Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 13:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Softmaker FreeOffice
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 6 [76 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 00:37    Post subject:  Softmaker FreeOffice  

I just recieved this email from Softmaker. Very Happy

Quote:
Dear SoftMaker customer:

Christmas comes early this year!

From now until December 24, you can download SoftMaker FreeOffice for Windows and Linux for free – and help needy people at the same time: For every download, SoftMaker donates 10 Euro cents to charity and development projects around the world.

SoftMaker FreeOffice is a full-featured office suite for home and business use. And if you later decide you want even more features, you can switch to its commercial version, SoftMaker Office.

Spread the word! Tell friends and co-workers about our Load and Help 2012 campaign. We want to set a new record for donations this year!

http://www.loadandhelp.com/
I've been using their office suites for several years now and am very happy with them. Especially once they are stripped down to a reasonable size ~20MB. This can be done by stripping out most of the uneeded language files, just leave your own.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 03:37    Post subject: Re: Softmaker FreeOffice  

Yes, I received that email too. It seems to be a cut down version that can open docx and xlsx, for example, but not save to these formats. I haven't downloaded to check that though. Quite useful nevertheless since opening files of these formats is more important than being able to save to them methinks.
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 05:03    Post subject:  

I just downloaded it and it looks great. I am running Slacko 5.3 and downloaded the 32 bit .deb version and clicked on it. It didn't seem to add itself to the document menu (even after a restart of X), but I found the textmaker file at /usr/share/freeoffice and just dragged it to the desktop, then selected an icon from /usr/share/freeoffice/icons.

It can read docx, but not create them as far as I can tell.

This looks fantastic. I will have a play for a few weeks on different puppies, then I will probably pay for the 2012 Softmaker Office package to get the full docx capability.
chrome307

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 05:56    Post subject:  

Got the email today in my inbox and decided to grab a copy myself.

http://www.loadandhelp.com/home-en.html

or

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/download/freeoffice

All you need to do is provide your name/email and they send you a message with the download links and a serial number.

Language dictionaries can be found here:

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/download/dictionaries
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 17:00    Post subject: softmaker textmaker file corruption sometimes?  

I've been using 2008 for Linux in the past and a couple of years ago bought SO 2010 for Linux which reads and saves docx format.

Though I've found Softmaker office pretty good, 2010 is much slower than 2008 on my Puppy Linux. But, more seriously, if I have more than one complex textmaker document open and save results after an editing session, the resultant saved file sometimes gets corrupted (a mix of bits from the other files). Corruption has occurred using either textmaker 2008 or 2010.

Anyone else ever experience a similar problem?

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 07:03    Post subject:  

I would like you guys feedback on FreeOffice. I am in contact with someone at Softmaker, and there is the possibility of compiling FreeOffice optimised for Puppy, and including it in an official release of Puppy.

So, I would like to get feedback from users of FreeOffice!

Terryphi

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 07:28    Post subject:  

Does Planmaker open spreadsheets in the Libreoffice/OpenOffice format?
Features section on website makes no mention of this.

johnrpm

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 08:21    Post subject:  

I downloaded the tarball and precise asked if it was a package, answered yes and it installed to the document menu, added the
registration info and it works, I am amazed because things do not usually work out of the box for me as a noob.
I shall have a play with it, but I feel a bit guilty not sticking with open source, I have been trying to get the wife over to linux for some time, so this may help.
vicmz

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 11:08    Post subject:  

I'm downloading the .tar.gz package, they say it's got a script to help install, I'll test and tell later.

As far as I remember, I could both open and create ODF format documents with SoftMaker Office 2008. It never had any errors, but I missed the more flexible handling of tables from LibreOffice, I find this latter more comfortable to insert and edit tables in documents. However, SoftMaker Office 2008 is smaller and does what I need.

L18L

Location: Burghaslach, Germany somewhere also known as "Hosla"

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 13:44    Post subject: Softmaker FreeOffice
Subject description: installer

BarryK wrote:
...So, I would like to get feedback from users of FreeOffice!

I am not yet a user but I having installed FreeOffice I was very amazed about localization of comment:
textmaker-free.desktop wrote:
GenericName[zu]=Umshini Ohlela Amagama
Comment=The TextMaker word processor lets you work on any type of document.
Comment[de]=Die Textverarbeitung TextMaker ermöglicht es Ihnen, beliebige Arten von Dokumenten zu erstellen und zu bearbeiten.
Terminal=false
Categories=Application;Office;WordProcessor

Comment (different from name and generic name) is displayed in jwm menu and translation works!

Sorry if this is well known to all but for me it was a nice surprise Very Happy
Stuff for momanager?
----
edited later

momanager can handle this since
pinstall.sh wrote:
#120926 do same for Comment field...

I was just me who was blind for this feature of momanager Embarassed
comment_in_menu.png
 Description   
 Filesize   18.64 KB
 Viewed   2120 Time(s)

comment_in_menu.png

Last edited by L18L on Sat 15 Dec 2012, 06:43; edited 2 times in total
jrb

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 15:12    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:

I setup a portable FreeOffice on a usbdrive and ran the following tests using Slacko54.

Opened several MSWord documents in Textmaker, both .doc and .docx, with no problem, made small modifications and resaved as .doc's. I then opened them in MSWord 2007 (in Wine) and they all worked.
Opened text file Gutenberg 20000 Leagues Under the Sea in Textmaker, added a picture, saved as .doc, 343 pages. Opened in MSWord no problem.

Opened several multisheet Excel2007 workbooks in Planmaker, made changes and saved, reopened in Excel.

Opened several Powerpoint slide shows in Presentations, played them, made changes and saved. One of these refused to open again in Powerpoint. It contained an embedded link to an external file. Presentation told me it couldn't open the embedded object, I guess in resaving this became a problem.

I quite like SoftMaker Office. Its missing some of the bells and whistles of MSO, but that's a good thing. Its been much more reliable for me than Abiword where anything over 3 pages crashed. Gnumeric is a great program but Planmaker is just as good.

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/features
Quote:
Opens and saves OpenDocument and OpenOffice.org documents

I say. "Go for it!". Very Happy
vicmz

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 15:20    Post subject:  

I've downloaded the .tgz package, extracted and clicked the script. It installed FreeOffice, but I had to fixmenus from terminal, then I tried to open TextMaker from the menu, I got an error. From terminal I typed textmakerfree and despite a few more errors it launched textmaker. This happened to me on Wary 5.4 beta 2.
capture10292.png
 Description   
 Filesize   2.98 KB
 Viewed   2094 Time(s)

capture10292.png

capture9637.png
 Description   
 Filesize   8.24 KB
 Viewed   2075 Time(s)

capture9637.png

Okeh

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 18:47    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
I would like you guys feedback on FreeOffice. I am in contact with someone at Softmaker, and there is the possibility of compiling FreeOffice optimised for Puppy, and including it in an official release of Puppy.

I have been using the 2008 version because I needed a program which would also open Word files from my work. 2008 worked very well, the only problem being the lack of compatibility with .docx. I just saved everything in Word at work as .doc files but occasionally it was an issue if someone sent a .docx.

I've just started using Freeoffice, and thus far no problems. It runs on my old Toshiba Tecra 8000, vintage 1998, in MacPup. I think the program is great and the freedom from all the extra crap in MS Word [not to mention the ribbon menus] is actually a positive. It allows me to be mostly Windows free at home [work is another matter, unfortunately].
smokey01

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 21:22    Post subject:  

I didn't notice a 64 bit version.

Is one available?

vicmz

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 21:37    Post subject:  

smokey01 wrote:
I didn't notice a 64 bit version.

Is one available?

Yes, there is. After registration I received an email message with my serial number and download links including 32bit and 64bit, .rpm and .deb packages.

Page 1 of 6 [76 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: