How to disable dysfunctional graphics driver? (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
ixpnu

How to disable dysfunctional graphics driver? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by ixpnu »

Hi all,
I'd like to try Puppy on an Acer Aspire One d270 netbook. Unfortunately, this machine has a graphics card (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator GMA 3600) that is not fully supported by linux. Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 12.10 and Linux Mint 14 all boot to a black screen, for instance. Linux Mint 13 works, however.

When I boot Puppy Linux (pangolin - 5.2.4) I get the same scenario as with the distros mentioned above, i.e. when the graphics card is detected and (I suppose) a switch of graphics driver is made, the screen goes black.

I've tried booting with the "puppy pfix -nox" option, but the screen goes black anyway, at the same point in the boot sequence as far as I can tell (the last message is 'loading kernel modules' or something like that).

I boot from a usb flash memory that I have prepared using unetbootin.

How can I disable the non-functioning driver? Or is the problem something else?
Last edited by ixpnu on Fri 14 Dec 2012, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

I've tried booting with the "puppy pfix -nox" option
The boot option is puppy pfix=nox
This should make it boot, but not start X server.
At prompt type xorgwizard.
The very basic video
Choose Vesa driver.
Set resolution to something you know should work.
Finish xorgwizard.
Type xwin at prompt.
Hopefully you will now be at desktop.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

slenkar

Re: How to disable dysfunctional graphics driver?

#3 Post by slenkar »

ixpnu wrote:Hi all,
I'd like to try Puppy on an Acer Aspire One d270 netbook. Unfortunately, this machine has a graphics card (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator GMA 3600) that is not fully supported by linux. Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 12.10 and Linux Mint 14 all boot to a black screen, for instance. Linux Mint 13 works, however.

When I boot Puppy Linux (pangolin - 5.2.4) I get the same scenario as with the distros mentioned above, i.e. when the graphics card is detected and (I suppose) a switch of graphics driver is made, the screen goes black.

I've tried booting with the "puppy pfix -nox" option, but the screen goes black anyway, at the same point in the boot sequence as far as I can tell (the last message is 'loading kernel modules' or something like that).

I boot from a usb flash memory that I have prepared using unetbootin.

How can I disable the non-functioning driver? Or is the problem something else?
I have an Intel graphics card that wouldnt work with any linux until puppy 5.4 came out, try those
'precise' and 'slacko'

ixpnu

#4 Post by ixpnu »

The boot option is puppy pfix=nox

Sorry about that, pfix=nox is what I've actually tried, with the results I described before. I know it has to do with the kernel being incompatible with the d270 (I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I guess it's pretty serious). That problem is descibed here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2074161

So with that in mind I've been experimenting with other Puppy versions. Neither pangolin nor slacko works, but lucid does. I guess I'll have to be content with that? Then with lucid there are some wireless driver problems, but that's a topic for antoher thread.

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

Specs:

http://gdgt.com/acer/aspire/one/d270/specs/

:::::

Bloody Acer...3 different wireless drivers.

And crap support site...no manual.

http://www.acerdriverdownload.com/acer- ... -7-drivers

Wireless(Intel) LAN Driver – Download

Wireless(Broadcom) LAN Driver – Download

Wireless(Atheros) LAN Driver – Download

:::::::::

Ubuntu says

Wireless card is a Broadcom BCM4313

http://askubuntu.com/questions/174065/w ... e-one-d270

Chris.