HOWTO stop puppy from saving when shutting down.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
nooby

#21 Post by nooby »

Quirky 142 are different. Despite me had both pmedia=ideflash and pupmode=13 it stayed in pupmode 5 and refused to get into mode 13

now to bed
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

seaside

#22 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:Quirky 142 are different. Despite me had both pmedia=ideflash and pupmode=13 it stayed in pupmode 5 and refused to get into mode 13

now to bed
Nooby,

Great work you've done here.

So as I understand, you found that (except for Quirky 142), a frugal install to a harddisk will boot puppy to pupmode=13 and

Code: Select all

/dev/loop1               51727     27268     24459  53% /initrd/pup_ro1
using "pmedia=ideflash" only (I don't think puppy accepts "pupmodes" as boot parameters)

A very fruitful day :)

Regards,
s

greengeek

#23 Post by greengeek »

Hi bilko,
I just wanted to advise that your method works perfectly on ThinSlacko 5.3.3t. I have been trialling all the other methods I could find on the forum and had many different versions of x hangs or system hangs during shutdown, however your simple script kills everything real quick and clean.

I seem to get no error messages during boot, so I am very pleased about that. I do have pfix=fsck in the boot config just in case anything odd happens, but all good so far. Real timesaver.

On this particular usb stick frugal installation I have not disabled the default periodic pupsave, so normal usage is captured eventually, However, if I accidentally make some system change that I regret, or just need to shutdown in a hurry and pack up, your script works perfectly. Thanks!

greengeek

Re: HOWTO stop puppy from saving when shutting down.

#24 Post by greengeek »

bilko1808 wrote:Right click poweroff file >>> Set Icon, get a suitable Icon for it.
Drag it to your desktop to create a link to it.
I love this "urgent shutdown" function so much I even made my own icon for it. I'm sure there are others with better icon-making skills than me, but hey, this is my best work so far...
:-)
I chose this icon to remind me that actions like urgent shutdowns carry an element of risk.
But, so far so good...

(except that it turns out that the icon isn't much use on a dark coloured desktop)
Attachments
PowerdownSkull48.png
(357 Bytes) Downloaded 718 times