Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 01 Nov 2014, 03:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
How to protect encrypted folders in Puppy Linux?
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
Author Message
umair

Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 205
Location: KUST Kohat, Pakistan

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 05:16    Post subject:  How to protect encrypted folders in Puppy Linux?  

Refer to the .pet of folderenc (Folder Encryption), Is there is any way to protect the folder/directory so no one can delete the folder/directory without a password or something else. I used folderenc, really liked it. works nicely but being a root on puppy linux, any one can delete the encrypted folder.
If any body have an idea or a link so please share.
UMAIR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger 
vovchik


Joined: 23 Oct 2006
Posts: 1285
Location: Ukraine

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 05:27    Post subject:  

use this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattr
even root cannot change it.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
umair

Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 205
Location: KUST Kohat, Pakistan

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 08:12    Post subject:  

vovchik wrote:
use this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattr
even root cannot change it.

With kind regards,
vovchik

hi vovchik:
Thnx for reply.
I want to clear that I am using FRUGAL installation. So getting this error:
"chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on new2.txt".
Also I want to know that is there is any way where we can restricts the user to delete the encrypted folders (which we encrypted using folder enc or any other tool). ?
Hope u will get my point.
Regards
UMAIR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger 
vovchik


Joined: 23 Oct 2006
Posts: 1285
Location: Ukraine

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 08:40    Post subject:  

I am using chattr on a real HD install, but I think it should work in any case, whether frugal or full HD. I use the +i and -i flags do enable locking and to disable. In my case I use it for the file /etc/resolv.conf, which my router wants to change with each login, but I want it to stay the same and use my own DNS resolvers.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 11131
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 09:04    Post subject:  

Umair, if you're sharing a computer there's really no way to insure that no one else can mess with anything on the hard disk. The only real solution is to save the folder/directory on removable media such as a CD, DVD or USB flash drive. That way, you can remove the media when you're done and keep it in a safe place. It's more inconvenient, but it's the only sure way. Puppy will happily oblige. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
umair

Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 205
Location: KUST Kohat, Pakistan

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 02:21    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
Umair, if you're sharing a computer there's really no way to insure that no one else can mess with anything on the hard disk. The only real solution is to save the folder/directory on removable media such as a CD, DVD or USB flash drive. That way, you can remove the media when you're done and keep it in a safe place. It's more inconvenient, but it's the only sure way. Puppy will happily oblige. Smile

hi flash:
Thnx for reply. I got your point, Can U tell me how to make a self extracted compress file with password?
Regards
UMAIR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger 
Barkin


Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 735

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 03:04    Post subject:  

umair wrote:
... Can U tell me how to make a self extracted compress file with password?

There is such a thing as a "self extracting" encrypted file : where the file contains the program required to decrypt it : so the recipient of the file does not have to have decryption software installed on their computer.

Now the bad news, such files are OS specific and I've only ever seen ones which run on Windows (they are .exe files).

A regular (not self-extracting) encrypted password- protected file may be sufficient , e.g. an encrypted 7z format file which can be read on Linux or Windows machines if they have the decryption software installed, e.g. programs such as 7-zip or Peazip. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peazip
''self extracting'' is a Windows thing.gif
 Description   the "self extracting" process is OS specific, I've only ever seen it available for Windows (.exe files)
 Filesize   11.77 KB
 Viewed   804 Time(s)

''self extracting'' is a Windows thing.gif

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
umair

Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 205
Location: KUST Kohat, Pakistan

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 03:30    Post subject:  

Barkin wrote:

There is such a thing as a "self extracting" encrypted file : where the file contains the program required to decrypt it : so the recipient of the file does not have to have decryption software installed on their computer.

Now the bad news, such files are OS specific and I've only ever seen ones which run on Windows (they are .exe files).

A regular (not self-extracting) encrypted password- protected file may be sufficient , e.g. an encrypted 7z format file which can be read on Linux or Windows machines if they have the decryption software installed, e.g. programs such as 7-zip or Peazip. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peazip

Hi Barkin:
Thnx for reply:
Currently I m happy with jamesbond's and smokey01's folder encryption, As I mentioned in 1st post that I was looking for a for a folder/directory protection so no one can delete it (beaing a root too). I think its not possible in puppy linux (May be I am wrong).
Regards
UMAIR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 11131
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 09:04    Post subject:  

My point was that it's not possible in any operating system to guarantee that a folder on a shared storage medium cannot be deleted by anyone with access to the computer.

It should be possible to have an encrypted folder on a CD or DVD that can be decrypted independently of the operating system that happens to be on the computer: just boot Puppy from a multisession CD or DVD and put the folder on the same CD or DVD. I haven't done it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You may also be able to boot Puppy from a USB flash drive, with an encrypted folder on the same flash drive.

However, I don't see much point in encrypting the contents of removable medium. The whole point of encryption is access control, and if you can remove the storage medium, just hide it or keep it on your person.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Barkin


Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 735

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 13:17    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
However, I don't see much point in encrypting the contents of removable medium. The whole point of encryption is access control, and if you can remove the storage medium, just hide it or keep it on your person.

There is an even better argument for encrypting removable media, like memory sticks, than encrypting the computer, as the memory stick is more likely to fall into the hands of strangers, (e.g. when I accidentally leave it stuck in a computer in a cybercafe).

Truecrypt can do "whole drive" encryption, (rather than individual files & folders).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
muggins

Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Posts: 6689
Location: lisbon

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 19:54    Post subject:  

I don't think it meets Umair's specs but, for reference point thought i'd mention that makeself v2.1.5 can create encrypted self-extracting archives.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
umair

Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 205
Location: KUST Kohat, Pakistan

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec 2012, 06:30    Post subject:  

thnx for reply Guys.
I will check the true crypt (never used before), I think it has many features for encryption.
Once again thank you.
Regards
UMAIR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0862s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0158s) ][ GZIP on ]