[solved]Glibc killed my puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
swiatmar

[solved]Glibc killed my puppy

#1 Post by swiatmar »

Hello!!

I have some problems with my puppy 5.2 after installing glibc 2_15 from this link:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78257
I am unable to connect to internet and my terminal is dead also
I have puppy 5.2 with xfce .
I was trying to install new skype 4.1 so I needed glibc_2.15. Now it distroyed my configuration
No internet no x terminal!!
Can anyone help me or give me advice how to get to my old setting or repair it?
Last edited by swiatmar on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

1. Decompress the PET that caused the damage,

Use the following command to turn PET into a standard tgz

pet2tgz

2. then clicking in filer will open the decompression program, decompress into a new directory.
----

3a-frugal. If you are using frugal, load Puppy with an unaffected savefile/ or no savefile

3b-frugal. Back up (copy) the savefile that is affected. Mount the savefile that is affect in filer.

3c-frugal. Study the file structure and files from the uncompressed Pet. Delete any that are present in the savefile that is affected. This will revert the files Puppy uses to those in the original base/pup.sfs. As long as nothing has been installed between origin base/pup.sfs and the bad Pet to do with those files this should work.

3d-frugal. Load Puppy with repaired Savefile. If it still doesn't you have a backup.

----

3a-full. If you are using full, mount original base/pup.sfs file (probably in an ISO image)

3b-full. Study the file structure and files from the uncompressed Pet. Delete from root fs (current installation) files that are not present in the original base/pup.sfs, but which are present in the uncompressed Pet and . Copy files to root fs from base/pup.sfs that are present in both uncompressed Pet and the base/pup.sfs . This will revert the files Puppy uses to those in the original base/pup.sfs. As long as nothing has been installed between origin base/pup.sfs and the bad Pet to do with those files this should work.

3c-full. Restart Puppy with repaired root fs. With full install you have no protection unless you back up the full expanded root fs.

swiatmar

#3 Post by swiatmar »

Okay!!
repaired :)

darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

Great stuff ; -)

npierce

#5 Post by npierce »

Well done, darkcity, good method.