How to use Wake-On-Lan in Slacko 5.3.3?

Using applications, configuring, problems
ally

How to use Wake-On-Lan in Slacko 5.3.3?

#1 Post by ally »

hey boys and girls

your help please

I have a couple of Dell gx520/gx620 machines that I have been having trouble with the wake-on-lan settings, neither would!

I have just installed Windows on the gx520 that I'm gifting to a young 'un in need (puppy dual booted like it or not!) and have after some googling found that if I set the device driver settings to magic packet in device manager then WOL works

how can I achieve a similar result in puppy (slacko 5.3.3)

thanks

:)

ally

#2 Post by ally »

ok, a little more digging around

in a user manual pdf from broadcom it says that it can be switched using:

b57udiag -w 1 (1 on, 0 off)

this is an msdos command

anything similar for puppy......

ally

#3 Post by ally »

further digging..............

I have seen that ethtool is bundled so used:

ethtool eth0 -s wol g

when I ran ethtool eth0 is showed wol with g switch but still doesn't work

confused

help please..........!!!

cheers

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I assume you've confirmed in the BIOS that the computer is in fact capable of wake-on-LAN.

ally

#5 Post by ally »

hey flash

yes I have, thanks

it's definitely a software switch as the windows version shows, I spent ages googling, seems there is a "enable_wol=1" switch for the driver which I have tried using 'modprob tg3 enable_wol=1" but to be honest I stabbing in the dark

from what I understand it's turned off in the kernel unless you turn it on

this machine is connected to my hifi stack and acts as my music server, getting less mobile now so it would help if I could switch remotely

the thing the pishing me off the most is windows does and so far puppy doesn't, ggggrrrrr!!

the machine I built for a gift took a couple of hours to load but didn't find the ethernet, audio, video and system chipset, puppy, 40 secs and everything found!!! outstanding!!

ally

#6 Post by ally »

>> bump

I'm still struggling with this one

ethtool etho report wol=g (wol enabled) but I still can't get wake-on-lan to work

any help here would be really appreciated

npierce

#7 Post by npierce »

I know next to nothing about WOL, but since you've had no recent responses from anyone else, I decided to take a look into this.

Since the network interface should be brought down properly before power-down, I took a look at /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown to see if that was doing so. It looks like it is.

But then I noticed that after it brings the interface down it executes these line of code:

Code: Select all

# Unload the Ethernet drivers on shutdown to prevent battery drain.
for i in `lsmod | cut -d' ' -f1 | tr '\n' ' '`
do
 if grep -q "^$i " /etc/networkmodules; then
  modprobe -r "$i"
 fi
done
The battery drain that those lines prevent happens because the PC is listening on the network for the MagicPacket or other WOL option. So those lines of code are great to have if you happen to have a laptop with the problem that they solve, but not so great if you really want to use WOL.

Back-up /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown, then edit the original to comment-out or remove those lines. See if that helps.

ally

#8 Post by ally »

thanks for taking the time

the problem must be along these lines as I've read threads across the web with a similar outlook

I read something last night about power to the nic, the OP commented that if the machine is unplugged and reconnected it works

I tried your suggestion without success but a cable out (and wait for the nic light to discharge) and replug solves the problem

what really pisses on my chips is that it works in windows so I've gotta get to the bottom of it!!!!

thanks again for trying