Very slow data transfer

Using applications, configuring, problems
bunio14

Very slow data transfer

#1 Post by bunio14 »

Hi,

My first post here and aready rising an issue.

The thing is I have bought HP thinclient T5510, installed Puppy Wary 5.00. This machine works mainly as torrent client with transmission running on it.
I use 16GB SD class 10 card as a hard drive, connected to the USB port via Sandisk card reader.
All working fine, but when it's coming to move the data from Puppy to Windows (either using pureFTPd or connecting USB HDD to the machine directly) it is dramatically slow. Max transfer I receive is up to 1 megabyte per second, so an average 700MB movie takes more than 10 minutes :(

First I thought it's the card but I do believe class 10 is waaay faster. Now it came to me that could be the USB port, most likely this is USB 1.1.
Any possibility (software one) to speed it up? Or maybe there's a different way to move the data between Puppy and Linux - both machines connected to the same router.

I do appreciate any suggestions

Thanks!
Philip

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Does this box have a PCI slot? If so, you could install a USB 2.0 card.

bunio14

#3 Post by bunio14 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Does this box have a PCI slot? If so, you could install a USB 2.0 card.
Yes it does, requires PCI riser but it should not be a problem.
OK, will try that and will let you know if it helped.

Thanks!

Monsie

Very slow data transfer

#4 Post by Monsie »

bunio14,

I find that usb 1.1 is notoriously slow.... regardless of whether one is running Puppy or Windows. In theory under ideal (lab setting) conditions, data transfer rate is 12 mb/second.... but I have never seen anything close to this spec.

Today, I was restoring my save file for Wary Puppy from a backup, and I was only getting a rate of 512 kb/second on average while copying from one flash drive to another.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Don't forget the rates are quoted in BITS not BYTES
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

bunio14

Re: Very slow data transfer

#6 Post by bunio14 »

Monsie wrote:bunio14,

I find that usb 1.1 is notoriously slow.... regardless of whether one is running Puppy or Windows. In theory under ideal (lab setting) conditions, data transfer rate is 12 mb/second.... but I have never seen anything close to this
I've just googled and wikipedia says: data rates of 1.5 Mbit/s (Low-Bandwidth) and 12 Mbit/s (Full-Bandwidth)

So seems mine is low-bandtwith :)

Bought PCI riser and PCI USB card, waiting for the delivery

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Also consider that if you're transferring from one flash memory to another, the second one is recording. Recording to flash memory is much slower than reading from it. It might work better for you to first copy to a hard disk, then copy from the hard disk to the flash destination. Overall it's no faster, but it might get the source flash drive out of the computer sooner.

bunio14

#8 Post by bunio14 »

OK, so the story continues.
After installing the PCI riser and the USB card I was not happy with the results and bought another HP Thinclient. This time it's HP T5720 http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... =c00589808

Seems it has 6 USB 2.0 ports.
I've checked with the puppy System/Hardinfo hardware information and under USB devices my Sandisk USB card reader is recognized as 480,000Mbit/s device and USB version 2,00.
Tried copying something via FTP and the results got slightly better and I've expected BIG change.
Thought that it could be this class 10 SD card so plugged in my USB HDD, mounted and tried copying files to my laptop using FTP - same slow results. I use Total Commander on laptop - if that is important.
Tried copying something between two drives connected to puppy machine so the SD card and the HDD and it seemed pretty fast but with FTP it's sooo slow.

My next idea was that the network card was set into half duplex or something like that. Used ethtool to check

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000001 (1)
Link detected: yes

Looks good to me, why so slow then?

OK, and the small confession now.. It's pretty late here so what I managed to do when the new thinclient arrived was to plug the previous install of puppy into the new machine, so I did not reinstall but everything works just fine. I love puppy - you couldn't do it on Windows :)

Please do not kill me if reinstall is an obvious solution ;)