Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 12:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Gnewpet - makes pets from installed packages
Page 5 of 5 [64 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
RSH

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012, 08:38    Post subject:  

Hi.

I have used the gnewpet a lot to re-create .pet files from built in applications. Then extracted and searched the content to remove the files from the basic system to make it smaller and smaller. Result is by now a 110 MB LazY Puppy Version (my private OS, not the Web versions). I have reached a state now, where I can not get the OS smaller than 110 MB and so, there is no longer need for me to have the gnewpet still installed in the OS.

So, I did remove the gnewpet from my private Version of LazY Puppy.

But, hey!

I do not post this information here to blame the gnewpet (or something like that). It is still one of the best applications, the forum has to offer.

I will use it in the future again, if needed. And for such events/cases I did made a SFS from gnewpet-6.5 and I will use it in the future from SFS via the LazY Puppy SFS P.L.U.S. (Menu entry to call the RunScript to load gnewpet SFS and run gnewpet is still installed in my LazY Puppy).

I just want to inform anyone about the SFS, which can now be downloaded at the LazY Puppy Repository at smokey01.com.

Repository

GNewPet-6.5.sfs

RSH

jpeps

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012, 20:09    Post subject:  

I don't know that you would want to waste a loop for a 15K script. I use gnewpet frequently to check file content in addition to upgrading apps.
RSH

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012, 20:25    Post subject:  

Hi jpeps.

I do use each and every application which is not needed inside my LazY Puppy every day as sfs. Also there are some applications I do use every day and mostly right after X is loaded, but they are also made as sfs. I do have lots of sfs files sized in KB size category.

To use sfs files instead of installing or built in applications is my generally way of thinking "Puppy Linux". That's why the LazY Puppy is the LazY Puppy.

Also I do prefer not to use a save file. I'm running the LazY Puppy at my home workstation to 100% without any save file. LazY Puppy has 64 loops/mount-points for sfs files after boot up. I sometimes run LazY Puppy having up to 50 sfs files loaded. If I do get over the 64 mark, I can increase the mount-points by script or just let this do the sfs_load, which creates automatically a new one, if needed.

Lots of my latest applications are published as .pet and as .sfs. Most of them in KB sizes and the sfs files aren't much less downloaded compared to the pet files.

That's just all. Don't want to hurt anyone, don't intend to make anyone angry or something like that.

To me it's still one of the best applications/tools the forum has to offer. So, putting all differences out of the way: thank you again for that and thanks for having an ear to my suggestions on gnewpet.

RSH

Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013, 04:04    Post subject: from builtin packages ! Gnewpet
Subject description: En test

from builtin packages ! it's a very good thing.
Unfortunately no builtin packages in Legacy OS (puppy 4.2.1). I look further and deeper.
Being translated french (synthèse)
Finds current files for an installed Pet, and makes a new version in /tmp. Leave «new version» box blank for straight duplication, or edit to update name. Batch mode builds multiple pets.
It is the quickest and easiest way to build a .pet from installed,
and easier than converting .debs to .pets and finding they don’t work.
I prefer to save stuff for other future installations as .pets, not .debs, but need to know that they work.
The ability to do it from built-ins is the icing on the cake.
This could be useful in updating built-in apps via dot-pet, but making sure not to overwrite any «extra» files in the system.

What do you think about to modify gnewpet in the following way. Make the directory NOT statically (.packages). I think it would be better if it would be possible to select a path. Then you could mount an iso and then mount the xxx.sfs inside the iso and then grab the installed .pet files out without the need to run the iso (puppy) and install gnewpet into that puppy.
All could be done while running your favorite puppy.
Page 5 of 5 [64 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: