Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 06:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Updating Firefox and Thunderbird from v16.0.2 to v17.0?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Makoto

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2012, 06:42    Post_subject:  Updating Firefox and Thunderbird from v16.0.2 to v17.0?  

I have both Firefox and Thunderbird 'manually' installed in my pupsave from Mozilla's tar.gz archives, and both have been updated to v16.0.2 with no problems... except, possibly, for now.

v17 was released not too long ago. Thing is, though, neither my Firefox nor Thunderbird install can find the update (through clicking on the Check for Updates button in the About boxes) - both claim they're up-to-date. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is Mozilla simply delayed in pushing the update to the update server (it usually takes a little longer, but not this long), or has there been other issues?

I know I've had an issue or two updating through Check for Updates on my previous Puppy setup, when I had Firefox, Thunderbird and Seamonkey 2.x installed outside the pupsave, but I don't think that should be the case, here.

Semme

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2012, 08:29    Post_subject:  

Hi Makoto- my upgrade was uneventful running a frugal 5.28. Why not manually overwrite your existing install?
Makoto

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2012, 20:14    Post_subject:  

Well, yeah, I forgot to mention that I did already download the tar.gz archives for the 17.0 versions of FF and TB, and I'll update from those if it's necessary. I'm just wondering why it won't show up in those programs' own update check, for me; for all I knew, there could be some issues with the update.

...then again, I know I should likely wait for a bit to upgrade, anyway, just to make sure there's no issues that they need to rush out another update for. Neutral

Semme

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 00:04    Post_subject:  

When fired up, where's htop say it's launched from? Is your install like this?
Makoto

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 01:00    Post_subject:  

/root/my-applications/bin/firefox/firefox.

No, I just unpack the default (no specific version of Linux) binary archives (tar.bz2/tar.gz) to a directory in my pupsave (the one above for FF), run a link to the main binary on my desktop, and that's it.

I haven't had any problem running Firefox or Thunderbird, that I've seen, and neither have had any problems finding updates and... well, updating, before. Smile

Semme

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 14:57    Post_subject:  

Hey Makoto- maybe you could try this. It's worked for me in the past..
Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 15:03    Post_subject:  

Well, I already have the 'regular' versions downloaded, and I'll probably still just end up using them to update. Noticed last night when I went to check Mozilla's release server again just to be safe, that they'd already posted an FF 17.0.1 build, though. Smile

I also grabbed the 16.0.2 builds, just in case. Embarassed

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum