ArchPup - Puppy based on Arch Linux

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives

Scooby

help

#142 Post by Scooby »

1.Building tixati from AUR works fine.
Is there a similar way to download a package with pacman, Have it stored locally
and installed with pacman -U.

For example I want to download firefox and dependencies and install them with
pacman from local files?

I can download firefox with
pacman -Syw firefox --cachedir .

*EDIT*
I found out that I could get all with
pacman -Syd firefox --cachedir .

But how do you install it with pacman in a easy way?

2.Tried the offered solution on tor browser bundle. It bypasses not running as root problem,
When I figured out I had to start up localhost it runs to
Bootstrap 50% loading relay descriptors then
it hangs. Anyone come across this problem before?

3. With devx loaded I get a file exist conflict(sqllite?) when installing firefox. I just removed the conflicting files. Is this the correct procedure or can you resolve conflicts any other way?

4. How do you configure touchpad? I miss two finger scrolling.
cannot find /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf

oui

#143 Post by oui »

Hi simargl

I did only resquash with archpup the file system contained in /initrd/pup_ro2,

no change!

the result is an arch-1204.sfs beeing 96 MB (yours, exactly the same, is only 73 MB).

my /root/.history :

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/home
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/home
mkdir /mnt/home/archpup/pup_ro2
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro2 /mnt/home/archpup/pup_ro2
mv /mnt/home/archpup/arch-1204.sfs /mnt/home/archpup/arch-1204.sfs.ur
cd /mnt/home/archpup/
ls
mksquashfs pup_ro2 arch-1204.sfs
what is the reason?

(it is very important for people working with your new *.iso: we try to make more interesting things with it but can't compare our efforts with the original :oops: : 20 MB and more depending only from squash method, it is more than we can thing about!)

kind regards

simargl

#144 Post by simargl »

This is what I used

mksquashfs install arch-1204.sfs -comp xz -b 524288 -Xbcj x86
@Scooby: sqlite is inside development sfs, you don't need to install it.
See if pacman recognize it as installed with pacman -Ss sqlite. If you need
to store packages locally they are in folder /var/cache/pacman, just move
them somewhere.

mavrothal

#145 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:i'm having an issue with the pup-volume-monitor. it's not refreshing. if i plug in a usb stick...i have to logout/restart x for it to appear in thunar. same procedure to make it go away after unplugging it.
I can verify that.
The problem is the included udev-175.
Adding my udev-167 pet makes the problem go away
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stifiling

#146 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:I can verify that.
The problem is the included udev-175.
Adding my udev-167 pet makes the problem go away
wow...the udev again. and u told me this already, and u're right again. that was exactly the problem. thanks again.

morgonzola

#147 Post by morgonzola »

Is the panel tint2? And also can I get it to display certain icons and not show the most recent ones and maybe have the open ones present but then go away when I close them? Kinda like the windows7/unity docks. It looks great though! And it runs really well on my Asus 1005hab. However, I am having issues booting it on my dell dimension 8400 because of some grub errors I can't figure out. :cry:

mavrothal

#148 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:I just run some tests with booting from usb device. USB is formated as FAT32 and I used
unetbootin in windows to create bootable Live USB. It works if you don't have savefile
or if savefile is on hard disk partition. But if you create savefile on USB after reboot it gives
kernel panic !? :roll: :? I don't know why would empty savefile make that problem.
It would appear that the problem is in the initrd.
Could you point out how the archpup initrd was made (in relation to puppy-clasic)?
My hunch is that the extra pup_roX somehow confuse probpart_init and/or busybox init, but would be good to know of any other (than the kernel) differences.

Regarding the initrd kernel modules it would also appear that is made differently (how?). Specifically is missing modules.*map that without udev in initrd can be problem when booting up.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#149 Post by simargl »

@morgonzola: Panel is tint2, and you can add or remove launchers in /root/.config/tint2/tint2rc,
see this line launcher_item_app = /usr/share/applications/urxvt.desktop.

I will add script that was used to make ArchPup initrd.gz in attachment. Original file is from
Puppy Precise, I replaced only DISTRO_SPECS and /lib/modules/*.
Attachments
newinit.gz
(18.46 KiB) Downloaded 613 times

mavrothal

#150 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: I will add script that was used to make ArchPup initrd.gz in attachment. Original file is from
Puppy Precise, I replaced only DISTRO_SPECS and /lib/modules/*.
Looks OK.
I run some tests and is not the init script nor the kernel.
The archsave file loads OK and get the kernel panic when it tries to load the main sfs :? Busybox?...

oui

what is the future of ArchPup?

#151 Post by oui »

Hi

Using Arch Pup all the time since it did appear here, I am very happy with all the conception of this smart, fast (1/2 starting time of course in relation also with the size of the ISO: I have not to wait the starting of a lot of applications sizes which I will never use in a great time of sessions...) and flexible distribution!

I only miss one: A ready to use SFS for printing, networking, and media (commando line mplayer would be enough in a first approach and probably better as more as flashplayer, being easy to install, does a lot within a browser...) as such activity are sometimes really tricky to install...

But it was not my question today. Today is my question: What is the future of ArchPup as Arch is a rolling distribution? Two ways seem to be possible:

- way 1: the maintener of this distro publishes all n month a new frish release

- way 2: he writes and publishes a script downloading the stuff from Arch and making automatic this actualiised release on demand! It would of course be the really perfect solution, as it would make the people using this base to build special puplets to help himself starting or publishing a new work to make certain to start the work / the publication with a really actual version!

What is the road map in this matter?

Kind regards

stifiling

#152 Post by stifiling »

the kernel panic on usb booting with a save file is a massive downer. having high hopes that it'll be resolved.

mavrothal

#153 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:the kernel panic on usb booting with a save file is a massive downer. having high hopes that it'll be resolved.
Yes it is.
One other thing I can think of is the absence of a distro ID string in archpup that the puppy init script uses to find its files.
I'll try to test that latter and see if it works.

Latter: No is not the ID string :(
Also tried an old init script (May 2010). Same thing :? :?

stifiling

#154 Post by stifiling »

i remastered precise (which we all know works as expected) replacing /usr /var /root and /lib, (all but /lib/modules) with the files from archpuppy. of course the system didn't work properly, X didn't start and so on but it did load to a tty prompt.

so i say, great...it loaded completely, let's try with a save file from USB.

i created a precisesave.2fs file and tried to boot it from USB and 'kernel panic'. So...i'm knowing it's not of 'much' help but based on that test, from what i can tell, the problem is in one of those dirs.

i originally thought it was something in /etc.

michiamophil

#155 Post by michiamophil »

Hi all
I'm new in this forum and I really like puppy with arch :)
I was looking for a distro for my eeepc and I found puppeee, but it not seems still developed..
I think archpup should be fine for netbook, maybe with kernel-netbook installed, that it's simple to install by pacman :)
I'll do some tests soon!

mavrothal

#156 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote: i originally thought it was something in /etc.
It is something in etc! :D
I did some voodoo boot and debug 8) and turns out that the panic is when it is accessing /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG in the save file.
Turns out that if you take any puppy and you remove/rename the /etc/rc.d from the savefile (in another machine) you get a kernel panic when you try to boot.
Why this is happening when you have the savefile in a USB stick but not when in a HD, I have no idea. :? I' ll ask Barry I guess.
In the mean time, looks like that savefile creation in archpup must become more puppy-like. Is rather awkward the way it is right now anyway.

(latter) Till then if you want to boot with a save file in a USB, after you create it mount it and add these 2 files
/etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG

EXTRASFSLIST=''
PREVUNIONRECORD='archsave.2fs arch-1204.sfs'
LASTUNIONRECORD='archsave.2fs arch-1204.sfs'
and
/etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE

PUPMODE=13
PDEV1=''
DEV1FS=''
PUPSFS='sda1,ext3,/arch-1204.sfs'
PUPSAVE='sda1,ext3,/archsave.2fs'
PMEDIA='atahd'
#ATADRIVES is all internal ide/pata/sata drives, excluding optical, excluding usb...
ATADRIVES='sda '
#ATAOPTICALDRIVES is list of non-usb optical drives...
ATAOPTICALDRIVES='sr0 '
#these directories are unionfs/aufs layers in /initrd...
SAVE_LAYER='/pup_rw'
PUP_LAYER='/pup_ro2'
#The partition that has the archsave file is mounted here...
PUP_HOME='/mnt/dev_save'
#(in /initrd) ...note, /mnt/home is a link to it.
#this file has extra kernel drivers and firmware...
ZDRV=''
#complete set of modules in the initrd (moved to main f.s.)...
ZDRVINIT='no'
#Partition no. override on boot drive to which session is (or will be) saved...
PSAVEMARK=''
PSUBDIR=''
Make sure you adjust the paths and the USB filesystem accordingly
Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 18:40, edited 2 times in total.

stifiling

#157 Post by stifiling »

It would be nice if this project sparked an interest in Barry. Looking at it from this side of the table...it appears as though it would be 'easier' and plain, 'better' to base a traditional puppy off this head start.

the ubuntu based puppys don't install the big apps like wicd, blueman, pulseaudio, and others correctly. At least they didn't in Lucid and from that lesson learned, i never wasted time trying them in Precise.

This archpuppy that i'm using on my computer now is a clone of my full arch linux. every app i use works but faster. i'm a click away from scraping the full arch linux installation. It's just sitting there, never being used, on a 'just in case' status, the same as XP.

darkcity

#158 Post by darkcity »

that's interesting that the repository support actually works, I've found this a problem all Puppy's I've used.

oui

#159 Post by oui »

Stop mavrothal
mavrothal wrote:In the mean time, looks like that savefile creation in archpup must become more puppy-like. Is rather awkward the way it is right now anyway.
Please, let Archpup as it is, different, more as old first Puppy's were!!

The GREAT performances of Archpup are

- 1/2 Size (*1
- 1/2 Starting time
- NO loose of time with silly dilly little windows to ask if my gran'ma, my gran'pa etc. and later, doing shutting down, if I will a safe file!
- dynamic Puppy menu and task bar
- task bar left, exactly at the place where occidental text lines begin :roll: = ergonomic :!: I usually never need to find an other mouse cursor position!
- great packaging system from Arch packages
- great conversion ability *.PET > *.SFS
- great management from *. SFS : it works perfectly

Why do you want a save file?

Are you not able to know and use the 5 lines needed to remaster Archpup with some personal data? Poor, really poor :oops: !!!

You don't need to install any *.PETs! Have you loose the reason?

You can transfer all *. PET's working well into *.SFS: IT IS INCLUDED IN PERFECTION

Please let the smudge hands away from Archpup and let it as it is!

Kind regards

(*1 compared with Slacko, a medium size Puppy!

mavrothal

#160 Post by mavrothal »

oui,
I just spend few good hours trying to solve a major bug in ArchPup.
You are clearly unable to appreciate it, but please at least stop screaming.