Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rcrsn51

#461 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sage wrote: HAMA rt2800usb/300MHz obviously still too new as reports no driver and 'Add' not working. These 300MHz dongles are going to become more widespread as tablets and smart TVs, inter alia, establish their niche.
In the past, the recommendation for similar devices has been to blacklist the rt2800usb module and use rt2870sta instead.

rg66

#462 Post by rg66 »

Sage wrote:Think I mentioned the orange text at boot up? Almost impossible to read any boot codes on all my modern led, as well as some older lcd monitors and TVs. Not sure where to change this on a liveCD, although it should respond to GRUB editing on a FULL?
I experienced this with Saluki custom builds. The text color seems to come from the splash image colors. The lighter my splash the lighter the text.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Roger Hunter

Carolina 004 question

#463 Post by Roger Hunter »

Hi;

Carolina just keeps getting better. I've looked at hundreds of puppies and this is the best so far.

One question; will it work with grub or must I use grub4dos instead? And if so, how?

Roger

Sage

#464 Post by Sage »

blacklist the rt2800us
Many thanks, rc. Someone (was it you?) described for me how to do that but it was several years ago....etc, etc...

elroy

Re: Carolina 004 question

#465 Post by elroy »

Roger Hunter wrote:One question; will it work with grub or must I use grub4dos instead? And if so, how?
Grub is actually there, although there is no front-end for it. It can be run from the terminal. Type grub --help to see the list of options.

If you want to try out something more user-friendly, open the package manager and type boot-loader-manager in the search box. This package works for creating and/or editing both grub and grub4dos setups.

Roger Hunter

Re: Carolina 004 question

#466 Post by Roger Hunter »

elroy wrote:
Roger Hunter wrote:One question; will it work with grub or must I use grub4dos instead? And if so, how?
Grub is actually there, although there is no front-end for it. It can be run from the terminal. Type grub --help to see the list of options.

If you want to try out something more user-friendly, open the package manager and type boot-loader-manager in the search box. This package works for creating and/or editing both grub and grub4dos setups.

Thanks, that should do it. I have several other puppies and couldn't see how to add Carolina.

Roger

Billtoo

Carolina - 0.0.4

#467 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install of carolina 004 to an hp desktop pc.

Carolina, version 004 on Wed 28 Nov 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v1p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nvidia

X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

I've added a few pets, it's working well so far, thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(74.54 KiB) Downloaded 837 times

jpup

carolina 004 devx

#468 Post by jpup »

hi elroy just wanna ask where I could find the devx for 004
or is it ok to just use the one for 003?

thanks

great work by the way :) you should really take a break

elroy

Re: carolina 004 devx

#469 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:hi elroy just wanna ask where I could find the devx for 004
or is it ok to just use the one for 003?

thanks

great work by the way :) you should really take a break
You can use the devx for 003, just rename it 004.
Can't take a break. Next up is gonna be a Saluki-023-b. It'll be a Saluki with a new kernel (3.2.13-c non-PAE) and some upgraded packages. But it won't have any of the default packages changed, just some of them upgraded.

elroy

#470 Post by elroy »

We're trying a new links page out on the first post of this thread. It utilizes html5. Hopefully it works well for everyone, and doesn't cause any confusion. Basically, it was a new toy that Geoffrey and I wanted to try out.

jpup

#471 Post by jpup »

wow! what a busy schedule.

I made a new wallpaper :)

jpup

carolina links

#472 Post by jpup »

elroy wrote:We're trying a new links page out on the first post of this thread. It utilizes html5. Hopefully it works well for everyone, and doesn't cause any confusion. Basically, it was a new toy that Geoffrey and I wanted to try out.
well, the new links look good... I think it's better that way rather than having to click separate ones from the 1st page of the thread

thanks

EDIT- it looks a bit weird though if you're using a browser that doesn't support html5, I have my firefox on mobile phone user agent... and the links have duplicates

rg66

#473 Post by rg66 »

Edit SFS with right click > send to > Edit SFS with choice of xz or gz compression has been updated to include create md5 text. See my original post here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 599#667599
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Roger Hunter

icon label color

#474 Post by Roger Hunter »

Right clicking on an Icon or it's label does not bring up any way to change anything

Did I misunderstand something?

Roger

Marv

Re: icon label color

#475 Post by Marv »

Roger Hunter wrote:Right clicking on an Icon or it's label does not bring up any way to change anything

Roger
That was for a ROX based desktop. Assuming you are in Carolina or lina, try using the xfce power tools in the control panel.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Allows some modification of desktop icon properties in xfce
(65.84 KiB) Downloaded 642 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Roger Hunter

Re: icon label color

#476 Post by Roger Hunter »

Marv wrote:
Roger Hunter wrote:Right clicking on an Icon or it's label does not bring up any way to change anything

Roger
That was for a ROX based desktop. Assuming you are in Carolina or lina, try using the xfce power tools in the control panel.
Aha! That did it - once I figured out how to save the changes.

Thanks!

Roger

jpup

carolina 004

#477 Post by jpup »

suspend to ram on carolina 004 now works on my notebook, yahoo!:)

it didn't work in 002 and 003

now it's time for me to sleep.

Geoffrey

#478 Post by Geoffrey »

I found a small error with a missing asterisk in Thunar custom actions " Play Sound ", the appearance condition reads " .wav;*.au " it should be the same as the image below " *.wav;*.au "
Attachments
custom_action.jpg
(70.82 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

okokoook

#479 Post by okokoook »

glad to see carolina 004 is out. i have been a big fan of saluki and carolina for a while. and i am doing localization of carolina in Chinese to let carolina be more friendly to some of my friends. i know there is a thing called "pup-volume-monitor" which offers convenient function of managing and mounting drives. i just wonder could anyone be kind enough to spend some time explaining the concept of how to let pup-volume-monitor autostart at startup and be able to monitor any prompt changes to drives such as a new usb stickdrive plugged in. i know this may not be relevant to this thread, but i really want to figure out how this functions. i hereby do not mean to make any offense against any carolina developers and users. i will really appreciate any help on this. please forgive my poor English if anything i wrote caused any misunderstanding. thank you

regards
michael

elroy

#480 Post by elroy »

okokoook wrote:glad to see carolina 004 is out. i have been a big fan of saluki and carolina for a while. and i am doing localization of carolina in Chinese to let carolina be more friendly to some of my friends. i know there is a thing called "pup-volume-monitor" which offers convenient function of managing and mounting drives. i just wonder could anyone be kind enough to spend some time explaining the concept of how to let pup-volume-monitor autostart at startup and be able to monitor any prompt changes to drives such as a new usb stickdrive plugged in. i know this may not be relevant to this thread, but i really want to figure out how this functions. i hereby do not mean to make any offense against any carolina developers and users. i will really appreciate any help on this. please forgive my poor English if anything i wrote caused any misunderstanding. thank you

regards
michael
The pup-volume-monitor is started automatically on both Saluki and Carolina by default. It does this with a custom volume-monitor script located in the /etc/init.d directory.

You can find a lot more information about the pup-volume-monitor, including its' source code, from here. akash_rawal is the author of the software. He gives a pretty good description and is good about answering questions.

Good luck in your efforts to localize carolina.