How to get WiFi working on ASUS eee 701?

Booting, installing, newbie
Route66

How to get WiFi working on ASUS eee 701?

#1 Post by Route66 »

I recently bought an ASUS eee 701 netbook on eBay. The seller included Puppy 4.2 on a media card in the netbook, which appears to be the OS the seller used before wiping the netbook for sale.

The network wizard lists one interface, eth0, already associated with module atl2, and if I plug in a network cable, I can easily configure this interface with DHCP, and I have Internet connectivity after that.

However, for this netbook to be useful to me, I have to have WiFi. I used AutoProbe to load all the modules on the media card (acx-mac80211, acx, ath_pci, atl2, prism2_usb, rt2860sta, rt2870sta), but none of them cause any additional interfaces to appear. The seller says that it was no problem to use the network wizard to get the interface appear when first setting it up "some time ago".

There is a WiFi light on the front edge of the keyboard, and it turns on and off with Fn-F2. I have tried loading modules with the light on and off (mostly on), but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I also tried (three times) to install the PET in the second message of this thread. Each time the netbook freezes a couple moments after installing the PET ("PETget: updating menu, please wait"), and I can do nothing but switch it off.

I have attached the list of PCI cards apparently installed in this netbook.

Can someone please suggest something else I should try to get WiFi working on this netbook?

Thanks a million!
Attachments
PCI.zip
(626 Bytes) Downloaded 333 times

Mercedes350se

#2 Post by Mercedes350se »

Have you thought about using Puppeee?

Do a search using:

http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Regarding 4.2 I came across this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy//viewt ... 24cb275f68

I hope it helps.

ally

#3 Post by ally »

^^^^

what he said!!!!

am running puppeee on several eee's and it is fantastic

go get it, you will be impressed

there are a good selection of pets and sfs's available too, puppeee.com no longer exists but type that it to the 'wayback machine' and you're good to go

:)

ps - there are two builds depending on celeron or atom processors, chose accordingly

Route66

#4 Post by Route66 »

Thanks for the suggestions! I downloaded Puppeee 1.0 from smokey01.com and went through the contortions required to create a bootable thumb drive (i.e. first burn a bootable CD for my Windows laptop, as the netbook in question has no CD drive). Once I booted the netbook, it found the WiFi interface immediately without my having to go through and probe drivers or anything like that.

This thread on Puppeee says "This distro is no longer maintained. Please try Saluki instead." So before I went with Puppeee I tried to install Saluki, but failed because I didn't realize at the time that I had to make the thumb drive bootable. That was something I only discovered later after hours of Googling. It's not made obvious at the same place where I would download the ISOs. I thought I could just mount the ISO on my Windows laptop and merely copy its contents to the thumb drive.

You may scoff, but although I have used (and developed software on) computers running Unix (RHEL, Solaris, BSD, etc) off and on for 25 years, I have never before this month owned a Unix computer. Before, I always relied on my employer (or school) to install and configure the OS.

ally

#5 Post by ally »

no scoffing

we all start somewhere......

I have tried a few distro's on the eee from the puppy stable but puppeee really is the best

if you pm your email address I'll email the downloads I got from puppeee.com

:)

cthisbear

#6 Post by cthisbear »

Route66:

Welcome to Puppy mate.

The best thing to run on that is

DpupExprimo5X327 >>an earlier series....

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... primo5X327

squeeze-5.X.3.2.7-SCSI.iso 23-Feb-2012 15:36 150M

It uses Frisbee as default. Try that first.

Tried that on my mate's Asus....same specs.

::::::::

Make sure your wireless light is showing.

" Turn Wifi On:
Turn on the wireless WiFi via the keyboard by simultaneously
pressing the Fn and F2 keys.

The blue light on the front of the computer will be lighted when
the wireless is on.
To turn the wireless off, press the Fn and F2 keys again. "

http://www.a2dvoices.com/realitycheck/h ... Setup.html

Hey! and good or bad report back. Should be good.

Chris.