Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012

News, happenings
01micko

#661 Post by 01micko »

Jades wrote:
01micko wrote:As far as you dmesg goes, I see a lot of activity regarding wlan0, but no critical errors as such. Rather peculiar.
Rather! The really odd thing is that the network icon on the taskbar still shows that it's connected even though nothing's happening. Is there any chance of you including v. 1.9.6 of carl9170 in RC2? It might not fix the problem but it could be worth a shot.
It's a bit late for RC2, but I should be able to build a pet for you to test. If any good I'll include it in final.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jades

#662 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:As far as you dmesg goes, I see a lot of activity regarding wlan0, but no critical errors as such. Rather peculiar.
The reason for there being a lot of wlan0 activity in the log is me having to repeatedly kick it back into life by reloading the profile and putting the IP addresses back in. No useful errors at all, annoyingly. It just silently falls over, the only sign anything's wrong is when whatever one is actually trying to do eventually times out.
01micko wrote:
Jades wrote:[Is there any chance of you including v. 1.9.6 of carl9170 in RC2? It might not fix the problem but it could be worth a shot.
It's a bit late for RC2, but I should be able to build a pet for you to test. If any good I'll include it in final.
OK, thanks. I thought about trying to download the firmware myself but was a little thrown by the one in Slacko ending .ko rather than the .fw of the one from that carl9170 page.

You'll be pleased to learn that my first attempt at creating a new save on the NTFS drive in 5.3.9.5 worked perfectly. This version of Slacko just flies on the Pentium D, I hope my wireless problem gets fixed,
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

ally

#663 Post by ally »

hey 01micko

just downloaded and frugal installed RC2 PAE to a lenovo t61, found everything straight away

early doors yet but have noticed that the frugal did not install to a folder like 5.3.3 (small 3gb partition running ext2)

not a fan of opera so have loaded a chromium (22) sfs which was asking for an updated plugin - updated to 11..

have loaded my default apps of x11server, tightvnc and wolgui from the old slacko which appear to be running correctly but menu'd to utilities (sorry don't have the skills to help create pets n stuff). also skype2.1beta sfs seems ok

5.3.3 pae did not work for me but this one looks good

sincerest thanks for the hard work (et. al)

:)

Jades

#664 Post by Jades »

Noticed a number of oddities with the Menu.

It seems a little pointless to have a submenu in Network when there's only one category in there. Internet is a single-level menu, Network could be too.

X-Chat is in Network->Remote - should be in Internet.

Geany is in Utility->Utilities - wouldn't somewhere under Document be more appropriate?

GIMP 2.8.2 SFS creates menu entries in both Graphic->Graphics and Graphic->Edit.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

01micko

#665 Post by 01micko »

ally

Yeah, not everybody likes Opera but it is the smallest of the big browsers. I like chrome browsers too, but at getting close to 50 M [ :shock: ] they are a bit big for a standard pup. Chromium-25 and Chrome-23 are in the PPM for anyone interested

Jades

Noted about your menu concerns. Probably the worst one is Xchat. I should have fixed that .oh.. about a year ago! Will fix.

Geany, well technically it's an IDE, I like it where it is, but I can see your point. I won't change it now, but will consider that in the future.

Generally, some folks don't like submenus at all. You can be rid of them by editing /root/.jwm/JWMRC and you'll see SUBMENUS="0" (or is it 1?), doesn't matter, change it to SUBMENUS="" and run fixmenus

With gimp, that bug will have to stay for the time being as I am having difficulty uploading anything bigger than a couple of meg to ibiblio. This trouble has been ongoing. Sorry about that.

------------------------------

By the way..

All versions of RC2 are now uploaded.

See Main Post

01micko

#666 Post by 01micko »

Jades wrote:The homepage for carl9170 seems to be http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170. I'm not sure which version is currently in Slacko 5.3.7.7 or how to check.
Hmmm.... process looks a bit involved to compile the driver.

Attached is the latest carl9170-1.fw. Just install and reboot. It over writes the current one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LATER: ok well I obtained the source code for the particular kernel.. but

Code: Select all

#define CARL9170FW_VERSION_GIT "1.9.4"
..looks we're stuck with that version for k3.2.xx.

Looks like there are all sorts of problems with that wifi device. One thing that grabed my attention from the carl9170 page:
Users should be aware that these devices might go mad from time to time. Because these BUGs seem to occur too randomly to be identified, but happen often enough to be really annoying, the firmware and driver come with some convenient features to keep the overall downtime at a minimum and without requiring any user intervention. But as mention before there is a caveat: The user has to setup everything properly!

In general: The userspace has to be able to restore connectivity on its own as soon as the device reappears on the USB-Hub.
Note the bold bit. That's where the "dropwait" for Frisbee comes into play. At this point in time only Frisbee can use that feature. rerwin has been working on integrating the "dropwait" option into the other Puppy network tools. So my advice is to use Frisbee and set the "dropwait" to maximum (15).

Failing that, use Network Wizard, unload carl9170 and try ndiswrapper.

Best I can do.

EDIT: well 1 better, added rcrsn51's "stay-connected" pet to the repo, under "Network"
Attachments
carl-9170-2.pet
(9.84 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:45, edited 2 times in total.

Sage

#667 Post by Sage »

Might be doing something wrong? Used the Flashboot utility. It completed making the device bootable, offered to install Puppy but message says 'can't find .iso' on CD followed by message' wait while installing' - which it wasn't. Reverted to the standard PUI.

bigpup

#668 Post by bigpup »

Sage wrote:Might be doing something wrong? Used the Flashboot utility. It completed making the device bootable, offered to install Puppy but message says 'can't find .iso' on CD followed by message' wait while installing' - which it wasn't. Reverted to the standard PUI.
Were you booting and running from the live Slacko CD?
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

vicmz

Language pack for Slacko

#669 Post by vicmz »

Forum member josejp2424 has reported that the Spanish language pack adds extra menu entries in Slacko. He doesn't specify what version of Slacko is using, but it is known that in Slacko 5.3.3 this does happen.

Language packs have a collection of .desktop files for menu entries of many Puppy versions, including derivatives, they are stored in a special separate folder called applications.in at /usr/share, so that when the system language is changed, the translations at /usr/share/applications.in are copied only to existing entries at /usr/share/applications. Josejp2424 reported that Precise Puppy doesn't have the bug, this is because it had many bug fixes recently including handling of menu entries. However, as you can see in the picture below, in Precise extra files are added to /usr/share/applications too, but the menu doesn't display those extra entries.

I can't download Slacko RC2 to test, so please could someone test the language pack and tell if the bug is still present?:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/jcu3bdwsmml8od ... 8.pet?dl=1
[/url]
Attachments
image-3.png
(104.05 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Sage

#670 Post by Sage »

Were you booting and running from the live Slacko CD?
Yes - is this dumb?!

rcrsn51

#671 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sage wrote:Might be doing something wrong? Used the Flashboot utility. It completed making the device bootable, offered to install Puppy but message says 'can't find .iso' on CD followed by message' wait while installing' - which it wasn't. Reverted to the standard PUI.
The ISO file itself is not on the CD. The contents of the ISO are.

IIRC, the Bootflash installer is designed for users who have downloaded the ISO but don't want to burn a CD.

ally

#672 Post by ally »

fresh (frugal) install to a dell dx520 p4 2.8gHz machine that has been on a shelf

now forming my music server attached to the hifi stack (run out of room on my desktop for iso's........)

livecd boot found everything as usual, had a little trouble on first save (it didn't) but it did put into a frugal directory this time, so will check the install on my t61

running quickly. have intsalled wolgui, simplesamba, x11server and tightvnc from old 5.3.3 pets and working fine

has no trouble running as thin client without keyboard/mouse

just copy mp3's across network to give a full test but looking really good

edit - now have a couple of desktops hooked up to my network for storage/music so have plenty of processors free to do compiling BUT I don't know how, if anybody close (ish) to lincoln (uk) who could help please get in touch - ta!
Last edited by ally on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

Re: Language pack for Slacko

#673 Post by L18L »

vicmz wrote:...
I can't download Slacko RC2 to test, so please could someone test the language pack and tell if the bug is still present?:.
Esta bien?

------
found another bug
console wrote:# fixmenus
/usr/bin/jwm_menu_create: /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/jwm: line 14: jwm_UtilityUtilities: not found
#
..and thus fixmenus does NOT fix menus
line 14 wrote:jwm_UtilityUtilities #=""
maybe should be:
#jwm_UtilityUtilities =""
Attachments
capture817.png
leafpad spanish in menu
?anything else you want to know?
(48.05 KiB) Downloaded 812 times

ETP

Testing slacko-5.3.9.5-opera-4g.iso (md5-o/k USB boot)

#674 Post by ETP »

01micko

Having completed the first-run screens I opted to reboot in order to create a savefile before proceeding further. No sizes were offered then the screen below appeared. Not sure I passed the sanity test or not. :lol:

IIRC there was some sort of recent woof fix for saving to whole partitions. Not that I was going to try that but the "fix" may account for this.
Attachments
capture29994.png
(18.96 KiB) Downloaded 797 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Sage

#675 Post by Sage »

users who ... don't want to burn a CD
Gee, thanks again rc. Guessed I had it wrong - don't usually go down this route; usually test as liveCD then install as FULL. Learn something new every day.

ally

#676 Post by ally »

music playing nicely from dell desktop via pmusic (thanks sigmund)

have noticed a typo in ffconvert, says 'souce' instead of source

both t61 and desktop running nicely

Last edited by ally on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#677 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of 5.3.9.5 Opera on the Athlon XP box........ everything looking good. :)
Attachments
Slacko 5.3.9.5.png
(183.13 KiB) Downloaded 1126 times

01micko

Re: Language pack for Slacko

#678 Post by 01micko »

L18L wrote: maybe should be:
#jwm_UtilityUtilities =""
Thanks, fixed
ETP wrote:Having completed the first-run screens I opted to reboot in order to create a savefile before proceeding further. No sizes were offered then the screen below appeared..
Can you reproduce this? If so can you provide exact steps so I can see what goes wrong. Include what media and filesystem you want to save to, size of partition, your boot media and anything else you think relevant.
If you can reproduce this then it would have occurred in beta4 and RC1 as the only change to the shut down routine is the NTFS bugfix since November 12.

Anyone else see this?

If I hear nothing in the next 24 hrs regarding this issue, I'll add shinobar's pupsaveconfig to the repo as a possible work around with an advisory in the release notes.

-

Some notes on installation:

There are about say a thousand [?] ways to install puppy.

If you boot from a subfolder it will save to that subfolder. If you use PUI to create a frugal to HDD it will create a subfolder. I think it's still possible to save up to 3 levels deep but this is not advised. Tweaking the kernel line of your boot loader config may be necessary (menu.lst in most cases).

If you boot from CD it will save to the top level.

You can use PUI to create an USB install and it will save to the top level. For multiple pups on an USB you can manually create the stick with subfolders and use ETP's tut to boot with syslinux or other tuts using grub4dos on the stick. I believe grub2, lilo and grub legacy can work too, and of course if you format to ext2/3/4 extlinux (still part of syslinux).

Save files can be moved around as long as puppy knows where to find it, specified in your bootloader config.

01micko

#679 Post by 01micko »

James C wrote:Fresh frugal install of 5.3.9.5 Opera on the Athlon XP box........ everything looking good. :)
CatDude compiled conky 1.9 plus LUA and imlib2 and it is included in the PPM, just FYI.

James C

#680 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:
James C wrote:Fresh frugal install of 5.3.9.5 Opera on the Athlon XP box........ everything looking good. :)
CatDude compiled conky 1.9 plus LUA and imlib2 and it is included in the PPM, just FYI.
I'll check it out. Thanks.

Guess I probably should explore the PPM once in a while..... :lol: