How to 'Find Files' in Puppy, what belongs where ?

Booting, installing, newbie
vmars316

How to 'Find Files' in Puppy, what belongs where ?

#1 Post by vmars316 »

PuppySlacko-5.3.3:

What files belong where ?
Coming from windows7,
what is the equivalent in puppy, for 'windows explorer' ?
Something that shows file extensions too.

For example, I would like to do a Seamonkey add-on (FlashPlayer) .
But I have no idea where to install it. If I could search and find Seamonkey, I could probably install it there.

In windows, there is a freeware 'file searching' program called AgentRansack which has awesome file finding/(optional replacement) capabilities.
Is there an equivalent freeware for Puppy ?

Also, 'ShortCut Files'
(in windows = AbiWord.lnk [filetype])
How to create ShortCuts in Puppy ?

Thanks...vmars316

Moose On The Loose

Re: How to 'Find Files' in Puppy, what belongs where ?

#2 Post by Moose On The Loose »

vmars316 wrote:PuppySlacko-5.3.3:
I'm running 5.2.8 so few things may be different
What files belong where ?
This is quite a long complex subject. For the general user, your documents go into the my-documents sub folder.

Applications you install generally end up in /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin and the /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib
Coming from windows7,
what is the equivalent in puppy, for 'windows explorer' ?
Something that shows file extensions too.
In the upper left part of the screen you should see an icon that says "files". This is how you can look at the files on the machine.
For example, I would like to do a Seamonkey add-on (FlashPlayer)
It is likely that what you want is already in the package manager

If you bring up a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

which firefox
You will see where the program called firefox would be loaded from if you typed it at the prompt. This is a good place to start on finding stuff.
But I have no idea where to install it. If I could search and find Seamonkey, I could probably install it there.
Someone who has installed stuff on your version can tell you more, but in general, merely placing a file does not make web browsers happy with them
In windows, there is a freeware 'file searching' program called AgentRansack which has awesome file finding/(optional replacement) capabilities.
Is there an equivalent freeware for Puppy ?
Look in the menu under file-system for "pfind".

There is also a command line thing called "find".
If no pfind try this:

Code: Select all

cd /
find -iname "seamonk*"
The "-iname" means ignore the case and find by name. The list will likely be long. Add " | more" to the line to have it page by page.

Also, 'ShortCut Files'
(in windows = AbiWord.lnk [filetype])
How to create ShortCuts in Puppy ?
Try this:
-use the "files" icon to look at the files on the machine, perhaps going into the my-documents.

-if needed, make a document with some junk in it

-use the "files" icon again to look at files.

-decide on what file you want a link to. Left click - drag the file into the other window and look for the "link" option in the menu that comes up. You can then rename the new link any name that is not already used

The "link" feature of Linux is older than the shortcut in Windows but in a whole lot of ways more powerful.

Absolute link:
This fully specifies the path to the file or directory in question. If you change where this link is, it still works if the file pointed to is not also moved.

Relative link:
The says how to get from where the link is to where the file in question is. This is handy because if you are working several folders deep and decide to rename a folder, most of the links will still work.

You can link to both files and folders. You can all them as you choose. Programs that use the file or folder would have to do extra work to know that it was working through a link so practically everything works just like it is accessing the file by its real name.

`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

hey Vern :)

Generally a file manager is used for doing all the 'windows explorer' stuff, most pups have rox but you can use whatever works best for you - see the filesystem/file manager section for alternatives like xfe and others as well as your local rox help (icon on the rox toolbar) to get some details about rox itself.

File extensions - not always used in linux, for example many binaries do not have an extension and scripts likewise (it's more to do with permissions/flags).

Yep, AgentRansack is awesome (but crazily enough, it can be quite simple to use). No idea if it could be used in puppy even with wine..

'shortcuts'/symlinks
Most apps have a *.desktop file in /usr/share/applications directory - these are quite handy to symlink to (rename the symlink if you like to take off the extension), especially in the rox OpenWith r-click menu.
Caveat - you can't symlink to stuff in a FAT file system, if I recall that correctly (just one of those things), but most file managers will let you bookmark.

vmars316

Re: How to 'Find Files' in Puppy, what belongs where ?

#4 Post by vmars316 »

Moose On The Loose wrote: If you bring up a terminal and type:

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by
If you bring up a terminal

Thanks...Vernon

ICPUG

#5 Post by ICPUG »

Bringing up the terminal enables you to type commands on the command line.

The icon on the desktop that looks like a monitor with possibly a bit of green lettering on a black screen background. Click that and you have brought up the terminal.

vmars316

#6 Post by vmars316 »

Ok, Thanks
I found this in Ph101-001.html :
" Quick Terminal
If you are anything like me I hate typing long pathnames. I would rather navigate with ROX.

For example: Click here to open a terminal window and type:

cd /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/

There are times when you need to run software from a particular directory from a terminal window. For example: When you click on a program icon and it doesn't run. If you run the program from a terminal window it will usually give you an error and a clue to what is wrong.

The easy way to get to that elusive directory using the same example path above. Click on ROX on the desktop, click the green up arrow, click on usr, local, lib, X11 and finally pixmaps. Now press the key below the Esc key with the ~ and ` on it. A terminal window opened up in the required directory. Now type ls and press the Enter key to see if the files are the same. Of course they are. "

.vm

Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

Symlink does work with FAT32 as it is not a file format feature, but a linux one. As pointed out it is like a shortcut, which is not file format dependant.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett