How to boot puppy lupu with lupusave.2fs preloaded from WAN

Using applications, configuring, problems
69jakk

How to boot puppy lupu with lupusave.2fs preloaded from WAN

#1 Post by 69jakk »

Hi everyone!

I've got a problem...

I'm trying to boot puppy lupu (puppy 5.4) from WAN with the following menu entry:

label Puppy
MENU LABEL Puppy Lupu
kernel /images/lupu/vmlinuz psubdir=http://69ddwrt.no-ip.or/images/lupu/
append root=http://69ddwrt.no-ip.org/images/lupu/ boot=lupu netboot=nfs nfsroot=http://69ddwrt.no-ip.org/images/lupu/ initrd=http://69ddwrt.no-ip.../lupu/initrd.gz

Lupu works fine after booting over http with gpxe firmware but I want to go further...

I want to load the lupusave.2fs file in order to access all the applications I've installed with no need of reinstall all the applications every time I'm booting puppy from pxe.

I've tried with the multiple initrdfile command to load more than one file but it doesn't work...

Any ideas or suggestions?

Any support would be much appreciated...

Regards.

69jakk

Please

#2 Post by 69jakk »

Please help :(

69jakk

Re: Please

#3 Post by 69jakk »

Thanks for all the replies :roll:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I suppose you've received no replies because no one knows the answer to your question - as you've posed it. I certainly don't. Rather than complain because no one is helping you, why don't you tell us more about the hardware, the problem, what you've tried? Anything at all. You never know what might jog someone's thinking process or at least their interest. :)

Oh, and by the way, be careful about posting the same problem several places in the forum. It scatters the answers around and makes the forum less useful for everyone. :wink:

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

I think I can understand what you are doing. And it looks intriguing.

I just stumbled upon this thread and am late to this table.

Comment (without totally understand Puppy boot code)
I am not sure if Puppy has the intelligence to search your web location for a save session file. And, as I understand it, your problem is just that.

Consider this
Here's an idea to prove it. Copy your save session file to a local drive (USB/HDD) and reboot using "puppy loglevel=7" there you will note the message(s) of what/he does as he boots your system. You will see what he is doing to get your save-session as well as what is being done to get your primary system over the WAN.

The ONLY distro in Puppyland that may have the intelligence to do what you intend is FATDOG64 versions 600+....I think.

Post back here to give us a status of what you find.

Here to help

69jakk

#6 Post by 69jakk »

Flash wrote:I suppose you've received no replies because no one knows the answer to your question - as you've posed it. I certainly don't.
It's weird that no one has tried the same as me before... But I agree...
Flash wrote:Rather than complain because no one is helping you, why don't you tell us more about the hardware, the problem, what you've tried? Anything at all.
Well I agree this time too and I'm really sorry for the complain...I shouldn't have done it...

By another hand...I have tried several kernel arguments as "puppy pfix=noram" "loglevel=3" and other but not understandig what I was really doing...sorry but I'm almost a newbie...

I have tried to recompile the initrd.gz file with the lupusave.2fs file with cpio but the shell threw up "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!" after "performing a switch_root to the layered filesystem"...

So no success with any of the options I have tried... I'm not sure if it's a hardware problem that's why I won't tell my hardware configuration... I think that's not the point but if anyone thinks it can be then I will detail at most as I can...
Flash wrote:Oh, and by the way, be careful about posting the same problem several places in the forum. It scatters the answers around and makes the forum less useful for everyone. :wink:
Yes...you're right again...but you should understand that I'm kind of exhausted lookig for a solution all over the murga forum :(

Thanks anyway for posting and reply...

Greetings Flash!

69jakk

#7 Post by 69jakk »

gcmartin wrote:I think I can understand what you are doing. And it looks intriguing.

I just stumbled upon this thread and am late to this table.
gcmartin...I really appreciate your interest ;)

gcmartin wrote:Comment (without totally understand Puppy boot code)
I am not sure if Puppy has the intelligence to search your web location for a save session file. And, as I understand it, your problem is just that.
I completely agree.
gcmartin wrote:Consider this
Here's an idea to prove it. Copy your save session file to a local drive (USB/HDD) and reboot using "puppy loglevel=7" there you will note the message(s) of what/he does as he boots your system. You will see what he is doing to get your save-session as well as what is being done to get your primary system over the WAN.
Very interesting idea...Yes Sir...But...How can I find out what puppy is doing? Is there any kind of log? Puppy doesn't save anything on my server computer and the shell runs to fast for me... I have no time to read anything :(
gcmartin wrote:The ONLY distro in Puppyland that may have the intelligence to do what you intend is FATDOG64 versions 600+....I think.
gcmartin...I didn't know about FATDOG64... I haven't searched so much but...Do you think I can run a 64Bits OS in a 32Bits machine? I'm rather interested in a fully compatible system like ubuntu but very tiny and light version...so...I just found puppy...but I don't know about all the puppy distributions...But in few minutes I will get some knowledge about it...Thanks again!

Regards. ;)

gcmartin

#8 Post by gcmartin »

... didn't know about FATDOG64... I haven't searched so much but...Do you think I can run a 64Bits OS in a 32Bits machine? ...
No, you MUST have a 64bit machine.

So that will not be an option for exploration...unless you have a 64bitPC. But, even then, it might be prudent to appeal to @JamesBond or the FATDOG64 thread for comments about boot-time parameters which will allow use of save-session file which is stored outside of the local system. I'm not exactly sure of whether its current implementation will extend to http: locations. It does, though, allow access of save-session outside of the local machine on the local LAN.
If the support is written with a universal means, this may be the solution for what you are trying to achieve.

But, before going that route, try to position the save session on a local HDD and test to see if the system actually finds the save-session. If it does (and I suspect it will), the next step is to try to see if there is a way to get a 32bit PUP to do what @JamesBond has achieved.

This has some very interesting possibilities as the world is moving in a direction where the solution you seek is not only directional but places Puppy squarely in the sights of the future.

Here to help

69jakk

#9 Post by 69jakk »

Thanks for the information...

When I put the lupusave.2fs file into the pendrive...the puppy OS finds the file but after few lines...again...Kernel panic... :(

I'm thinking it can be my save file but... I have no idea... maybe is beacause of the filesystem? Can I save a .2fs filesystem in a FAT32 stick? Should it run properly?

Regards.

gcmartin

#10 Post by gcmartin »

69jakk wrote:Thanks for the information...

When I put the lupusave.2fs file into the pendrive...the puppy OS finds the file but after few lines...again...Kernel panic... :(

I'm thinking it can be my save file but... I have no idea... maybe is beacause of the filesystem? Can I save a .2fs filesystem in a FAT32 stick? Should it run properly?

Regards.
I hope I address this proper.

1st, I don't think the file-system for partition containing the save-session file matters. If PUP writes your save-session, I believe there will not be a problem reading from it.

Next
I have seen many responses by developers to the community about the presence of old save-sessions when upgrading a "like" Puppy distro. In so many cases, they share to insure the system does not find the old save when trying to run a new version of the PUP.

In my case, I run DVD based PUPs and have never "installed" either frugal or HDD based PUPs.

Lets assume this is the first time I have started a new PUP distro and it ask during Shutdown "Where do I want to save the session file (with CD or filesystem offered for selection)?"

I am to assume that you are answering this as filesystem where PUPPY will then take you through a "bunch" of text based screens as it creates a file, then format the file into a filesystem, then writes your system changes into that filesystem before it finally shuts-down.

IFF my assumption is correct, this is what you've done. AND when attempting to boot, again, using the same HTTP base system, you are getting a kernel panic.

Questions
When this panic occurs:
  • can you see, on the boot screen, if he found and used your save-session?
  • Can you see if he has connected to the HTTP host and is getting your PUP's SFS?
Any information in the timing of the kernel panic you're seeing could shed some light on where in the boot process this is occurring.

My thoughts (again without any real knowledge of how the underlying boot code and its timing work) is that the boot process is getting confused when it starts its vmlinux at HTTP, then finds and loads the save-session locally, then goes back to HTTP for the SFS. This may be the essence of the problem.

Let us know what you see and the order of what you see so that the developers can address this.

Here to help

69jakk

#11 Post by 69jakk »

gcmartin wrote:Questions
When this panic occurs:
  • can you see, on the boot screen, if he found and used your save-session?
  • Can you see if he has connected to the HTTP host and is getting your PUP's SFS?
Any information in the timing of the kernel panic you're seeing could shed some light on where in the boot process this is occurring.
Dear gcmartin... I've almost fixed the problem but I still didn't get all I need from puppy :(

There is no kernel panic anymore...

The problem was the savefile...

I fixed it making a new lupusave.3fs save file of 512 MB size and now it loads fine from pendrive.

But I want to load the lupusave.3fs file into ram together to initrd.gz file.

I recompiled or joined the two files (lupusave.3fs and initrd.gz) into one and puppy loads fine but without any preloaded applications...puppy ignores completely the lupusave.3fs file already loaded into ram.
gcmartin wrote:
Let us know what you see and the order of what you see so that the developers can address this.

Here to help
gcmartin...as you can see you're the only one wants to help me and I'm a little bit sad for that...

I'm sure this forum is full of puppy and linux experts but I don't get why they don't want to help me...

In order to help me I just need some topic or answer to this question:

Is there anyway to load the lupusave.3fs file from ram?

Any idea would be appreciated.

PD: Sorry for leaving the post so many time but I've been very busy lately...

Greets!