Which Puppy should I install?

Booting, installing, newbie
PupLu

Which Puppy should I install?

#1 Post by PupLu »

There are so many Puppies, which is best for my PC? MacPup, Precise or Slacko. I have Slacko installed on another PC and it works fine. I have Bodhi Linux installed but it is hanging. So I want to try Puppy.

Pentium 4
RAM: 768 MB
Hard Disk: 160 GB

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

For a machine of that era, I would first try Wary or Lucid.

Colonel Panic

#3 Post by Colonel Panic »

Agreed, though another option would be ttuuxxx's Puppy Classic 2.14X. I got it working on an even older machine than yours - a Pentium 3 with 512 MB of RAM.

Then there's John Biles's Legacy 2, which is designed for older computers in mind and also worked well on my old machine. There are several options, even for an older machine.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

I detect an implication in the responses that your Pentium 4 is under-powered, and you should choose an older Puppy.
What nonsense.
Until recently I was happily using a Pentium2-350 with 256MB RAM. Puppy 2.14 ran super quick, but even Lucid 5.2 was reasonably quick.

A Pentium 4 with 768MB RAM should work just fine with the very latest releases - just avoid the "PAE" versions, which are compatible with systems having over 4GB RAM.

I recommend the latest official Puppy release - Slacko 5.4
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... era-4g.iso

PupLu

#5 Post by PupLu »

The other PC I am talking about is also from the same era with only 256 RAM and is running Slacko 5.2 without any problem.

T_Hobbit

#6 Post by T_Hobbit »

With a P3? Go for Slacko. A problem will you not have!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

Dewbie

#7 Post by Dewbie »

tempestuous wrote:
I detect an implication in the responses that your Pentium 4 is under-powered, and you should choose an older Puppy.
What nonsense.

I detect an implication that Wary is an "older Puppy."
What nonsense. :lol:
From BarryK:
It has been argued that the Puppy 4.x series is the high-point of Puppy development, one reason being that it runs well on a very wide range of hardware. I wanted to move to a new software base (new libraries, compiler, kernel, drivers, applications) yet retain that hardware support...The latest versions of many applications, such as SeaMonkey, Abiword, Gnumeric, and I do intend that many applications will be upgraded in future releases of Wary. Also the very latest media players and drivers -- video/audio, scanners, printers...I do expect that Wary will run fine on PCs a couple of years old, say built in 2008 or earlier.
History lesson, courtesy of Wikipedia:
Pentium 4 was a line of single-core desktop and laptop central processing units (CPUs), introduced by Intel on November 20, 2000 and shipped through August 8, 2008.
Last edited by Dewbie on Tue 11 Dec 2012, 01:49, edited 3 times in total.

liro

#8 Post by liro »

I found that Slacko "just worked" on my old laptop (Thinkpad X31), whereas I had a few different problems with Wary. I get the impression that Wary is more suited to very old hardware (like pre-2000). If you have a Pentium 4 then I'd definitely go for Slacko over Wary.