Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 02 Oct 2014, 06:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Eye Candy
Conky With Lua
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 4 of 6 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
jaydee

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2012, 07:13    Post_subject:  

battleshooter, appreciate the feedback.

its the openbox that comes as the default wm in lupu, specs say
openbox 3.4.11 , repo has it as openbox_3.4.10-1 .
the xdgmenu that also shows up in repo composes the start menu so it shouldnt (probably?) be necessary.

Tracking down the transparency command sounds like a tall order for my skillset, but i ll certainly give it a go. Also attached my conkyrc file, in case any specific setting in it contributes to the effect (also added a preview pic, to keep the punters passing through happy).

like yourself, i have nothing against feh, i just looked through its files, and it seems feh was designed for a completely different reason and function; it seems a bit too much for what we want it for (although still a great working fix).

thanks again for the effort.
compactlua.tar.gz
Description  stripped-down, compact version of conky lua rings
gz

Download 
Filename  compactlua.tar.gz 
Filesize  27.78 KB 
Downloaded  674 Time(s) 
preview.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   23.6 KB
 Viewed   2746 Time(s)

preview.jpg

battleshooter

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2012, 06:00    Post_subject:  

Well that's got to be the weirdest thing ever. I tried fiddling around with the conkyrc file for the "Cherries" theme in OpenBox but wasn't able to achieve any transparency. Then I tried your compact lua theme (it's a nice take on the original by the way Smile) and true enough it was black and then eventually went transparent. I'll have to look more into this tomorrow, maybe copy the settings from the compact lua conkyrc and try to work them with another theme.
jaydee

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2012, 15:02    Post_subject:  

its weird, right ?!

I was going back and forth on all the startup scripts and got lost, so i went back to the conkyrc file, commenting out rules and it seems that the rule that allows this is
Code:
 own_window_type override
(none of the other options exhibits this).
According to the conky configuration page, Override windows are not under the control of the window manager, meaning no wm decorations or rules apply.
So we might not be getting transparency per se (none of the argb/opacity values work), but just that the base window (border, label,) isn't drawn;why the background lags is right now beyond me. To get variable transparency in openbox, i think we probably need a compositor like xcompmgr, as per urukrama's guide.

This could very well be a weird glitch/coincidence that made me jump into a convenient conclusion.
alwaysalonee

PostPosted: Mon 21 May 2012, 00:33    Post_subject:  

Code:
own_window_type override

this is a magic code for transparency Shocked
in greenlua conky rc file i put that line and it begin to give transparency Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked :
battleshooter

PostPosted: Mon 21 May 2012, 04:53    Post_subject:  

I haven't had time to really process your post jaydee, I'll be busy most this week, but just thought to post to let you know I haven't forgotten about OpenBox and Conky.

alwaysalonee wrote:
this is a magic code for transparency

Haha, that made me laugh Smile

`f00

PostPosted: Mon 21 May 2012, 10:50    Post_subject:
Sub_title: order and layer

..enable wand gestures (pesky brooms with pails Wink

This may be ot for this particular conky (use the old 161 myself since 181 gave me multiple pids in htop), but pseudotrans needs always a bg set before conky starts - however you set it. Sometimes the wm does it like enlightenment, afterstep, startfluxbox or if flux/blackbox/? does it in the style when changing that; other wms I do the bg-set as the first line for each wm, then wbar, then conky (with sleep-delay as desired) in a ~/Startup/script. As noted conky 'catches up' after awhile (sooner or later, depending). If a rox pinboard is used, that can be yet another background (if roxpin has been set up as an on-demand item) or the initial method Neutral

On some of my pups, openbox likes a normal or desktop rather than override - otherwise windows may open under the layer conky is on. Enlightenment has different needs as well (akin to xfce as I recall, but with a few differences of course)

Depending on your 'clutter' preferences, more control can be exerted (like iconizing to the task/client list or..) with the 'skip' parameters - wms and pagers allowing. Funny, I used to use this to hide desktop icons under conky
alwaysalonee

PostPosted: Mon 21 May 2012, 12:40    Post_subject:  

here's a trick for noobs by a noob
create a script name it yoconky and paste code
Code:
conky -c /root/.conky/greenlua/conkyrc
set_wallpaper /root/imgs/cool.jpg

you will need to change paths to files tho Razz
additionally i put this script in bin folder and in tint2 in clock setting on right click i give it as command so i just have to right click on clock to get some things done easily Smile
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2012, 17:31    Post_subject:  

This looks good. I might give it a try next weekend when hopefully I'll have some spare time. Thanks for the thread and info.

Cheers,

CP .

Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running New Year's Pup 02, Puppy EmSee v2.2, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.

Edited_time_total
scott2907

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 09:49    Post_subject: OB Transparency  

Hi Guys
This is a great thread and I got conky in and working no bother.
I'm having trouble with my lua rings tho -

Code:
conky: llua_do_call: function conky_clock_rings execution failed:attempt to call a nil value

Also, my /usr/local/apps/Wallpaper directory doesn't exist. Instead I have an executable there of the same name that is nathan's wallpaper switcher.
No hidden files either. So I can't put my transparency setting in there as you describe.

Thanks for any help here.
*Intel something-or-other, 1GB, Openbox, wbar, slacko.*
Tom
battleshooter

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 11:44    Post_subject: Re: OB Transparency  

scott2907 wrote:
Hi Guys

This is a great thread and I got conky in and working no bother.
I'm having trouble with my lua rings tho -

Code:
conky: llua_do_call: function conky_clock_rings execution failed:attempt to call a nil value

That's weird, I thought I edited the code to remove that error. It basically comes up if you don't have the things installed that are being displayed in the rings.

Stick this I suppose at the top of the clock_rings.lua file after all the red comments and I think it should fix your problem.

Code:
if value == nil then value = 0 end
pct = value/pt['max']

scott2907 wrote:

Also, my /usr/local/apps/Wallpaper directory doesn't exist. Instead I have an executable there of the same name that is nathan's wallpaper switcher.
No hidden files either. So I can't put my transparency setting in there as you describe.

Haha, actually that executable is the folder. If you click on the folder while holding shift, it should open normally as a folder. Smile

scott2907 wrote:

slacko

Do the pets I uploaded in this thread work on Slacko? Shocked Or are you using a Conky pet for Slacko?

scott2907

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 15:04    Post_subject: Re: OB Transparency  

Thanks for the answer I'll give it a go.

battleshooter wrote:

Do the pets I uploaded in this thread work on Slacko? Shocked Or are you using a Conky pet for Slacko?

yup they seem to! At least your Conky pet did, I still don't have LUA working, but I'm sure that's user error.

and regarding the wallpaper icon- That's just weird!!!
Handdrawn.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  Handdrawn.png 
Filesize  1.34 MB 
Downloaded  662 Time(s) 
koulaxizis

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug 2012, 11:08    Post_subject:  

Nice post my friend! I finally managed to set up conky as i like! Thank you! Smile

[ Puppy packages | Puppy search ]
Haut_Dawg

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 12:33    Post_subject: conky troubles  

Hi! I'm fooling around with conky this morning. I have done step 1 and step 2. I seem to be missing something. Here's my screeny. Thank for any help.
Cheers!
Haut_Dawg
not quite there.png
 Description   
 Filesize   170.89 KB
 Viewed   1903 Time(s)

not quite there.png

James C

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 13:02    Post_subject:  

One of my current Conky configs......
Conky Exprimo.png
 Description   
 Filesize   160.95 KB
 Viewed   1946 Time(s)

Conky Exprimo.png

nilsonmorales

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec 2012, 03:48    Post_subject:  

I like my conky+lua
thank you batleshooter
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 4 of 6 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Eye Candy
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum