ArchPup - Puppy based on Arch Linux

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mavrothal

#41 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:New version is finished and uploading...
Super :D
Do you plan to provide a devx sfs? Downloading the devel packages really takes a lot of space (since they are uncompressed) in the save file.

But we certainly need the kernel-headers since any (driver) compiling fails with

Code: Select all

C processor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
and the config.log says
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:39:26: fatal error: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
BTW, I had to update the glibc from the Arch repo to work. Is ArchPup using a modified/overstripped glibc?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#42 Post by simargl »

New version plus development add-on and kernel source are available
for download. See first post...

@mavrothal: When main sfs file is created folowing is moved to
package called arch-dev: /usr/include,/usr/share/aclocal,/usr/lib/pkgconfig,
/usr/lib/*.a,/usr/share/gir-1.0. Size of that package is arount 15MB.

oui

#43 Post by oui »

Hi Simargl

I did remaster ArchPup1204 for me with Iceape 2.7.7, flashplayer, and a small version from Puppy Linux of OO 2.2 (as it is really enough for me) without Java. Including, of course, /root/.start with my keyboard map (us_intl which is VERY different from the same us_intl in the most other distributions including Puppy! a great among of special char seems not to be available at all; if it is the same with the most keyboard maps it would mean that all user will have great acustumation difficulties; perhaps it is only a matter of short name of keyboard maps?)

I have now to extend my menu with soffice scalc swriter and simpress.

But I was estonished don't to find mksquashfs to rebuild my arch-1204.sfs (size is now 260 MB according Thunar). Did you use an other tool to build the arch-1204.sfs (I did make it with an other Puppy with mksquashfs of /usr/sbin from the other Puppy, but it is really not the best solution)?

Kind regards
Last edited by oui on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 21:16, edited 2 times in total.

simargl

#44 Post by simargl »

Hello oui,

mksquashfs command is in development add-on, but you
can install it with pacman -S squashfs-tools. Good luck with remaster :D

oui

#45 Post by oui »

Hi Simargl

Thank you very much. I is already remastered and works (I am using it now :wink: )!

Keyboard:
perhaps it is only a matter of short name of keyboard maps?

My own version:
I will include later in my own version a /root/.mozilla/seamonkey with a content with a few of my lovely url's, pseudonyms and passwords to work totaly without save file and for this reason without indiscret history etc., starting each day with minimal private date equipment for maximal discretion!

this is the reason why I would not like to be asked each day as in other puppy's if I will create a save file :wink: . I will no save file for maximal security: I save using thunar or the file managers included in the applications only the documents. No history, no dot-something-file, no cookies from the day before!!

Kind regards

oui

#46 Post by oui »

Oh!

I am happy! I see that Iceape can show videos like

http://france3.fr/jt/20h

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HqQoLq5c2c

good!

mavrothal

#47 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:@mavrothal: When main sfs file is created folowing is moved to
package called arch-dev: /usr/include,/usr/share/aclocal,/usr/lib/pkgconfig,
/usr/lib/*.a,/usr/share/gir-1.0. Size of that package is arount 15MB.
The comments were for 1204. 1204-1 with dev-archpup loaded, works just fine OOB for compiling :D

You may want to add Xdialog and gktdialog-splash in a future release since a lot of puppy apps/scripts are using them.

One problem I had is the absence of /dev/pts and /dev/shm from the build. This resulted in one of my machines failing to boot to the desktop (retrying for ever...), while another got to the desktop OK but failed to open the terminal (that gave me the hint about /dev/pts)
Adding "mkdir /dev/pts" and "mount /dev/pts" in /root/.start solved both problems!

To that end, would be nice if there was some way to drop to console in ArchPup. Debugging would be much easier :wink:

Coming to the wireless, Pwireless works (as a program) but loading the interface has issues, because "it can not find the firmware" (libertas_sdio and usb8xxx). However, the firmware and the kernel modules are there (and known to work in every other puppy). I assume that is has to do with the rc.sysinit (or maybe udev) but did not have time to look at it yet.

Other than that, looks good!
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

oui

#48 Post by oui »

Hi Simargl

I miss actually a very important hability in the system: It refuses to manage https pages because it did not found some PSM (personal security management). I find it is a major equipment for all personal linuxes (and a lot of special linuxes dedicaced to reduced functions like server etc.).

Next question is, there is no printer and no scanner! This is a thing that is admissible as you have SFS-load-on-fly. But your system needs somewhat (a SFS for printing through CUPS, Gutenprint, Xsane and Gnu-OCR; it is a little tricky because of the dependences, if I remenber right Samba as well as Gimp belong as a lot of other big things to the dependencies, and it has usually to start as demon)!

I don't find. that both, PSM included, and SFS for printing/scanner, would be somewhat that the user post install using the Arch's package manager...

Kind regards

simargl

#49 Post by simargl »

One problem I had is the absence of /dev/pts and /dev/shm from the build. This resulted in one of my machines failing to boot to the desktop (retrying for ever...), while another got to the desktop OK but failed to open the terminal (that gave me the hint about /dev/pts)
Adding "mkdir /dev/pts" and "mount /dev/pts" in /root/.start solved both problems!
In early stage experimenting with Archpup I tried to use all default dev entries from woof.
System would boot, but terminal didn't start with same error (missing /dev/pts). After that fixed
there was no sound, alsamixer complained about missing /dev/mixer, so I decided to remove all
dev entries and edit sysinit.rc so it will populate dev automatically during boot.
To that end, would be nice if there was some way to drop to console in ArchPup. Debugging would be much easier
Currently Xorg is started from /etc/profile with this:

if [ ! -f /usr/bin/X ]; then
  echo "Sorry, cannot start X. Link /usr/bin/X missing."
else
  exec archpupx
fi
If I replace it to start X only once (on boot):

if [ ! -f /usr/bin/X ]; then
  echo "Sorry, cannot start X. Link /usr/bin/X missing."
else
  if [ ! -f /tmp/runonce ]; then
  touch /tmp/runonce
  exec archpupx
  fi
fi
... it would work one time and not another. Perhaps someone can help.

@oui : If you have problems accessing https web pages, you might try firefox, its working here..

mavrothal

#50 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:
In early stage experimenting with Archpup I tried to use all default dev entries from woof.
System would boot, but terminal didn't start with same error (missing /dev/pts). After that fixed
there was no sound, alsamixer complained about missing /dev/mixer, so I decided to remove all
dev entries and edit sysinit.rc so it will populate dev automatically during boot.
Adding *just* the mount point folders and not any devices in dev does not affect other functions (at least at my end). I think udev can not make these mount points if absent. /dev/shm is needed in case you implement the fscheck function of puppy.

anikin

#51 Post by anikin »

The keyboard layout is still broken in this build.
when I type "pacman, Hi simargl, exit" in the terminal, it gives me this:
-ac0an
H5 s50arg3,
ex5t

I solved the issue by deleting the 'setxkbmap us &' entry from .start and adding a keyboard section to xorg.conf from another puppy build:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option      "XkbModel" "pc102" #xkbmodel0
	Option      "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0
EndSection
The trick seems to work. I managed to install Firefox using the terminal, although it was version 12. Then I created the save file, but there was no prompt to save on shutdown and both Firefox and the keyboard trick are gone on a fresh boot. How do I use the save file in this puppy?

Keef

#52 Post by Keef »

Anakin

The problems with keyboard input you had are probably because numlock is on - I'm guessing you are using a laptop?

slenkar

#53 Post by slenkar »

Is it my imagination or is this faster than other puppies

I created a save-file with the GUI. If I shutdown it will save right?

simargl

#54 Post by simargl »

Hi anikin,

Thanks for reporting this, but what happens if you add this keyboard section
to xorg.conf and also leave setxkbmap us in .start. Will it then work?

You probably found it, but anyway for creating savefile go to
System->Setup ->Make personal savefile.
This will create empty savefile, to start using it you must reboot first.

slenkar

#55 Post by slenkar »

I created a save file
I put it in sda6/archpup/archpup

but when I rebooted it was like a new install, all data was gone.

I looked in the directory and the save file was there

mavrothal

#56 Post by mavrothal »

mavrothal wrote: Coming to the wireless, Pwireless works (as a program) but loading the interface has issues, because "it can not find the firmware" (libertas_sdio and usb8xxx). However, the firmware and the kernel modules are there (and known to work in every other puppy). I assume that is has to do with the rc.sysinit (or maybe udev) but did not have time to look at it yet.
Turns out that at least in my case is the udev. I installed a udev-167 that I had compiled some time ago for wary/racy/saluki and the wifi now works. /dev/pts is still needed though :?

Another problem is that Geany has strange colors on 16bit depth screens. That was also in Ubuntu Precise (and Precise puppy) and needs recompiling.
slenkar wrote:I created a save file
I put it in sda6/archpup/archpup

but when I rebooted it was like a new install
Yes ArchPup needs some work there...
Will not write on the save file during the same boot that you created it. But will find it on next boot and use it.

So boot, create a save file and reboot.

oui

save file

#57 Post by oui »

Hi

It is a great figure of ArchPup 1204 don't to use some save file and don't to disturb the user with bad little windows asking for this or that (localization, start infos for newbies etc.). The good place for such disturbing messages is under the menu under subdivision >setup or >system or >help (help would be of course important! especially if the system reacts differently as other puplets).

The second great figure of ArchPup 1204 is to be relatively empty from applications suites so users can easily use it as start point for FOREIGN LANGUAGE PUPLETS :idea:

Kind regards

stifiling

#58 Post by stifiling »

anyone using a bcm43xx/broadcom wireless card. i cannot get the usual b43 wireless driver working. I'm installing the firmware to /lib/firmware...yet and still i'm getting firmware not found under dmesg.

oui

#59 Post by oui »

Hi
I see there were a mplayer installed but probably removed?

I would like to reinstall it, but if possible only the most simple version without front end. is such a version available? what is to install to have a well working system (starting by hitting in Thunar on the icone wished to be played)? There are principally youtube downloads made using the puppy youtube downloader...

or is that possible using directly flashplayer.so from /mozilla/plugins ?

Kind regards
simargl wrote:@oui : If you have problems accessing https web pages, you might try firefox, its working here..
I confirm: it works here in links

anikin

#60 Post by anikin »

simargl wrote:but what happens if you add this keyboard section to xorg.conf and also leave setxkbmap us in .start. Will it then work?

No, it will not work that way. And I should have been more specific in my initial post. Actually, I deleted both these lines:
setxkbmap us &
numlockx on &
from .start, before adding the keyboard section to xorg.conf.

This has to be clarified in the light of what Keef says:
Keef wrote:The problems with keyboard input you had are probably because numlock is on - I'm guessing you are using a laptop?

Yes, I'm using a netbook, and just removing the 'numlockx on &' line from .start solves the issue. No need to add the keyboard section to xorg.conf, and as a matter of fact, no need to add any keyboard entries to .start. To the best of my knowledge, if you do not specify a keyboard layout, the system will use the default setting, which happens to be the us keyboard layout.

Regarding the save file - it does not work here even after reboot. During shutdown I can see some text saying that 'save config can't be found in usr/sbin or usr/bin', or something similar.