Fatdog64-611 Final (Updated 12-14-2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#101 Post by Sage »

611:
Now getting list of video cards after pfix=ram,nox but hitting 'SiS' yields 'cancelled' - but the default still works (mesa?).
Still need two hits on scan to get a positive detection on wireless.
Otherwise, OK.
Haven't attempted FULL, yet, was enquiring about deltas?

smokey01

#102 Post by smokey01 »

In /usr/sbin/net-setup.sh at line 299, change the word icon to stock

<input file stock=\"gtk-quit\"></input>

to fix the Exit icon problem.

prehistoric

#103 Post by prehistoric »

kirk wrote:...With Nvidia, Fatdog64's Xorg will use:

PCID 0x008-0x009 --- vesa (No acceleration)
PCID 0x0018-0x0019 --- nv (2d acceleration)
All other PCIDs --- nouveau (2d and 3d acceleration)

Unfortunately this isn't always the best choice. Sometime's nouveau may give you problems and you'll want to try the nv driver. James' new xorgwizard should make this easier. And to switch to the nv driver, if the nouveau kernel module claims your card's PCID, you should delete/blacklist the nouveau module.

For Matrox the vesa driver is the only option included.
The vesa, nv and nouveau drivers are all open-source. What I'm trying to ask is if this is a policy decision on your part, or a new fact of life. Has nVidia stopped supplying proprietary drivers which can be incorporated in Linux kernels through an open-source wrapper? Here's one that might be appropriate.

If this is a project which needs someone else to package it, I suspect there are people with more powerful nVidia cards than mine who would take it on to get the most out of their cards.

kirk

#104 Post by kirk »

prehistoric,

James has made a couple Nvidia pet packages for 610/611 of the proprietary Nvidia driver, they're in the repo. That would be the recommend way to go. Check first that your card is supported by the versions that James has labeled the pet packages with.

Also Nvidia provides a installer in a .run package, though I haven't tried that for a while. If it still works with Fatdog64 you'll need the devx file attached so it can compile it's kernel module.

smokey01,

Thanks for the fix.

prehistoric

#105 Post by prehistoric »

Kirk,

Thanks for clarifying that. I was afraid there was some policy decision of avoiding them in the future. For myself, I have an adequate solution at present with an off-board card from ATI. I won't go back and fight battles with the embedded nVidia graphics unless you need this tested.

You might want to better document the availability of those pets for people who only get to a desktop by using VESA, to let them know this is not a dead end.

smokey01

#106 Post by smokey01 »

I had a bit of a play with the new xorgwizard in FD611 but I could only get nouveau to work.

The nouveau driver works very well so there is no real need for me to change it but I thought I would see what else worked.

My card is a nVidia GeForce GT 220.

When trying any other option, including vesa from xorgwizard, the system locks up and has to be rebooted. I'm sure this will cause some heartache for some. The only way I could recover was to delete the savefile.

All the networking tools, samba, mongoose etc seem to work well. The new unique server ID works well. I tried it with all three YASSM tools and they all worked. The share search in the share folder on the desktop worked particularly well.

These options below didn't work for me.
...With Nvidia, Fatdog64's Xorg will use:

PCID 0x008-0x009 --- vesa (No acceleration)
PCID 0x0018-0x0019 --- nv (2d acceleration)
All other PCIDs --- nouveau (2d and 3d acceleration)
Very well done guys.

kirk

#107 Post by kirk »

smokey01,

To use one of the other Nvidia drivers you'll need to blacklist or delete the nouveau kernel module. Or you might get it to work by booting nomodeset.

jamesbond

#108 Post by jamesbond »

When trying any other option, including vesa from xorgwizard, the system locks up and has to be rebooted. I'm sure this will cause some heartache for some. The only way I could recover was to delete the savefile.
If you want to play with vesa or "nv" (or other non-KMS drivers), make sure that you use turn off KMS first (pass "nomodeset" in the command line).
The new unique server ID works well.
Ah yes, this is a rather un-annonunced change. The default hostname on first boot is now computed off the system's DMI information. So it is still random and is different from machine to machine, but for the same machine it will always be the same. You can and should, of course, override this name when you create a savefile for the first time.
In /usr/sbin/net-setup.sh at line 299, change the word icon to stock

<input file stock=\"gtk-quit\"></input>

to fix the Exit icon problem.
Thanks, fixed for next release.
Booting the kernel.
cp: can't stat '/lib': No such file or directory
I confirm this error, and I confirm that it is harmless. This has been fixed for the next release.
Also Nvidia provides a installer in a .run package, though I haven't tried that for a while. If it still works with Fatdog64 you'll need the devx file attached so it can compile it's kernel module.
It still works but it requires special preparation.
a) boot with "nomodeset" and "pfix=nox"
b) run the installer from console, use the option --ui=none otherwise you get a garbled screen.
c) when offered to install 32-bit compatibility library, say NO! Otherwise you will be very very screwed.
You might want to better document the availability of those pets for people who only get to a desktop by using VESA, to let them know this is not a dead end.
This doesn't really address your concern but I did announce the availability of nvidia drivers on the second post (just below kirk's announcement). The package repository contains nvidia drivers - every release of Fatdog has always comes with the accompanying nvidia and ati drivers. The package repository also comes with "get-nvidia" script to install nvidia drivers directly from the installer.
Probably no ...
On a machine with an fd64save.ext4 file in the base directory of the file system "pfix=ram" does not prevent the save file from being loaded. Sage avoids this only by not having a save file, not because the pfix flag stops loading. "savefile=none" does prevent loading.
pfix=ram is not implemented in Fatdog. It has no effect whatsoever. The only "pfix" stuff implemented in Fatdog 611 is pfix=nox and pfix=xorgwizard (or its combination). Please refer to http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... tions.html.
Unfortunately this isn't always the best choice. Sometime's nouveau may give you problems and you'll want to try the nv driver. James' new xorgwizard should make this easier. And to switch to the nv driver, if the nouveau kernel module claims your card's PCID, you should delete/blacklist the nouveau module.
You can blacklist a module by adding "blacklist=nouveau" on the boot command line, as mentioned in http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... tions.html

Btw, 611 comes with the bigfont installed too so you don't need to install it anymore. Just type "setfont big" or "setfont bbig". 611 also comes with a new blank screen FAQ http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/screen.html that hopefully address most of the common issues. This FAQ is also included in 611 iso.
I compiled mhwaveedit in fatdog 610 to make sure
that mhwaveedit opened up retrovol when I clicked
on the mixer button . It's stripped to reduce size.
611 now comes with mhwaveedit built-in. It will work with LADPSA plugins too. If you want them, get the from the repo, they are called "lib_swh", "lib_caps" or something like that, under Multimedia section.
I checked direct rendering enabled is both versions. The vendor name for driver in 600 is tungsten where as for 610 it's Intel Opensource . I am not sure if both are same company or different.
They are the same. 610 driver is newer, they have probably changed from code name (tungsten) to the official name.
Other difference I noticed was under about:plugins, firefox lists the plugins twice in 610. One refers to /usr/lib where as other to /usr/lib64. But it 600 it refers to only /usr/lib64.
Doesn't happen to me?

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

smokey01

#109 Post by smokey01 »

I have put together a simple 10 page user guide for Fatdog 611.

The purpose of the guide is for those new people trying Fatdog for the very first time.

It answers questions like:
Where can I get it,
What can it do, and
How to use it.

I know it needs a little bit more work but I'm open to some other ideas. One kirk has already identified is blacklisting graphics modules.
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... FatDog.pdf

Enjoy

smokey01

#110 Post by smokey01 »

kirk wrote:smokey01,

To use one of the other Nvidia drivers you'll need to blacklist or delete the nouveau kernel module. Or you might get it to work by booting nomodeset.
kirk, it's been a long time since I have burned either a CD or DVD and booted from it. I usually use VirtualBox or just copy the files accross to the hard drive and edit the menu.lst in grub.

A good way to distribute your distro might be via the multipup method. This way the user only has to select a couple of menu items without any typing.

I tried both nv and vesa using the following command booting from the DVD:

Code: Select all

fatdog nomodeset pfix=xorgwizard savefile=none
They both booted without problems.

The nouveau driver is far superior to the other two as they are produce jerky video when watching hires videos.

I do have a GeForce GT 220 nVidia graphics driver.

I might build the ISO with a graphical grub so you can see if you like it.

Cheers.

Sage

#111 Post by Sage »

Probably no ...
That imposes something of a dilemma for my FULL (which is working, probably better than might've been predicted, vide infra). Fortunately, the speed of development by you guys is so fast that my 610 still doesn't contain personal data. However, in the light of foregoing discussions of video issues & co., should one delete and load 611 or wait till 612?!!
A guide for non-IT folks has to be very welcome - thanks. One of the big problems for neophytes, irregular visitors and those of us approaching senility at an alarming pace, is finding/remembering where all the wisdom is located. The Search function on this Forum only provides a general guide without detailed indexing.

jamesbond

#112 Post by jamesbond »

smokey01 wrote:I have put together a simple 10 page user guide for Fatdog 611.
Thanks smokey01, this should be helpful. I've put a link from Fatdog webpage to this.
That imposes something of a dilemma for my FULL (which is working, probably better than might've been predicted, vide infra)
Glad to hear that :)
However, in the light of foregoing discussions of video issues & co., should one delete and load 611 or wait till 612?!!
Nope, there won't be 612 unless there is there is a major blooper somewhere (it doesn't look like it at this stage). Fatdog minor development usually takes on 4-6 months cycle (500-510-520 and 600-610), preceded by a short beta. Shortly after the final release, if there are enough annoying bugs, you'll get "bugfix" releases (511, 521, 601, 611). Major releases (500, 600, 700) takes years to happen, preceded by a few months of beta testing.

I forgot to say that anyone who have no problems with 610 should stick with 610. Only upgrade 611 for new installations, or if you find problems with 610.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#113 Post by jamesbond »

Openshot SFS 1.4.3 is now available. Please note it has not been fully tested. It also contains blender 2.65 (original binary from blender.org).

gcmartin

#114 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @JamesBond and @Kirk for this effort.

@Smokey01 proposes an idea of interest.Saw his idea for a GRUB/GRUB4DOS/GRUB2 based ISO for multiple graphic cards: this, I would find of interest. I have an nVidia 250 on an SLI motherboard. And, I have another desktop system with an onboard nVidia as well as a laptop with similar chipset.

I would test and provide feedback to assist should you want.

The suggestion of Multipup is interesting too. In fact, JamesBond did us a great favor last year when he created a "Netboot" tool for setting a Multipup ISO up for PCs to boot from his Netboot server subsystem(s). TaZoc improved a couple of his scripts with an additional ability to initiate Netboot setup completely from a terminal command as well as some additional ability in the Netboot UI.

Could have some great benefit for those FATDOG users who either test or run production with FATDOG booting across the LAN from a FATDOG Netboot server.

Here to help
Edited boot-manager options. MultiPUP and other tools may be a part of this which may have some boot-manager dependencies.
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 19 Dec 2012, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

gnomic

using 3g usb stick for internet access

#115 Post by gnomic »

Lately I've been using a 3g usb stick for internet access. However FatDog doesn't seem to know anything about these devices - er, to be precise the system knows the thing is there and mounts the fake Windows CD, but doesn't seem to have any gui tool for simpletons to actually get internet access. Have I missed something, or what needs to be added to the FatDog base system to use 3g? I'm afraid I haven't spent many happy hours under the hood working out what are the relevant config files and so on. Mainly NetworkManager just does it for me in other distros. In fact this seems to be a bit of a Puppy gap if I dare say so, no Puppy I have struck seems to do 3g usb modems out of the box. I await enlightenment, thanks in advance.

smokey01

#116 Post by smokey01 »

Yet Another Dialog (YAD)

Version 0.18.0

jamesbond

Re: using 3g usb stick for internet access

#117 Post by jamesbond »

gnomic wrote:Lately I've been using a 3g usb stick for internet access. However FatDog doesn't seem to know anything about these devices - er, to be precise the system knows the thing is there and mounts the fake Windows CD, but doesn't seem to have any gui tool for simpletons to actually get internet access. Have I missed something, or what needs to be added to the FatDog base system to use 3g? I'm afraid I haven't spent many happy hours under the hood working out what are the relevant config files and so on. Mainly NetworkManager just does it for me in other distros. In fact this seems to be a bit of a Puppy gap if I dare say so, no Puppy I have struck seems to do 3g usb modems out of the box. I await enlightenment, thanks in advance.
Fatdog doesn't support 3g usb dongle because kirk and me don't use one; we don't have the devices for testing; and there have been no volunteers that step up and make that happen, sorry.

Gobbi

#118 Post by Gobbi »

In a future release could the slideshow delay range - from : Menu / Control Panel / Desktop / Wallpaper setter - be extended to a maximum of few more minutes by default :?: Also , an option to apply a minor set of transitions with adjustable interval of a few seconds cold be nice ideea. Kino and Openshot use these transitions and if it's too big for the iso file , it could be a pet in the repository...
Just some ideas ... :oops:

peterw

Wireless Annoyance

#119 Post by peterw »

Hi

I am after advice on what I can do to wireless connect my laptop when using Fatdog64.
My laptop has what is detected as an internal r8180 pci network card and it needs to connect to a hidden network with WPA. This it does with all Puppies (including Lighthouse) but it does not with Fatdog64 600/610/611. Fatdog64 will connect with a rt73usb wireless dongle and so I know that I am doing the right procedure?

The r8180 driver has been in the kernel since 2.6.xx and so that should be the same for all Puppies. I can scan with the r8180 and detect the ESSID in both Network Manager and the wpa supplicant facilities. When I look at events in Terminal it has mentioned WEP as if it is not even going for WPA? Network Manager takes less than a second to decide that it not playing ball. The details are:
wpa_cli -i wlan status
Failed to connect to
wpa_supplicant_wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory.
I have ticked the wpa guii control box in Network Manager when I have used it.

Any advice will be appreciated. I like Fatdog and it ticks most of the boxes for my needs and so I need to overcome this last hurdle to use it easily.

Thanks

smokey01

#120 Post by smokey01 »

peterw,
Is this the way you have tried?

WiFi is a little bit more complicated but Fatdog comes with some good tools to help you out.
Right Click on the WiFi icon on the task bar at the bottom right of the screen.
Click on Scan_Results – this will find available networks
Double-Click on the network you wish to connect to.
Enter PSK/Password
Click Add.
Close the GUI – you should now be connected.