Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
okokoook

#481 Post by okokoook »

elroy wrote:
okokoook wrote:glad to see carolina 004 is out. i have been a big fan of saluki and carolina for a while. and i am doing localization of carolina in Chinese to let carolina be more friendly to some of my friends. i know there is a thing called "pup-volume-monitor" which offers convenient function of managing and mounting drives. i just wonder could anyone be kind enough to spend some time explaining the concept of how to let pup-volume-monitor autostart at startup and be able to monitor any prompt changes to drives such as a new usb stickdrive plugged in. i know this may not be relevant to this thread, but i really want to figure out how this functions. i hereby do not mean to make any offense against any carolina developers and users. i will really appreciate any help on this. please forgive my poor English if anything i wrote caused any misunderstanding. thank you

regards
michael
The pup-volume-monitor is started automatically on both Saluki and Carolina by default. It does this with a custom volume-monitor script located in the /etc/init.d directory.

You can find a lot more information about the pup-volume-monitor, including its' source code, from here. akash_rawal is the author of the software. He gives a pretty good description and is good about answering questions.

Good luck in your efforts to localize carolina.
thank you so much for the reply.i will go to that thread and ask akash_rawal about my concerns. i am sorry for any bother. as a loyal fan of carolina, i am looking forward to further carolina release. thank you and all the carolina developers and those who put in effort improving carolina. thank you

best regards

michael

Bligh

#482 Post by Bligh »

At shutdown, 004 I cannot save to hdd, only to multi-session cd. Is this intentional ?
Cheers

Draker

Translate

#483 Post by Draker »

okokoook wrote:
elroy wrote:
okokoook wrote:glad to see carolina 004 is out. i have been a big fan of saluki and carolina for a while. and i am doing localization of carolina in Chinese to let carolina be more friendly to some of my friends. i know there is a thing called "pup-volume-monitor" which offers convenient function of managing and mounting drives. i just wonder could anyone be kind enough to spend some time explaining the concept of how to let pup-volume-monitor autostart at startup and be able to monitor any prompt changes to drives such as a new usb stickdrive plugged in. i know this may not be relevant to this thread, but i really want to figure out how this functions. i hereby do not mean to make any offense against any carolina developers and users. i will really appreciate any help on this. please forgive my poor English if anything i wrote caused any misunderstanding. thank you

regards
michael

The pup-volume-monitor is started automatically on both Saluki and Carolina by default. It does this with a custom volume-monitor script located in the /etc/init.d directory.

You can find a lot more information about the pup-volume-monitor, including its' source code, from here. akash_rawal is the author of the software. He gives a pretty good description and is good about answering questions.

thank you so much for the reply.i will go to that thread and ask akash_rawal about my concerns. i am sorry for any bother. as a loyal fan of carolina, i am looking forward to further carolina release. thank you and all the carolina developers and those who put in effort improving carolina. thank you

best regards

michael
Hello All.

I'm new to puppy, tried some puppy's and ended up at Carolina, Great Work!
Rightnow i'll give a try into translating Carolina for my native language, Dutch.
As far i'm aware, Carolina is at the base a Offspring to Wary5xx, therefore Momanager should be present? Maybe i'm wrong and missed something?

Thx for all your time and effort!

Regards, Berry.

Pete22

Gcompris 12.01 and Carolina 004

#484 Post by Pete22 »

This version is for made for lucid.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77215n

I wondered if it would work in Carolina. Did not want to try without asking.

Carolina 004 is very nice. It is running cooler than 003 on my sisters Asus laplop.

Also glad the Sensors Plugin is working now.

Pete

elroy

Re: Gcompris 12.01 and Carolina 004

#485 Post by elroy »

Pete22 wrote:This version is for made for lucid.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77215n

I wondered if it would work in Carolina. Did not want to try without asking.

Carolina 004 is very nice. It is running cooler than 003 on my sisters Asus laplop.

Also glad the Sensors Plugin is working now.

Pete
Hi Pete,

I installed the GCompris-12.01.pet and it ran flawlessly with the following caveat - it wiped out the majority of the icons in the main menu (see image below). But the program itself ran with no issues at all.

8-bit

#486 Post by 8-bit »

The links for the SFS files and checksum files give a 404 error on the download site.
The Pet package does not get past the robot check and also gives a link hijack error in Seamonkey.
Are there alternative sites for those downloads?

elroy

Re: Translate

#487 Post by elroy »

Draker wrote:
okokoook wrote:
elroy wrote:

best regards

michael
Hello All.

I'm new to puppy, tried some puppy's and ended up at Carolina, Great Work!
Rightnow i'll give a try into translating Carolina for my native language, Dutch.
As far i'm aware, Carolina is at the base a Offspring to Wary5xx, therefore Momanager should be present? Maybe i'm wrong and missed something?

Thx for all your time and effort!

Regards, Berry.
Yes, Carolina is derived from the version you speak of, but unfortunately it does not contain Momanager.

elroy

#488 Post by elroy »

8-bit wrote:The links for the SFS files and checksum files give a 404 error on the download site.
The Pet package does not get past the robot check and also gives a link hijack error in Seamonkey.
Are there alternative sites for those downloads?
That's odd. Using both the ppm and Firefox, I get no such errors. The pets/sfs files are hosted on smokey01 - http://smokey01.com/carolina/.

8-bit

#489 Post by 8-bit »

Sorry if my statement was confusing.
I was trying to follow the links in the post by Pete22 to get the SFS and Pet files that post indirectly links to.
I guess I am just a bit bored and wanted to get a version of Puppy working with Compiz to show off to some people that so called low spec computers can indeed do fancy graphics on the desktop whereas Every version of MS Winblows keeps saying the hardware is not good enough for that.
At one time, I had Slacko 5.3.1 set up for show. But I made the mistake of updating the files to Slacko 5.3.3 which in turn updated the slackosave and no more working comp-fusion for me.

Bligh

#490 Post by Bligh »

Carolina does not save on shutdown. The only option I saw was save to multisession cd. I burned a multisession cd, booted, made lots of changes. shutdown, went through the save process. no save file was created. I lost all the changes I made. Booting from this cd takes a long time.
Cheers

Pete22

Bligh - no save file

#491 Post by Pete22 »

I had that problem with a bad download on 004.
Check the iso's md5 to see if that might be the cause of your problem.

Pete

Bligh

#492 Post by Bligh »

md5 is correct. all cd's boot (slowly) but seem to run ok just no save.
multisession cd checks partly used rewritable.
Cheers

linux

#493 Post by linux »

004 Looks nice. It is working well on my setup.

Keep up the great work. Carolina is improving all the time....

rg66

puppy4kids

#494 Post by rg66 »

I made a comp for the kids and decided to start them on Carolina-004 instead of XP. Asus P4S533-MX, P4 2.66 Ghz, 748 MB RAM, 20GB HD and frugal install with a save file.

Stripped out a bunch of apps, moved a lot of start menu categories to control panel so they wont screw it up too much, and added GCompris, Tuxmath, Tuxpaint, Tuxtype and a bunch of games all running from SFS.

System runs pretty good and will hopefully keep them off of my comps!

If anyone knows of some more kids apps please let me know.

Also if someone knows how to get SFS's to load without a save file I would really appreciate it. Then it would be bullet proof!
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(51.34 KiB) Downloaded 615 times
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Sage

#495 Post by Sage »

No kids machine is complete without Tuxpuck and Tuxracer (also been re-named several times.). Sometimes the oldest are the best.
Puzzled as to why you are running frugal with that spec and deployment? Would've thought FULL would be more suitable when the purpose is fixed? Adding .sfs s and later calls to increase savefiles, load alternative ditto, etc just makes life too complicated and potentially hazardous? Old 20Gb HDs are two-a-penny, so swapping them over in a caddy is quicker and trouble-free. What say you?

rg66

#496 Post by rg66 »

Sage wrote:No kids machine is complete without Tuxpuck and Tuxracer (also been re-named several times.). Sometimes the oldest are the best.
Puzzled as to why you are running frugal with that spec and deployment? Would've thought FULL would be more suitable when the purpose is fixed? Adding .sfs s and later calls to increase savefiles, load alternative ditto, etc just makes life too complicated and potentially hazardous? Old 20Gb HDs are two-a-penny, so swapping them over in a caddy is quicker and trouble-free. What say you?
Tried Tuxracer but It wouldn't run. Can't remember the error but I'll play with it another time. Will check out Tuxpuck, thanks.

These 2 monsters will destroy a full install in no time, GCompris caused too many issue installed, wrecked the desktop and icons. The SFS works without problems.

The point is to have a complete OS without a save file and it should be indestructible.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

jpup

Re: puppy4kids

#497 Post by jpup »

rg66 wrote:
Also if someone knows how to get SFS's to load without a save file I would really appreciate it. Then it would be bullet proof!
Hi rg66, I run my system without savefiles and I can load sfs apps with no problem... I have the devx and kernel sources built-in to my iso though.

to Elroy: I had just built a new custom ISO about an hour ago... It seems that the lina_xfce-4.10 has been updated (dated dec. 02 in the repo). I don't know if it's related to that new lina_xfce, but it seems that the netmonitor, cpufrequency, and sensor plugins are missing? If that's the case, I just wanna ask where could I find the previous version (the one built-in to carolina 004). If not, then it's probably an error on my part and I will just build another one.

Thanks.

Sage

#498 Post by Sage »

These 2 monsters will destroy a full install in no time
Got to stay (at least) one jump ahead with kids! Make the HD read-only; probably able to unhook it for mods & additions simply with a CLI - someone here will tell how.
Tux racer has had a checkered history. It was copyrighted at one stage (a decade ago?), name changed (several), updated, all the usual guff, but why do you think it's received so much attention! Probable there's a version that's compatible? Do a Forum Search?

smokey01

#499 Post by smokey01 »

rg66, why not put all of your additional software in the adrv_lina_004.sfs then you shouldn't need to create a savefile.

You could also manually put all of the additional software in the main puppy_lina_004.sfs file.

Either way you wouldn't need a save file and could run live from a DVD.

elroy

Re: puppy4kids

#500 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:I don't know if it's related to that new lina_xfce, but it seems that the netmonitor, cpufrequency, and sensor plugins are missing?
I've corrected the missing plugins in the pet. I updated the pet because the directory structure had a couple errors, and neglected to move a few of the plugins by accident. Sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks for finding that.