Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 30 Oct 2014, 10:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
ArchPup 12.12.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 31 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) Acer Laptop emachines 2 GB RAM AMD64. franco-/germanophone, +/- anglophone

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2012, 18:58    Post_subject:  

hi simargl

simargl wrote:
oui wrote:
I did see that Cups is build in but will not start both in Firefox or Seamonkey.

cupsd service in /etc/init.d is from original woof rootfs, and cups is installed
with all dependencies. You might see this guide
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS#Installing_the_server_packages
to install gutenprint foomatic and load linux-firmware sfs. See if right kernel
modules are loaded with lsmod.

we have 2 classic software connections through localhost in puppy

- Cups
- didiwiki (is in each official Puppy since years ago! only a full hand bytes, no dependence) at localhost:8000

Copy didiwiki from an other Puppy into /usr/bin and start it as deamon (manually or in /root/.start) as it is not available at Arch depos.

It will probably start and you can try to connect to didiwiki by invocation

localhost:8000

in each browser (links, elinks, links, midori, firefox, seamonkey). never failing.

did localhost:8000 or localhost:631 work on your PC (on my PC both don't work!)?

kind rgds
James C

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2012, 23:43    Post_subject:  

Fresh frugal install of ArchPup 12.12 on my Athlon XP box....along with the Archapps sfs. Zero problems. Sound,internet and display all working and correct on initial boot.
Already rebooted several times and everything is working smoothly. Smile
ArchPup 12.12.png
 Description   
 Filesize   209.15 KB
 Viewed   1509 Time(s)

ArchPup 12.12.png

James C

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 00:07    Post_subject:  

Just for testing purposes I also did a traditional full install of ArchPup 12.12 on an old P4 test box......... along with Xubuntu, Zenwalk ,Vector and a bunch of Puppy installs.

Still tweaking on it but working pretty well so far.
songzi

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 00:24    Post_subject:  

Hi simargl,

wlan0 is not up after archpup is up and running. I am using it on a Thinkpad x230. Its wireless wifi module shall be Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200.

Any advice on how to load the driver module for this machine?

TIA. Like this Archpup very much. Thanks a lot.

Edited_time_total
mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 00:57    Post_subject:  

Keef wrote:
Savefile: I've found that I need to make a savefile and not bother making any changes first time - they don't get saved.

Yes, looks like the usbsave call did not make it into rc.shutdown.
If you have made a savefile you can run "usbsave" in the terminal before the first shutdown to save your first boot changes .

simargl wrote:
Well I thought about this and because it's not really possible to remove files from squashfs image, they are just renamed to .wh.filename, decided to just delete this whiteout files, in pupmode 13 and when savefile is created in pupmode 5. It is possible to overwrite them, only not to remove them, because they can never be really deleted.

Is not possible to remove files from the sfs but you can remove them from the working filesystem. That's exactly why the whiteouts exist.
What about if you want to install an app that conflicts with an existing one or you want to check if a specific file causes an issue?
You may want to incorporate the whiteout-handling related code from snapmergepuppy to usbsave to make archpup with a tempfs-mounted rw-layer fully functional.

Tote

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 03:46    Post_subject:  

Hi simargl, thanks for your encouragement. I'm not about to give up, just proceeding painfully slowly....

I managed to create a savefile, it was outside the Arch folder in my partition, so I moved it inside, that seemed logical(?) but I'm not sure if anything is actually being saved to it.

Currently trying to figure out getting wi-fi to work... but I don't want to ask a lot of nooby questions and disrupt the thread. I pick up bits and pieces from reading the other posts.

'I shall endeavour to persevere'. Very Happy
spandey

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 04:21    Post_subject:  

Nice work !! How about moving this thread under Projects as it's not a derivative of any existing Puppy ? It's rather a project by itself.
spandey

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 04:30    Post_subject:  

Please host the iso in some other place as having lot of problems downloading from dropbox.
Keef

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 04:32    Post_subject:  

Glad to say that I'm not getting anymore lock-ups when doing reboot or logout.
Must have been a temporary glitch.
simargl

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 05:37    Post_subject:  

spandey wrote:
Please host the iso in some other place as having lot of problems downloading from dropbox.

See this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/archpup/, now to upload files, and download will be faster.
spandey

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 06:00    Post_subject:  

Thank you so much!!! Please post all the iso's.
Caved

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 14:03    Post_subject: usb wifi  

Hallos,
I am trying to use Archpuppy on my old armada 1700 craptop, seems like my usb dongle doesn't come up in the network tool were the usuall weary 5.3 puppy does load the driver module. It's a Sitecom dongle and in weary it seems to load the rt2870sta driver as far as i can tell.

Am i supposed to load the thing manually? Maybe an idea to atleast add all the networking tools as they are in the official puppy weary? I'l do some testing see if i can get it going...

Have Fun!
Caved
T_Hobbit

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 17:22    Post_subject:  

Pwireless still not working. See networks around but after double click/press connect, no password is asked.
Any change to install another software? Which alternative shall i use from arch repos? Wicd is a huge software with dependencies.

Still an amazing Puppy! Good work!

Edited_time_total
simargl

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 18:42    Post_subject:  

James C wrote:
Just for testing purposes I also did a traditional full install of ArchPup 12.12 on an old P4 test box......... along with Xubuntu, Zenwalk ,Vector and a bunch of Puppy installs.

Still tweaking on it but working pretty well so far.

Very interesting, I've never tried full install. That way you basically have real Arch Linux system minus systemd. Cool

songzi wrote:
wlan0 is not up after archpup is up and running. I am using it on a Thinkpad x230. Its wireless wifi module shall be Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200.
TIA. Like this Archpup very much. Thanks a lot.

T_Hobbit wrote:
Pwireless still not working. Any change to install another software? Which alternative shall i use from arch repos? Wicd is a huge software with dependencies

Perhaps try with frisbee beta2.sfs from this page http://puppylinux.info/topic/archpup. Sorry cant help more. Sad
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) Acer Laptop emachines 2 GB RAM AMD64. franco-/germanophone, +/- anglophone

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2012, 19:53    Post_subject:  

Hi simargl

a/ where are the key maps from? under keyboard layout us_intl, the key have a completely other comportment as usual in all other puppys (all other Puppys have the same, with minimal difference, as you easily can test at ArchBang without to need to install as it is delivered as live system)! It is very bad because only your puplet causes great amount of tipping errors Embarassed

b/ what is with printing on the ArchPup system from other users? on my PC, it is not possible to connect with "localhost" to start cups! and also not possible to use the puppy classic "didiwiki"!

rgds
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 31 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum