Puppy 5.3.8 and IBM 600x doesn't seem to work

Booting, installing, newbie
vineyridge

Puppy 5.3.8 and IBM 600x doesn't seem to work

#1 Post by vineyridge »

I have a 2000 ThinkPad 600x which has been a warhorse of a computer. But it has a P3 processor, 500 megs of memory and a 25 G HHD. It's getting slower and slower, so I thought perhaps a flavor of Linux would speed it up. I know NOTHING about Linux or hardware or programming. I'm a complete computer consumer type. Need EASY with detailed instructions.

I downloaded Puppy 5.3.8 and burned the CD on my desktop. Did not finalize it. CD works well with my desktop which is a P4 Asus motherboard. I forget the model at the moment. Still have no idea about Puppy, so the learning process has just begun.

I put the CD into my 600x, and it wouldn't load. I got the following message:
Loading drivers needed to access disk drive DONE
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives
Searching deeper, sub sub folders in partitions Lupu_528.sfs not found. Dropping out to inital ram-disk console.
/bin/sb: Can't access tty:job control turned off
#
Laptop's only access to internet is through dial up, which is very slow.

Why will the disk work with the P4 desktop, but not with the P3 that is in the 600x? Is it that the CD will only work on the computer that created it?

What can I do to get a Linux that will work with the 600x?

Please remember, if answering, that I'm a computer dolt and, while not afraid to try things, need very clear instructions in plain English, not computerese.

Thanks for any help and advice.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is a common problem with the optical drives in old computers. Read here for some suggestions.

vineyridge

#3 Post by vineyridge »

I read the code to be inserted at boot. Haven't tried it yet, but am pretty confident that it will work.

However, would booting from the live CD require typing the code each and every time? Is there a way to save it to the CD? If so, when, where, and how?

Help is greatly appreciated.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

vineyridge wrote:I read the code to be inserted at boot. Haven't tried it yet, but am pretty confident that it will work.
????

In the time it took you to post this message, you could have tried it.