Lighthouse 64 5.15 Final

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Q5sys

BETA Nvidia driver

#141 Post by Q5sys »

Meeki... that flash pet didnt work for me. :( However after upgrading to the newest NVIDIA driver the problem has disappeared. So there must have been something wonky between your nvidia pet and my system that caused it to suddenly go weird.

But... you've got nvidia, you want to test this out and see if it runs smooth on your system?
http://puppy-linux.org/q5sys/nvidia-310 ... LHP515.pet MD5 = ee060faa1fa3e7de26319fb9e6d073ac
I left everything in there... so Im sure it can be trimmed down in size if its confirmed that it works well.

If anyone else wants to test this feel free. However I'd recommend doing it in a clean save file so you dont nuke your system if it fails horribly.

mrbulldog

Lighthouse64

#142 Post by mrbulldog »

specs:
i7-3770k
asus p8z77-v pro
intel 520 120gb ssd
16gb ram

I would love to see lighthouse boot on this machine.
No available boot options for video display worked for me
There is obviously no video driver

All other puppies boot on that machine.
Flickering vertical lines is the best I can get with lighthouse.
Trying to drop to shell no good. Confused
Attachments
1.jpg
(104.83 KiB) Downloaded 722 times

Q5sys

Re: Lighthouse64

#143 Post by Q5sys »

mrbulldog wrote:specs:
i7-3770k
asus p8z77-v pro
intel 520 120gb ssd
16gb ram

I would love to see lighthouse boot on this machine.

When you are booting, try the option: nomodeset pfix=vesa

meeki

#144 Post by meeki »

Q5sys:
But... you've got nvidia, you want to test this out and see if it runs smooth on your system?
http://puppy-linux.org/q5sys/nvidia-310 ... LHP515.pet MD5 = ee060faa1fa3e7de26319fb9e6d073ac
Can't use them as it does not support my card. I have 7900 GS's and your drivers stop at the 8000 series cards. Ive been looking for a set of used cards but I find GeForce 9500's and lower IE no 8800's 9800's and or some of the low end 200 and 300 series cards that are slower than my 7900's

my cards are 1380 MHz (effective) ddr3 256-bit
9500 are 800Mhz Effective ddr2 128-bit

hell even a new 630 nvidia card for 69 bucks is just starting to be better than the 7900's
630 1600 MHz (effective) ddr3 128 bit

So I'll stick with my 7900's for now until I can replace both of them for less than $150 bucks.

Allot of people dont know the trickery of nvidia cards.

The first Digit is the represents the card series
The next 2 or 3 digits denote the range ( this is how powerful the card is )

So a you can have a 7900 card thats faster than a 9500

Little FYI for the non nvida guys so they don't get took to the cleaners :)

meeki

EDIT: I suggest we start separating our drivers. IE mine labeled legacy drivers and yours as is.

gcmartin

Games - Checkers and PacMan for Linux

#145 Post by gcmartin »

Are there any Pure Linux Checkers game. Or old PacMan available?

Thanks if there is.

Jasper

#146 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

There is a Portable Linux Draughts/Checkers app which
works well with Precise 5.4 PAE. It's excellent.

It's 343 K - I forget where I got it from - so google.

My regards
Last edited by Jasper on Tue 27 Nov 2012, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.

Q5sys

#147 Post by Q5sys »

meeki wrote: Can't use them as it does not support my card. I have 7900 GS's and your drivers stop at the 8000 series cards. Ive been looking for a set of used cards but I find GeForce 9500's and lower IE no 8800's 9800's and or some of the low end 200 and 300 series cards that are slower than my 7900's

my cards are 1380 MHz (effective) ddr3 256-bit
9500 are 800Mhz Effective ddr2 128-bit
Maybe you'd be interested in my pair of nvidia cards when I replace them with my new system.
hey... maybe you'll just want my i5 and mobo and ram too. ;)

meeki

#148 Post by meeki »

Q5sys
Maybe you'd be interested in my pair of nvidia cards when I replace them with my new system.
hey... maybe you'll just want my i5 and mobo and ram too.
I know you can get way more than $150 USD for them cards so unless you plan on selling them to a cherity case put em up on ebay.

If you do sell them to me I'll donate my cards free to another lighthouse user. I'm sure they would bring pleasure to someone.

As for the i5 mobo I cant afford that until 2 months after Christmas. Oh family life. Bought my Wife a CRV 2 months ago and its put a hamper on the budget. Its paid flat out though so it will only hurt for a few more months until i build up the savings again.

Thanks for the offer though. Get your moneys worth.

meeki

Barburo

Free Geek

#149 Post by Barburo »

Hey Meeki
Free geek started in Portland. Have you tried them as a source for inexpensive computer parts?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Geek

I'm lucky enough to have a "Free Geek" ethical computer recycler near me.
I used to volunteer for them and whenever I need a new box or a sound or graphics card, or any replacement part, new monitor etc. I just go by, and buy (really not expensive) and they've got lots to choose from. If it doesn't work or there's conflicts they credit you.

Second line of supply is thrift stores but it's strictly at your own risk, although some will credit you if stuff doesn't work.

Look for computer recyclers or similar in the phone book or on-line for your area.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

tazoc

Re: Lighthouse64

#150 Post by tazoc »

mrbulldog wrote:I would love to see lighthouse boot on this machine.

mrbulldog,

I'm working on a new build of Lighthouse 64 with a newer kernel, Xorg and glibc; hopefully it will work better with recent hardware. ATI already considers my Radeon HD 3200 video a legacy product, however they do still offer a driver for it. It seems my box is getting outdated even though it is 64-bit. :(

I'm saving up for a receiver before I can update my desktop, mine is an ancient stereo, it doesn't even have a remote control!

-TaZoC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

meeki

#151 Post by meeki »

Sorry Ive Been AFK for awhile guys. My last final is WED and im done with school for the rest of the month. I have some holoday plans but nothing more than 3 days.

The rest of the time I'll be focusing on:

LHPUP Record (minimizing the display and making pop-outs, making a Aspect ratio selection)

Games (Will work on making more pet / SFS games )

JAVA pets / SFS (have a few more I want to do, A new megasquirt and megalog viewer for sure)

Any requests I can complete.

Looking forward to WED :)

meeki

Puppyt

#152 Post by Puppyt »

Hi meeki,
my final is on Thursday - hope you enjoy your extra day of freedom :) Good Luck with yours.
I should have been studying but I spotted this from scsijon - 'Builder wanted for grass - Geographic Information System Pet' http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82289. My wife would find it *very* useful - she's doing a course on holistic farm management which uses ideas based on Permaculture etc etc. Could you sort out a LightHouse 64-specific pet, please? I just downloaded the source tar.gz and install script, made them executable etc but I haven't the nous to get it going (hmmm I should be studying - desperately need to pass these exams)
Cheers :)
[EDIT: Holistic farm management http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zavLvBU9 ... ture=share]
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

meeki

#153 Post by meeki »

Barburo said:
Hey Meeki
Free geek started in Portland. Have you tried them as a source for inexpensive computer parts?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Geek

I'm lucky enough to have a "Free Geek" ethical computer recycler near me.
I used to volunteer for them and whenever I need a new box or a sound or graphics card, or any replacement part, new monitor etc. I just go by, and buy (really not expensive) and they've got lots to choose from. If it doesn't work or there's conflicts they credit you.

Second line of supply is thrift stores but it's strictly at your own risk, although some will credit you if stuff doesn't work.

Look for computer recyclers or similar in the phone book or on-line for your area.
Good Info. I called free geek and they only had some 8600's in for $28 bucks. Not a bid price but I was looking for 8800 minimum.

Called 2 recylers and they said only 1 9800 for 55USD and the other place said SOL but when they do get them they sell them fast for $30 so good deal if they had them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I kept my eye on craigs list and today when I was tired of working on one of my final papers I found a GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB DDR5 for 60USD :shock:
I called they guy and asked if he had it and he said yep and he has 3 calls on it and is leaving for work in 1hr and the other guys could not make it in time. I said be there in 20min. He gave me an address to a house so I was not too worried about it being a bad card sold to me in a parking lot where i could never find the guy again.

It was priced low for 2 reasons 1) it came with no box, no cables, nothing... just the card. 2) he had it for a few months and then got some brand new top of the line something and did not want it any more.

took it home and it works SCORE!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So the bad but turned good.

I now had 3 monitors and only 1 card with 2 DVI's and because of the drivers issue from 7000 cards and newer drivers I could not run the new card and one of the 7900 to power the other 2 work screens.

I called up one of my computer surplus sellers Ive been using for years and asked him what he had. (He told me that one of the 2GB ddr2 rams I traded him had a cap fall off and was bad so I said What can you give me for 2 7900 geforce cards to fix the ram prob and get me a second card that would play nice with the nvidia.

He had this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814133211

A Nvidia Quadro NVS for my small pci express slot 1X. 256mb card and it works great in light house. It does 2 more monitors just fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well no time for gamming got to get back to school.

oh Puppyt I'll look into your pogram WED night. I took a look and it seems doable.

Q5sys

#154 Post by Q5sys »

meeki wrote: He had this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814133211

A Nvidia Quadro NVS for my small pci express slot 1X. 256mb card and it works great in light house. It does 2 more monitors just fine.
You've had luck bundling a quadro card with another nvidia card?

meeki

#155 Post by meeki »

Q5sys:
Yep no issues ive seen now on all 3 screens.

Is this a solution for your 6 monitor issue ?
Last edited by meeki on Sun 09 Dec 2012, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

Q5sys

#156 Post by Q5sys »

meeki wrote:Q5sys:
Yep no issues ive seen now on all 3 screens.

nifty... wonder if I can just add one of those to my current SLI 550ti setup to sqeeze out another 2 screens on my system. That would save me considerable money from buying a new GPU.

meeki

#157 Post by meeki »

Id give it a go. Just for giggles I played some DVD video on them and some simple games and the quadro held up just fine for extra screens. if you have some extra pci one short slots this could do it.

Q5sys

#158 Post by Q5sys »

meeki wrote:Id give it a go. Just for giggles I played some DVD video on them and some simple games and the quadro held up just fine for extra screens. if you have some extra pci one short slots this could do it.
I might want to just buy a Quadro 450 then and call it a day. I've got one more PCI-e x16 on my board. I dont do gaming so I dont need power... just display capabilities.
Or I could grab the 420 which uses a PCI-e x1 port

Q5sys

#159 Post by Q5sys »

Q5sys wrote:
meeki wrote:Id give it a go. Just for giggles I played some DVD video on them and some simple games and the quadro held up just fine for extra screens. if you have some extra pci one short slots this could do it.
I might want to just buy a Quadro 450 then and call it a day. I've got one more PCI-e x16 on my board. I dont do gaming so I dont need power... just display capabilities.
Or I could grab the 420 which uses a PCI-e x1 port
I just got a NVS 290... we'll see how it goes.

I dont need 12 screens... but I am eyeing up this:

Pete22

loaded lhp 5.15 F today

#160 Post by Pete22 »

Hello lighthouse friends,

Found a possible bug in the Xfce menu.
Totally reproducible by me.

Go to Settings.
Click on Background Settings
Desktop Backgrounds Settings comes up instead.

I opened PupControl and was able to start the program from there.

Anyone else see this?

Pete