Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
CatDude

#61 Post by CatDude »

Hi

@ vicmz
vicmz wrote:I find JWM menu sub-categories very uncomfortable. How can I remove them to have the menu just like Wary or Precise? I mean: Menu > Category > Program.
To quote 01micko from the Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012 thread (page 45 post 5)
01micko wrote:...Generally, some folks don't like submenus at all. You can be rid of them by editing /root/.jwm/JWMRC and you'll see SUBMENUS="0" (or is it 1?), doesn't matter, change it to SUBMENUS="" and run fixmenus
Hope this helps
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

vicmz

#62 Post by vicmz »

@CatDude
Thank you :D
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Sage

#63 Post by Sage »

no appreciable benefit from using a PAE
Agree.
Apart from which, it's pretty dumb using those sorts of machines for a compact distro, however good it is; a trip to the tip would be more appropriate. Big machines and server farms run well on RH, mid-sized machines and for kiddies with big eyes and overloaded pockets can choose one of the major distros. The rest of us are trying to save the planet.
The mistakes so many make is with specification. Since e.g. picture- and video- editing, the big resource consumers, seem to work so well in Puppy, it would appear that there is only a requirement, and that for a tiny minority perhaps occasionally, for extra memory up to the non-PAE limit, as Terryp. testifies, or machine limit, and/or a large (extra?) partition. BK and his troupe have made things so easy and flexible that not even a bootable HD is required, just an USB stick or SD card. Anyone worried about power consumption of older kit can use the RPi and save to a RAID bank. And check the wattage of those multiple core cpu s that bigI promised would save power - just ain't true.

Experimenters are granted a get-out-of-jail-free card....

rcrsn51

#64 Post by rcrsn51 »

I'm not going to express my personal opinions on the PAE issue. But I am concerned by the recent trend in releasing multiple versions: PAE+new kernel and non-PAE+old kernel.

This complicates any problem-solving exercise. And makes it that more difficult to build add-on kernel modules.

tlchost

Libre Office Again

#65 Post by tlchost »

I'm hoping someone running Slacko 5.4 on a bootable USB drive can
run get_libreoffice-0.18-3 and confirm that the following menu items do not work:

Document > Compose > New Document
Business > Sheets > New Database
Business > Sheet > New Spreadsheet

Thanks

Thom

bark_bark_bark

#66 Post by bark_bark_bark »

When using slacko 5.4 (4g, Opera) I find when i close the lid on my Aspire One D257 it goes to suspend mode. When I open the lid and press the space bar the screen is one for 2 seconds and turns off and I have to turn my netbook completely off and turn it on. To me this a pain in the ass to solve. I need to be able to leave it on so I can develop my Slack-base distro overnight (plus slacko has the better bash version, so I hope I can use chroot).

:x

This is a HUGE inconvenience and how do I fix it?

Mobi

#67 Post by Mobi »

Thanks for the tips on PAE and my machine.
I had hopes of just using one USB stick OS for 3 different machines, 1=netbook 1GB ram (@8-14watts) 1= 15"laptop non-"I" series dual core (@14-22watts) 4Gb ram and the i7 rig which I did get to use for advanced Photoshop and Video and Audio editing, however I never did end up with more ram than 4GB for it, but because it has a 17" display, it can run fewer watts than adding a second display to the other laptops is have. (@14-35 watts but 17-18watts typical avg in windows with the display brightness turned down which I can't seem to do with puppy)

I've tried openSuse and Fedora and Mint and Ubuntu, but because I suffer from EHF (Early Hardware Failure) I can't help but think puppy is for me. My Windows server runs entirely on solar power using a 6-36v input DC power supply at 12V, 1.7Amps or 20 watts... Really I'm not trying to be a power hog.

I guess I'll give the Slacko 5.4 PAE version a try and see if PPLOG works, but the strange thing is, PPLOG does work in Slacko 5.3 non-pae on the i7 machine.

Ray MK

#68 Post by Ray MK »

@ bark_bark_bark

do you have a swap partition of at least 1.5x the size of your ram?

a linux swap file of similar size would also probably work.

HTH - very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

bark_bark_bark

#69 Post by bark_bark_bark »

the swap would reduce the life of my netbook's ssd, so no. I do have 2gb of ram in it and that works fine with any modern puppy AND modern linux distros. and how do i create a swap file over a swap partition. Will it increase life of the ssd?

Mobi

Re: PAE on Intel I-series processors

#70 Post by Mobi »

gcmartin wrote:
Mobi wrote: ... I Really like Slacko thanks so much for this!
Hi Mobi

My comments more than likely will not solve the "500" problem. But, I noticed that your running non-PAE on a system.equiped with a PAE designed processor.

If you or anyone is running an "I-series processor" you will probably get better performance with PAE versions of Puppy.

Here to help
You are right, and you are right! I now have the Slacko 5.4 Opera-PAE version and still get the 500 error with PPLOG, it is unusable at the moment.

I did notice a most definite speed increase with the PAE version on my i7 machine! Thanks!

Billtoo

#71 Post by Billtoo »

I did a 3rd remaster of Slacko-54 PAE and I'm running from the live
dvd with a savefile on my intel imac.

Report Video 1.4 - Thu 6 Dec 2012 on Slacko Puppy 5.4 - Linux 3.4.17-PAE i686
Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 2400 XT
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: M74 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver used: fglrx
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (444x277 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT
Version 3.3.11653 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes
# glxgears
24693 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4938.586 FPS
25135 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5026.828 FPS
25202 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5040.329 FPS
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 4082MB (184MB used)
Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n

This remaster includes Firefox-17.01 along with the latest Seamonkey
(which I downloaded from and installed from the Slackware-14 patches
repo in ppm, after updating that repo),libre office,vlc-2.04,kdegames,
and many other applications.
It's loaded for bear and runs great :)
Thanks again to 01micko for a great puppy.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(69.21 KiB) Downloaded 1437 times

Ray MK

#72 Post by Ray MK »

@ bark_bark_bark - ref: swap partition

you could get an old 1gig or 2gig SDcard or usb stick and format that as a linux swap device.
Obviously, it would need to be in place at bootup.

Jemimah made a proceedure in Puppeee for generating a swap file.
Kirk and JamesBond also have a similar process in FatDog64.
edit: just an after-thought - think that Puppy may also be capable of using a Windows swap file too - read it somewhere.

Not sure, but would think the process could be mimicked in any Puppy.

Might be worth a look.

Regards - Ray
Last edited by Ray MK on Thu 06 Dec 2012, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

Mobi

Flash not working correctly in Opera

#73 Post by Mobi »

Some flash content In Opera is not working in Slacko 5.4 Opera pae. (it didn't work for me in non-pae either)

PPLOG not working either which opens in Opera

I installed Chromium from ppm, and flash works in that browser.
I couldn't find Seamonkey on the system and ppm said it was already installed.
I set Chromium as default browser and I still get error 500 for PPLOG.

Core i7, Intel video (avg 60fps glxgrs) USB3 thumbdrive install

Sage

#74 Post by Sage »

Some flash content In Opera is not working in Slacko 5.4 Opera pae.
I already reported that various browsers and browser versions need different FlashPlayer versions. Don't blame the developers or browsers - Adobe has an appalling record. As I most recently reported, use the second of three FPs in the PPM list. FP viability does not necessarily follow a logical trail, as reported much earlier (DaveS??). 11.2.202.228 and 10.3.183.18 were (DaveS's?) recommendations for near universality. I keep .pet s of them on an USB stick and have found the v.10 works best on most Operas, the v.11 on most of the Moz. offerings except the 'funny' ones like IceWeasel & co. It's hit-and-miss with the latest, possibly the last(?) v.11, for which I've had little luck. Sometimes, in their ceaseless desire to please the punters, developers oblige us with ready-installed FP. However, if their latest creation started out as an FF version, the same release number might, but not always, need to have it's FP overwritten for the Opera version. Midori and Chromium are bridges too far. Reports suggest that the former is proving too hot to handle. The latter is supposed to have the correct FP built-in - just need to unlock it via the about:plug-ins. Must work for somebody, but I've never ever had it work - just redirects to the Adobe website which also d/l s the incorrect version, which it may/may not be capable of being switched on.
No wonder Adobe generates extreme ire amongst Brits, for whom, until Auntie untwisters her knickers (US=panties), may be denied the BBC/iPlayer, now a household essential.
We said before: roll on HTML5: goodbye forever Adobe.

SFR

#75 Post by SFR »

I didn't pay much attention on developing the new Slacko, because all Puppies with 3.2.x kernel series acts terribly on my Acer AO 722, so I had to stick with 5.3.3, but recently I gave it another shot with 3.4.17-PAE version...and I must say - it works excellent on both my Toshiba L505-138 and Acer.
Thanks Mick, really great job!
Mobi wrote:Some flash content In Opera is not working in Slacko 5.4 Opera pae.
I can confirm this, partially.
If I launch Slacko in VBox, then indeed, Flash doesn't work at all and there are graphical glitches in Opera.
But then again when booted in real environment, everything's fine...
IIRC, I read somewhere that this can be caused by Xorg/Vesa differences, but most likely there's a lot more factors...

Mobi wrote:PPLOG not working either which opens in Opera
I can confirm this too.
Fortunately (and by accident) I _think_ I found possible source of the problem (and temporary workaround).
I ran sensors-detect and got this:

Code: Select all

# sensors-detect 
Can't locate utf8.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /usr/share/perl5/constant.pm line 36.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/constant.pm line 45.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/constant.pm line 45.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/sensors-detect line 40.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/sensors-detect line 40.
"Something's wrong with Perl" - I thought, so I loaded devx.sfs and PPLOG magically started to work properly.

Compiz works great, except "dummy1", where none of options in Logout menu work.
"dummy2" is fine though.
Additionally some menu entries are missing, eg. "Puppy Event Manager".

TIP: To get control on backlight when FN combination doesn't work, one can try:
echo X > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
where X is [0-7]
Works for me on Toshiba.

Thanks again &
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

drspastic

xkb broken

#76 Post by drspastic »

hi, just trying 5.4 for the first time and all is well except for Xkb which says 'an error has occurred' no matter what i try and alter.
i am running xorg, not xvesa.
not sure what to do.

Namm

#77 Post by Namm »

I've had the full install. Upgraded (not wipe) to 5.4 and now my poor Slacko isn't feeling too well anymore. The file manager and Chromium isn't starting, no background pictures... It has to be put out of its misery I guess. :(

I'm getting this when trying to run programs: "[...] symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_bytes_unref"

ally

#78 Post by ally »

@Namm

sounds similar to the problems I was having, odd page displays and 'bugginess (yes concise tech term!)

the file issues on my own (frugal) install was limited to the opening (mounting) of partitions (2 partitions on 2 drives), when opened they operated freely

having the same problem affecting 2 different drives rules out drive issues

I have rolled back to 5.3.3 and the problems have disappeared

:)

Billtoo

#79 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of my remastered slacko-54 PAE to my acer netbook.
Report Video 1.4 - Sat 8 Dec 2012 on Slacko Puppy 5.4 - Linux 3.4.17-PAE i686
Chip description:
5.0 VGA compatible controller:ATITechnologiesIncM880G[MobilityRadeon HD 4200]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS880M 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver used: fglrx
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1024x600 pixels (270x158 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
Version 3.3.11653 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes
# glxgears
8654 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1730.763 FPS
8666 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1733.177 FPS
8639 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1725.029 FPS
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Memory 1783MB (146MB used)
Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n
It's running well on this netbook but a tad warm, I may try the
non-PAE for a comparison.

EDIT:screenshot2 shows the non-PAE version running 7 degrees cooler
than the PAE version on this netbook.

EDIT:screenshot3 shows the non-PAE version running on a 6 core amd processor, super cool.

EDIT:screenshot4 shows the PAE version running on the 6 core amd processor, it's super cool too so it just makes a difference on the single core amd netbook.
Attachments
screenshot4.jpg
(15.96 KiB) Downloaded 959 times
screenshot3.jpg
(58.52 KiB) Downloaded 1611 times
screenshot2.jpg
(87.86 KiB) Downloaded 1817 times
screenshot.jpg
(87.1 KiB) Downloaded 1860 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Thu 13 Dec 2012, 18:02, edited 2 times in total.

vicmz

#80 Post by vicmz »

Sorry for the off-topic, I've made a .pet of Openbox with extra addons that you can find here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82800

Works in Slacko, Precise and Wary, may work in other Puppies.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]