Empty menu entries...DOH!

Using applications, configuring, problems
Flash858

Empty menu entries...DOH!

#1 Post by Flash858 »

Hi gang -

I have about 6 installs of Puppy Slacko and Precise and on one of my precise installs, I have a little annoying glitch:

OK, so every time the "fixmenus" is run (i.e. every time I install something new), I have 2 empty entries at the top of my Utilities menu, and the Solitaire entry, which I moved manually, returns there from the "Fun" menu where I put it.

So, I guess my root question is: from what data does the fixmenus command draw when it generates the .jwmrc file, and is there a way to edit that data so I do not have to keep editing .jwmrc?

Thanks in advance!

duke93535

#2 Post by duke93535 »

Your menus are made up from the xxxx.desktop files in /usr/share/applications directory. If you open with a text editor the xxxx.desktop that pertains to the solitaire game, the category should be “Categories=Game;

Flash858

Yes, but...

#3 Post by Flash858 »

I am aware of that. I just cannot find any valid reason for the 2 blank entries. I was expecting to see a couple of blank .desktop files in the applications folder, but there are none.

Does anyone have any idea where these ghost entries are coming from?
Currently happily running Puppy Xenial 7.5 64-bit , and Ubuntu Mate 18.04 ... :D

duke93535

#4 Post by duke93535 »

I'am guessing you have a messed up save file, if it is a frugal install. Temporarily start that puppy with the “pfix=ram

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Yeah, I got this problem awhile back. It is not Precise's fault, there is a package, it might have been a PET or a DEB, I don't recall, that has a really bad .desktop file.

I think that it will have "Categories=Utility" in it, maybe, so you can probably find which .desktop is to blame, then go and scream at the developer :)

Code: Select all

grep 'Utility' /usr/share/applications/*.desktop
...might find all the contenders.

Or, as the problem has been introduced by a package that you have installed, look for the names of the .desktop files in /root/.packages/*.files.

Or, you are using a very old version alpha/beta of Precise. I vaguely recall an old build having the offending pkg builtin, but not sure if I remember that right.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Flash858

Solved!

#6 Post by Flash858 »

Thanks Barry - That was it. One named puppy.desktop, and the other was an icon set (simple) from puppy-look.

Once removed, all is well!

I learn something every day on these forums... :)
Currently happily running Puppy Xenial 7.5 64-bit , and Ubuntu Mate 18.04 ... :D