Booting, installing, newbie
snayak

How to backup only modified files?

#1 Post by snayak »

Dear All,

I have two directories in my machine A.
Those directories are big, 10 GB each.
They are my working directories.

I want to take backup/copy of those directories to another machine B via my pen drive.

15 days back I had copied them to machine B.

Now I want to take/copy only those files that has been modified since then.
Challenge is, I want to take them keeping their directory/path structure intact.
That mean, files from a particular directory/subdirectory should goto same directory/subdirectory of new machine B.

How can I do that?
Any good application in puppy help me doing that?

Initially I thought I will copy the whole directories to machine B for backup form time to time, but it is really a pain.

Tried checking PFind. But it only lists out files. Again it is a manual task.

I couldn't understand what and how to use PBackup, Pmirror Psnapshot etc. So thought, I will ask for expert advice.

Please help.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
Last edited by snayak on Sun 23 Dec 2012, 06:57, edited 5 times in total.
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

Sylvander

Re: Help me taking a simple backup.

#2 Post by Sylvander »

snayak wrote:Now I want to take/copy only those files that has been modified since then.
Challenge is, I want to take them keeping their directory/path structure intact.
That mean, files from a particular directory/subdirectory should goto same directory/subdirectory of new machine B.

How can I do that?
A. I believe Snap2 is the best program for doing that.
Which Puppy are you running?
Snap2 may be natively included in your Puppy, and perhaps found in "Menu->Utility".

B. I also use Xfe for making copies of whole partition contents, and restoring Snap2 backups.

snayak

#3 Post by snayak »

Hi Sylvander,

Thanks for your reply.

However, if I use snap2, it says it can make a mirror of my working dir on my pen drive. But my working dirs are 10 gb each and I have a pen drive for 8 gb.

I am using Wary530.

I have copied content of two working dirs from A to B using my pen drive several times.

Now I want to take only modified files, so that it will be less time consuming as well as less space consuming. So that my pen drive will be sufficient.

Hope, you understood my problem.

BTW, what is Xfe? Where it is found?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

Sylvander

#4 Post by Sylvander »

snayak wrote:...if I use snap2, it says it can make a mirror of my working dir on my pen drive. But my working dirs are 10 gb each and I have a pen drive for 8 gb.
(a) The first time you make a backup using snap2, it will backup EVERYTHING you have specified as needing copied.
Hence, it takes a long time to complete that 1st copy, and uses all of the space needed by the items copied.
So if you have items being copied that use 10GB of space, then that 1st copy is going to need 10GB of space.
But....
(b) Each subsequent copy will only need enough space to hold the folder/file CHANGES made to the source since the previous copies.
Hence, each of these copies uses much less time and storage space.
(c) When you want to copy back [i.e. restore] one of the later copies/backups...
Although the latest backup only includes the changes...
It lists EVERYTHING [including all the previous backups] as though they are included in the latest [they are actually linked from the previous backups]...
And so, when/if you use [for example] Xfe to copy back [i.e. restore][one of] the latest backups, it actually restores EVERYTHING, as shown by that backup.
You'll understand when you use and see.

snayak wrote:what is Xfe? Where it is found?
(a) Search your Wary-530 PPM ["Puppy Package Manager"] to see if Xfe is included.
If so, install it from there...
If it isn't...
(b) There are all kinds of different PET files on the Puppy forums for different versions of Xfe.
I don't use Wary-530, so don't know which version is best to use for that, but...
Here in Slacko-5.3.3.1 I'm using the version installed using xfe_staticFOX-1.32.1-i486.pet
Make a copy of your warysave file before installing using the above PET file, and if it doesn't work out OK, restore the backup warysave.
(c) I have my Slacko set up so I can choose to reboot without saving session changes.

That's my 1st/preferred method used to eliminate session changes [like installing Xfe] that I want to eliminate at 1st shutdown/reboot after the change.

(d) What is Xfe?

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

snayak

#6 Post by snayak »

My script to solve this problem is at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83242