa files did you?
Oh, you have any luck getting the "make" or "makefile" commands to work in console? I'm thinking I need to install the Qt files... which I think I managed to do but ... gotta sleep... you know how long it takes to read through umpteen hundred posts... with printscreens?
heh heh heh!!
aw hell, it's 4:30 am CST (central standard time) not to be confused with CDT (central daylight time) ;}
sorry, my bad, brains foggin' eye's dry gotta sleep
later,
Tmon

woof! woof! you're such a good doggy... yes you are!!!

dewdrop

#5 Post by dewdrop »

Torymon,

I'm sure you are having fun using Puppy. Remember it is experimental, so losing sleep will be part of the equation (goofing things up, having to redo stuff..as you see what it will and won't do from your list of "gotta have this ability"..those kinds of sleep depriving activities... :) ). My time with Rarsa on the CUPS thread is what has kept me using Puppy because I really wanted to be able to print with Puppy, and Rarsa was kind enough to stick with me until I got it.

Using the information/step by step/downloads, on pakt's thread that I sent previously, I didn't have to use anything outside of getting the ppd file for my particular printer. I know that there are many different ways to have Puppy on a computer, and each method seems to present its own challanges - I use the CD to RAM install method on a normal basis, and have toyed with the Multisession DVD thing or with Puppy on a flashdrive, I even tried it on a hdd install....but, I keep going back to the Live CD method as the others left me wanting for one reason or another.

Also, pakt is much more advanced than me in his knowledge of Puppy and Linux in general ( ie: your reference to make and makefile commands are way beyond by ability in Linux), please look to him for further guidance with your printing challanges.

dewdrop

Torymon

#6 Post by Torymon »

Shoot... I live for experimental!!
In fact, trying to install CUPS etc, etc... I inadvertently erased my C drive...
yep...
The one with puppy and WindowXP! :oops:
Had to reinstall both! Both? Until I get my printer up and running under puppy, I've GOT to keep XP
That's why it took a day or so to get back here.... speaking of...
trufflesdad... did you get your printer working? Seems like I kinda took this thread over :oops: again!
UPDATE - talking about the 'make' and 'makefile' issues...
I downloaded a couple of megs of stuff including GNU Make... STILL can't compile the files for installs!!
Keep getting messages like "No compatible compiler found"!!! And this is in response to GNU Make's install.
Got more sleep deprivation to go!
I'll try your suggestion and see if I can holler at pakt or maybe murga or ulrich... (guys, please don't be offended if I didn't capitalize your names!).
Once I figure out this compiler issue, I'll probably... :shock: hopefully :D be able to do my installs correctly.
Got a question for ya... how do you get around using up all your ram?
After the downloads of glib, gtk pkg, pnm2ppa etc, etc, etc I'm watching the freememapplet blink 'NONE' at me...
in fact, the first time I started to write this post, I ran out of ram and got locked up.
First and ONLY time I've managed to lock up puppy!!
Case in point, after I erased my harddrive, I reloaded windows, and started using Internet Explorer to download the ISO files and ... guess what...
"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and nees to close." :x
But... thanks for the info and I'll see if I can't get rarsa, MU, Lobster or pakt to help...
Later
Tory

dewdrop

#7 Post by dewdrop »

Torymon wrote:................

UPDATE - talking about the 'make' and 'makefile' issues...
I downloaded a couple of megs of stuff including GNU Make... STILL can't compile the files for installs!!
Keep getting messages like "No compatible compiler found"!!! And this is in response to GNU Make's install.
Got more sleep deprivation to go!
I'll try your suggestion and see if I can holler at pakt or maybe murga or ulrich... (guys, please don't be offended if I didn't capitalize your names!).
Once I figure out this compiler issue, I'll probably... :shock: hopefully :D be able to do my installs correctly.
Got a question for ya... how do you get around using up all your ram?
After the downloads of glib, gtk pkg, pnm2ppa etc, etc, etc I'm watching the freememapplet blink 'NONE' at me...
in fact, the first time I started to write this post, I ran out of ram and got locked up.
First and ONLY time I've managed to lock up puppy!!
Case in point, after I erased my harddrive, I reloaded windows, and started using Internet Explorer to download the ISO files and ... guess what...
"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and nees to close." :x
But... thanks for the info and I'll see if I can't get rarsa, MU, Lobster or pakt to help...
Later
Tory
Hey Tory,

Sorry about the Crash!!! Welcome to the club....when I started using Puppy, I think I went thru about 3 complete re-installs of Windows before I figured out what not to do...I think it's called the "learning curve".

There is a special file that can be downloaded and put on the hard drive in the same area where the pup_save.3fs file is located (the C: drive on a Windows machine).

It is called the devx_202.sfs (if you are using the Puppy 2.02 version - there is another one for the users of Puppy 2.00). If I understand things correctly, this is the file that contains a whole bunch of things necessary for those who want to compile stuff using Puppy.

It can be found/downloaded from here:

http://www.puppylinux.org/user/downloads.php?cat_id=12

along with a bunch of other things for Puppy....be sure to get the right one since there are at least 2 devx files that can be downloaded from there.

I think it is also necessary if you want to use the CUPS for printing - but, don't quote me on this, since I haven't reviewed pakt's thread recently....and my mind is fuzzy on that point.

As far as using up your RAM, I have no idea why that happens, but I'll bet someone does...and it may have already been figured out by someone else on the Forum....you might do a search there about that particular challange.

The forum members you mention are all super people, willing to help those of us that still wander around Puppy-land trying to find the right answer to our particular challanges.

Peace,

dewdrop

Torymon

#8 Post by Torymon »

I've got it...
several copies... at least two to try to get it to mount up.
Just read through this thread...

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9730

and I'm not the only one with pup 2.02 and devx_202.sfs.
There's where the make command seems to have the bug.
I think Barry popped in to note and said he'd work on it.
Meanwhile, I went ahead and ordered Unleashed on cd from
Barry... That should help.
Since I've had to reload and lost everything, I'll probably do
a format and clean install for puppy...
use my windoze cd for a coaster! :twisted:
Meanwhile, I'm going to try defragging the devx_202 and see
if that will help. I suspect it may have fragmented during
move and/or copy operations.
I'll let you know.
Have you been able to install programs? If you open a console
window and type "make", what response do you get?
Let me know.
Later,
Tory

dewdrop

#9 Post by dewdrop »

"Have you been able to install programs? If you open a console
window and type "make", what response do you get?
Let me know.
Later,
Tory"

Tory,

When I open a console and type "make", I get this:

sh-3.1# make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
sh-3.1#

I have no idea if that helps or not....even after reading the thread you indicated.

As far as outside programs, I have installed and use the Opera 9.01 browser, Firefox 1.5.0.6 browser, Moneydance financial program, Skype 1.2.0.18, Google Earth 4.....whatever, the latest version, and RealPlayer 10.0.7.785. (Gold).

Some of these have dotpup or pupget installers, some don't.

Under the Utilities heading in Menu listing (START Menu in Windows) there is a procedure called "Resize Personal Storage File" that I have used to increase the size of my storage file....I think this procedure allows for more space in RAM to be used...but not sure.....it might have something to do with RAM and a swap file on the hard disk for switching in and out of programs as I use them.

I'm not sure that my experience with Puppy is like that of a "normal" Linux user, but I sure find Puppy useful for my purposes, even though I'm clue-less in a lot of areas that seem to be important.

dewdrop

Torymon

#10 Post by Torymon »

Hiya dewdrop,

Sorry for the delay in response, been busy with the personal life!
It appears that your compiler is;
A: Installed correctly and;
B: Working correctly.
If it wasn't, you'd have gotten the
"Command not found" error.
That's where I'm stuck...
Don't know for sure what I need to do to repair/install correctly.
By all install docs, I have to do a
'make' command followed by 'make install'. Can't get them to work. I didn't get the chance to defrag so I'm fixing to try and then see what happens.
Makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only person with this trouble. Might be corrupted download, don't know... I read somewhere that ftp binary mode os the best for these files so I might have to re-download with ftp instead of out of the browser. If you think of something to try, holler at me, otherwise I'll keep you posted.
Thanks,
Tory

marksouth2000

#11 Post by marksouth2000 »

Torymon wrote:...I'll probably do
a format and clean install for puppy...
use my windoze cd for a coaster!
There's probably a clause in the Windows EULA that says if you do, Microsoft owns your beer :shock:

Torymon

#12 Post by Torymon »

Hey trufflesdad,
I found a webpage that might help somewhat...

http://brendan.sdf-eu.org/articles/inst ... rinter.php

I'm still working on getting the make command to work so I can compile the CUPS, foomatic and pnm2ppa.

Wish you luck!

And Marks2k... my coaster... uh, windoze cd... doesn't really work well as
a coaster... won't absorb anything!
Works good as a dart target though :twisted:

Later,
Tory

Torymon

#13 Post by Torymon »

dewdrop,

How do enter items into /etc/fstab?

Trying to mount devx_202.sfs... I get an error;

"Cannot find /mnt/devx/devx_202.sfs in /etc/fstab"

???

I've looked in the file but I DEFINATELY don't want to screw it up.
Any ideas what the colums mean, the format etc?

Thanks,
Tory

dewdrop

#14 Post by dewdrop »

Torymon wrote:dewdrop,

How do enter items into /etc/fstab?

Trying to mount devx_202.sfs... I get an error;

"Cannot find /mnt/devx/devx_202.sfs in /etc/fstab"

???

I've looked in the file but I DEFINATELY don't want to screw it up.
Any ideas what the colums mean, the format etc?

Thanks,
Tory
Hi Tory,

You are asking me questions that I have no idea how to answer. I use Puppy almost exclusively...still need Windows for music things in MIDI...but I'm clueless when it comes to your challanges...I can't even figure out why your printer doesn't work yet.

Sorry.

I guess the best advice I can give is for you to ask the above question about mounting the devx_202.sfs file in a separate thread so it will be reviewed by others on the Forum. It's usually a good idea to stick to one topic per thread on the Forum.....so that the other challanges don't get lost in the maze.

dewdrop

Torymon

#15 Post by Torymon »

dewdrop,
seems like the FIRST thing I need to do is to be able to compile programs.
That's where the question about devxxxxxx comes from.
Soooo...
I'm still trying to install gcc and make so I can do installs.
Why is it that I do an install of puppy 2.02 but I can't do 'make'?
Now THERE'S a question for you! You see, I've read ALOT of threads in various forums and have discovered (by your own words) that you're still somewhat of a newbie yourself... albeit you've had MUCH more experience than me at this point!
I'm slugging away but I still can't seem to get a compiler installed.
Maybe I should start a new thread and rarsa, BarryK, MU, GuestToo or somebody with much more experience and knowledge can help.
I'm beginning to suspect that 90% of my problems are doing a dual-boot system with WinXP.
The AMD K7 - 500MHz - 512 ram boots fine... even got it to boot to puppy by default... I mean, I don't have to select puppy, no input from me and it will default to puppylinux, but I don't have nor have had much luck installing a compiler. I always seem to get missing libs or such and have to delete my pup_save file so I can get puppy to boot up again... then redo all the settings yada yada yada. By this I mean that after I tried to install... say gcc, after a reboot, I get errors about missing libraries and the system hangs. The ONLY way to get puppy back up is to rename or delete the pup_save file and start over.
Oh the joy!!!
I tell ya, as soon as Barry's Puppy Unleashed CD comes in the mail, I AM going to boot from it, format and repartition the primary drive and start from there.
I had hoped that some of the pro's involved would've jumped in already but maybe this thread started too specific... ie trufflesdad's question about his printer.
hmm, I wonder if he's followed this... I posted a link earlier that I think might have helped him but it seems he's abandoned this thread... alas and oh well.
I'm just sharing info here but...
I have read, wiki's, forums, how-to's and more but still seem to have a problem getting;
A- a compiler to install correctly
B- a 'make' program to install and
C- any clue as to what the hell I'm doing!!!
so...
do a search for posts from me and see what happens. I'm going to start a new one to see if I can get the pro's to help me figure out why I can't get a compiler to work.
as an fyi, it seems that (from what I read) compiler's are finiky things.
it almost seems like compilers are written for certain kernels!
so... running an newest version kernel needs a newer version compiler!
make sense to you?
If I don't see you jump into the new thread, I'll come back here and post a link so you can follow the progress... presuming you're like me and just GOTTA know!
Thanks for the assistance and pointers on where to read tips and into dewdrop! I'm fairly sure we'll talk again!
Love and peace to you and yours!
Tory

Torymon

#16 Post by Torymon »

As a follow up,
It seems there is/was a bug in 2.02 that prevented devx_202 from working properly.
The problem is gone in 2.10alpha.
I've installed 2.10a and have had success in installing gcc, make and several other files.
Now...
on to configuring CUPS and foomatic to drive my printer...

Anybody want a windoze cd with a few dart holes in it? :twisted: heh heh heh!

woof!
Tory