Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Nov 2014, 14:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Saluki
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 247 of 250 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 Next
yr1945

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 07:17    Post_subject:  

for minimal distro..... Saluki can be booted without Adrive...
dziwei

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 21:57    Post_subject:  

thanks all! I do want to try a remaster.

boot without adrive: liking the sound of that, could you elaborate?

let me know if I'm too needy, my google searches on saluki aren't 'hitting on all cylinders'
8-bit

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 03:20    Post_subject:  

Rather than going page by page of this thread, I would like to find out what I am doing wrong trying to get compiz to work with Saluki.
I downloaded compiz-helper and according to it, I meet ALL the requirements.
But when I exit to prompt and type in "xwin dummy" I get a task bar, the Menu button, and a black screen. All the applications work as if I have a working x screen though.
I know xfce is the default desktop manager. But I really want the drive icons or at least a background rather than a blank black screen.
Also, the application windows that show seem to be in a fixed location as they seem to be unmovable. And all of the compiz effects just are not there.
I have the compiz SFS file loaded also and have installed the true NVIDIA driver also.

Maybe I am just dumb.
A step by step as to what I need to do to get this working would be great!
yr1945

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 08:29    Post_subject:  

to boot saluki without Adrive... do a Frugal install as follows...

download saluki-023 iso...

download a browser, eg, the Firefox .pet (.pets are puppylinux applications)... so you can immediately intall the Firefox .pet after saluki is booted and access more apps...

saluki .pets (apps) are located at the following website: http://smokey01.com/saluki/... many .pets for other puppylinux distros will also work for saluki... i should note that .pets are also located in the Puppy Package Manager which can be located in the Menu at bottom left under System... this may be better for installing .pets... i just happen to have a folder of the .pets that i use...

create a new folder (directory) and name it saluki...

from the downloaded saluki iso,copy following files into new saluki folder... initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy saluki 023.sfs and zdrv luki 023 sfs...

use Grub4Dos bootloader to install boot capability for new saluki folder (which is now an OS), as well as all other Operating Systems on computer...

once saluki is booted, there will be no apps since the Adrive contains all the apps...

therefore, as indicated above, install Firefox .pet and other apps you may want to use...

Having explained the above process... and before attempting it... perhaps a better way to get a minimal OS is to use the Saluki Custom Builder which can be found in the Menu at lower left under System... just click on it and follow the directions...

i guess it's all a matter of preference... eg, i use so few apps i like using saluki without the Adrive...

good luck...
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 22:13    Post_subject:  

8-bit wrote:
Rather than going page by page of this thread, I would like to find out what I am doing wrong trying to get compiz to work with Saluki.
I downloaded compiz-helper and according to it, I meet ALL the requirements.
But when I exit to prompt and type in "xwin dummy" I get a task bar, the Menu button, and a black screen. All the applications work as if I have a working x screen though.
I know xfce is the default desktop manager. But I really want the drive icons or at least a background rather than a blank black screen.
Also, the application windows that show seem to be in a fixed location as they seem to be unmovable. And all of the compiz effects just are not there.
I have the compiz SFS file loaded also and have installed the true NVIDIA driver also.

Maybe I am just dumb.
A step by step as to what I need to do to get this working would be great!

Sounds as if it's not loading xfce correctly, you shouldn't have to type anything other that xwin at the prompt, try typing " xwin startxfce4 ".

I have had that happen with no window borders, just go to control panel and restart compiz, that should fix it.

8-bit

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 23:00    Post_subject:  

Thank you Geoffrey,
I will give it a try.
The main thing I might have been doing wrong was the way I tried to start xwin from an external prompt.

I think I was typing instead "xwin dummy".

I am currently in Slacko 5.4 final with comp-fusion running nicely.
I am going to make a backup of my slackosave now that it is working and not do any slacko updates to slacko5.4 final and hope for the best as I had to install xfce4 on it along with a few other things.
dziwei

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 23:09    Post_subject: no Adrive is ok!  

yr1945, tnx for the detailed reply... only trouble i had installing was getting the grub onto the new saluki folder, so I put it on a second usb stick and it made things easy to follow. after that it booted without incident, yeah~!

I installed chromium (same sfs that i had success with on my full(er) saluki023 install). but this time chromium doesnt start, nothing happens after multiple reboots and even trying to call up the browser from Picasa (another sfs that I used successfully)! the error from picasa was: chromium won't start input:output error.

any advice would be welcome! tnx again!!
yr1945

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec 2012, 20:50    Post_subject:  

dziwei... i loaded the chromium sfs... but, it would not work on my laptop... with or without the Adrive...

also... i loaded the google chrome sfs located in the Puppy Package Manager... it would not run without the Adrive... but, it would run with the Adrive...

next... still experimenting... and making sure that sfs files worked without the Adrive... i loaded the firefox sfs... it worked just fine...

info only... i run firefox without installing it by downloading the firefox-17..0.1.tar.bz2 from mozilla.com... i extract the firefox folder with xarchiver... i open the extracted firefox folder and right-click on the firefox icon which is about 1/3 the way down the page (the icon is a diamond shape)... after the right-click i select “send to” and then “desktop (create link)”... then i just click on the desktop symlink and firefox runs flawlessly... i should add that you do not necessarily need to create a desktop link... you can just left click on the firefox icon in the extracted firefox folder and the firefox browser will run...

by the way...i am not trying to "sell" you on firefox... everyone has their favorite browser... i was just explaining how i run a minimal os... and, that i can run a browser without installing it...

anyway... moving along... it's obvious that i am in over my head... not sure that i can help with the chromium sfs...

perhaps... someone reading our posts can jump in and help you with the chromium sfs...
dziwei

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec 2012, 14:01    Post_subject:  

yr1945 tnx again, firefox worked for me as well. I will have to wait if I want that chromium to work 'bare bones'...
rg66

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec 2012, 08:49    Post_subject:  

Here's a Saluki wallpaper if anyone wants it.
Saluki-Blue.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  Saluki-Blue.jpg 
Filesize  230.12 KB 
Downloaded  592 Time(s) 

rg66

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 08:15    Post_subject: Saluki Repo  

I have been asked to maintain the Saluki repository and for some unknown reason have decided to say yes Shocked

For now it will only be already made pets. They won't necessarily be Saluki or even Wary specific packages, as long as they work I'll put them up.

Added so far:

geany-1.22-i486.pet
geany-plugins-1.22-i486.pet
ristretto-0.6.3.pet
mtpaint-3.44.04.pet

Don't forget to update your package list

Thank you, and please be gentle!

pchan

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 09:45    Post_subject:  

rg66,

That's great to hear! Yes, I do like Carolina, Lxpup, Slacko, macpup. But Saluki from jeminah is simply great! It seems to be able take anything I throw at it. I find that i don't have to erase my save file every now and then because i have messed it up by installing and uninstalling programs.

The way the windows manager xfce4 that has been integrated into it is solid and stable.
pchan

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 10:03    Post_subject:  

8-bit wrote:
Thank you Geoffrey,
I will give it a try.
The main thing I might have been doing wrong was the way I tried to start xwin from an external prompt.

I think I was typing instead "xwin dummy".

I am currently in Slacko 5.4 final with comp-fusion running nicely.
I am going to make a backup of my slackosave now that it is working and not do any slacko updates to slacko5.4 final and hope for the best as I had to install xfce4 on it along with a few other things.

"xwin dummy" is used for slacko 5.3.3 and "xwin dummy1/2" is used for slacko 5.4 to start compiz without a window manager. This method of starting compiz appears to be more satble in slacko 5.4, but it is a bit fragile and buggy in slacko 5.3.3. In slacko 5.3.3, if compiz crash, I find it hard to get "xwin" to start even the normal "jwm" window manager.

In "Saluki" and "Carolina," the way to start compiz (assuming that you have already installed it using pakage manager), is to go to control menu and look under "desktop." From there, you will be able to enable or disable compiz. Compiz will start inside xfce4 windows manager. So, if it crash, you can restart the xfce4 window manager again by typing "xwin startxfce4." You can than go and disable "compiz" until you know what is causing it to crash. This is the good thing about saluki and carolina.

BTW, I am just a non expert user and i am sharing from experience of a user without the inside technical computer knowledge. I just meddle and explore around with the different settings. The newer slacko 5.4 does appear to be handling compiz quite well although something in slacko 5.3.3 is missing from slacko 5.4. When i have the time, I must ask 01micko about that matter.
futwerk

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 18:52    Post_subject:  

background and mobile.
puppymobile7.jpg
 Description   http://www.mediafire.com/?rao8bk726e8e8or,z4y75c5s56vp7af,xpt2b8tx9h6iaed,8ckn3z0tp3wf1wq,8metd5ye9q6vfup,8co919zn9bdepwr,g5qrd1d7le9grp3
 Filesize   17.49 KB
 Viewed   1395 Time(s)

puppymobile7.jpg

dec28,43dxy1.jpg
 Description   http://www.mediafire.com/?rao8bk726e8e8or,z4y75c5s56vp7af,xpt2b8tx9h6iaed,8ckn3z0tp3wf1wq,8metd5ye9q6vfup,8co919zn9bdepwr,g5qrd1d7le9grp3
 Filesize   14.86 KB
 Viewed   1410 Time(s)

dec28,43dxy1.jpg

dec28,43dxy.jpg
 Filesize   15.35 KB
 Viewed   1419 Time(s)

dec28,43dxy.jpg

Billtoo

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec 2012, 02:53    Post_subject: Saluki  

I did a manual frugal install to the hard drive.

Display
Resolution 1600x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
Version 4.2.11931 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes

Network controller Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter

Saluki 023 is working well on this laptop.

EDIT:I connected a 19" widescreen monitor to the laptop.
screenshot3.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   40.07 KB
 Viewed   1347 Time(s)

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   76.36 KB
 Viewed   1362 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 247 of 250 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum