and works fine from command line.
To remove the open with apps from the right click menu, edit
/root/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
Thank you,

Sheldon

Geoffrey

Re: 'lina-lite - version 004

#142 Post by Geoffrey »

sheldonisaac wrote: Can you please explain "install a text editor"? nano is in /usr/bin/
Thank you,

Sheldon
At one point there you say nano is there and next you have leafpad, as far as I know nano isn't installed, leafpad is, in Control Panel > Software, select Default Program Chooser and add leafpad, that should work for you.
Attachments
Screenshot-5.png
(8.84 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Marv

panel configuration puzzle

#143 Post by Marv »

Now running from a very mildly remastered 004. Mostly just patches. Put together an adrive with my office progs, printing necessities, some basic music players, opera and its config, and a fuller xfce4 panel. Runs great. Simple to do with the custom builder. Also done it as a loadable sfs, built with sfs-builder. Runs fine also. Here's the puzzle-perhaps it's just late. It's a layering thing. Running without the adrive, the main SFS defines a good simple xfce panel. Which then gets saved to the savefile. If I then run with an adrive (or a sfs with xfce configuration on board, the save file (basic panel) overlayers the adrive panel and or the supplemental SFS configuration. Running pfix=ram, the adrive (haven't tried the office sfs) loads the full panel just fine. Maybe I'm trying for too much flexibility-or just being fuzzy-. Is there a way to force the adrive/SFS panel config and possibly waltz back and forth here without 2 save files? I'd love to have a loadable/unloadable sfs carry the full panel and be able to revert with an X restart on unload.

Fuzzily, jim
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#144 Post by rg66 »

Thanks elroy!

I really like the way this is going. A core system with puppy sfs an zdrive and only apps in the adrive. I can rename any sfs adrv and it will load or use sfs builder and have a complete system in no time.

Am still seeing issues with panel mount plugin not mounting drives unless previously mounted by thunar/pmount. I thought that had been resolved.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

elroy

#145 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:Thanks elroy!

I really like the way this is going. A core system with puppy sfs an zdrive and only apps in the adrive. I can rename any sfs adrv and it will load or use sfs builder and have a complete system in no time.

Am still seeing issues with panel mount plugin not mounting drives unless previously mounted by thunar/pmount. I thought that had been resolved.
005 will have the panel mount plugin more inline with what 003 had to offer. The 004 panel mount plugin was botched. But glad you like where this is going.

elroy

#146 Post by elroy »

Sage wrote:Amazing! Until your 004, it was difficult to appreciate just how powerful a statement can be made by a small, snappy clean but comprehensive distro. Apart from your obvious skills, el., your ability to listen and understand is evident. Whilst dog+world has disappeared over the horizon into la-la land with their multiGb .iso s, you have proved that raw talent and hard work always wins out.
It's all there! I am stunned (but never speechless!). There was nothing to switch on, not video, not sound, not connection, nada - it was all there at boot up. Other developers should pay careful heed and follow your fine example. Well done.
Wait until 005. It'll be a few kb smaller, and a few bugs will be fixed. As far as talent, don't know if that's the case. Carolina/lina-lite will never win any awards for being an official puppy distro - they're not woof/woof2 builds...they're built by hand. I'm more comfortable doing it that way.

elroy

Re: panel configuration puzzle

#147 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:Now running from a very mildly remastered 004. Mostly just patches. Put together an adrive with my office progs, printing necessities, some basic music players, opera and its config, and a fuller xfce4 panel. Runs great. Simple to do with the custom builder. Also done it as a loadable sfs, built with sfs-builder. Runs fine also. Here's the puzzle-perhaps it's just late. It's a layering thing. Running without the adrive, the main SFS defines a good simple xfce panel. Which then gets saved to the savefile. If I then run with an adrive (or a sfs with xfce configuration on board, the save file (basic panel) overlayers the adrive panel and or the supplemental SFS configuration. Running pfix=ram, the adrive (haven't tried the office sfs) loads the full panel just fine. Maybe I'm trying for too much flexibility-or just being fuzzy-. Is there a way to force the adrive/SFS panel config and possibly waltz back and forth here without 2 save files? I'd love to have a loadable/unloadable sfs carry the full panel and be able to revert with an X restart on unload.

Fuzzily, jim
lol. You've lost me :D If you can figure it out in layman's terms, pm me, and we'll see what we can do.

elroy

#148 Post by elroy »

sheldonisaac wrote:Can you please explain "install a text editor"? nano is in /usr/bin/
Thank you,

Sheldon
nano isn't a part of lina-lite. mp is from the terminal, as is leafpad (in 004). However, the mime-handling isn't correct. You'd have to edit the /usr/loca/bin/defaulttexteditor to something like the following for leafpad to correctly open text files:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec leafpad "$@"
You probably don't want to remove any menu entry to "Open with other application...". Being that lina-lite doesn't include default applications (other than leafpad) you may need this option to correctly handle the mime-types of your installed apps. Being that lina-lite doesn't include default applications, it's up to the end-user to "hook-up" the mime-handling"; in other words, if you install a media player, it's up to you to add the correct code to ensure that the preferred media opens with your chosen app.

EDIT: if you wish for more automation concerning this subject, I'd highly suggest that you use Carolina instead of lina-lite.

Marv

panel mounter

#149 Post by Marv »

elroy wrote:
rg66 wrote:Thanks elroy!

005 will have the panel mount plugin more inline with what 003 had to offer. The 004 panel mount plugin was botched. But glad you like where this is going.
These are the custom commands for the mounter that got lost in the lurch. You can just right click the mounter to get properties and paste them in. I'll try to write a script to reenter them when xfce shuffles panel item numbers.
Custom mount line: Code:
sh -c '[ ! -d %m ] && mkdir -p %m ; mount %d'

Device blacklist example: Code:
/dev/loop0 /dev/loop1 /dev/loop2 /dev/loop3 /dev/loop4 /dev/fd0
put a space before the first /dev in the blacklist. Arrgh!

Edited: Got a script and a pet to cure the mounter blues. Sleep now and some more testing.
Last edited by Marv on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Sage

#150 Post by Sage »

There are aspects of philosophy and culture showing through, and entirely inappropriately in my opinion. Some folks are never satisfied. Give them a minimalist distro that works ootb and they want to make it bigger - what sort of sense is that?! Missing the point!

OK add a browser, but if you need a full suite of music playing and editing, ditto video shouldn't one be installing something bigger like Carolina, Precise, Slacko, Fatdog, or for regular desktop, use something much bigger like Mint?

lina-lite is ideal for running 'live' off a CD, SD or USB stick. Maybe a small file added for basic extra functions. After that, at least for Puppies, pull an old HD out of some roadside junk and do a FULL on that - the world is awash with 20/40/80Gb drives in perfect working order. Even a 5G drive is overkill for some regular Puppies. Furthermore, I don't buy the excuse of having to use shared PCs judging by the tons of ageing machine I am offered daily - mostly in perfect working order, or easily put so. One per distro isn't a dream, it's a reality - pile 'em up one on top of the other, only a few leads to swap for deployment. And you can't blame anyone else for poor choices in ladies if there are complaints from that quarter...

sheldonisaac

#151 Post by sheldonisaac »

elroy wrote:nano isn't a part of lina-lite. mp is from the terminal, as is leafpad (in 004). However, the mime-handling isn't correct. You'd have to edit the /usr/loca/bin/defaulttexteditor to something like the following for leafpad to correctly open text files:

#!/bin/sh
exec leafpad "$@"
Thanks much.

Please see here:

~> which defaulttexteditor 
/usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor

~> more /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor 
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/nano "$@"

~> ls -l /usr/bin/nano
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 158660 2011-11-29 13:10 /usr/bin/nano

You probably don't want to remove any menu entry to "Open with other application...".
Being that lina-lite doesn't include default applications (other than leafpad) you may need this option to correctly handle the mime-types of your installed apps.
Sorry, I didn't phrase it correctly; I certainly don't want to remove that option.
EDIT: if you wish for more automation concerning this subject, I'd highly suggest that you use Carolina instead of lina-lite.
Not sure what you mean: I like your idea of lina-lite , and I like it and how it works.
I realize you intended it for those who like to tinker. If someone will just point me to info on a few of the tinkering techniques, I will be very grateful.

rg66

#152 Post by rg66 »

Added elementary desktop icon theme amongst other things and did a custom rebuild. Booted into my new lite and it was showing the default Nuovo icons. Played around a bit and nothing.

Did another custom build and noticed it wasn't putting the /usr/local/lib/pixmaps folder in the adrive although the theme was there. Added it manually and rebuilt. Booted into my new new lite and the desktop was using the icons but the menu was using the default Nuovo icons. Played around a bit and nothing.

I manually removed the pixmap folder from the main sfs and the desktop was showing the proper icons again but the menu was showing grey square icons. After pulling out what was left of my hair, I manually removed the pixmaps folder and the Nuovo theme from the main sfs and replaced them with elementary. This finally fixed the problem.

For some unknown reason the menu was only using the pixmaps folder from the main sfs. Is this because the pixmaps and theme folders were on the adrive previously? Could this be a custom builder issue? Or is there some config file somewhere that I can't find?

Sorry for the long post.

Edit: After looking at the pictures again, shutdown, find etc....are using the proper icons, only the categories aren't.
Attachments
icons1.jpg
(15.3 KiB) Downloaded 3068 times
icons.jpg
(15.39 KiB) Downloaded 3019 times

Marv

panel-plugin-mount custom command

#153 Post by Marv »

Attached is a pet for further testing. It eliminates the need for a custom mount command in the xfce4 panel mounter plugin. All the custom command did was make mount points for fixed disks in the system. The rules in udev handled the removable storage. It puts a tiny executable script in /root/Startup that makes mount points for all disks listed in fstab at boot. No conflict with the custom command or the pup-volume-monitor as they all check for existing mount points. It should simplify the maintenance of the panel mounter.
Attachments
mnt_creator.pet
Replaces custom command in xfce4 panel mounter plugin
(435 Bytes) Downloaded 721 times

elroy

#154 Post by elroy »

sheldonisaac wrote:I realize you intended it for those who like to tinker. If someone will just point me to info on a few of the tinkering techniques, I will be very grateful.
Sorry, not trying to damper your curiosity. I should have hooked up the leafpad mime-handling in the 1st place. Essentially, if you add an application to lite you'll need to manually add the mime-handling. Once you've added the main applications that you wish to include (pets, sfs files) go into the Control Panel --> Software --> Default Programs Chooser. Some of the fields are pre-filled, but not accurate, because most (if not all) are not included in lite. You'll need to put the ones you wish to use in the appropriate fields. If you choose not to include an app for a particular field, you can erase what's in the edit box for that particular entry.

You can also use the right-click menus' Open With Other Application command to navigate to an app for a particular file type, and make that app the default app for handling that file type.

elroy

Re: panel-plugin-mount custom command

#155 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:Attached is a pet for further testing. It eliminates the need for a custom mount command in the xfce4 panel mounter plugin. All the custom command did was make mount points for fixed disks in the system. The rules in udev handled the removable storage. It puts a tiny executable script in /root/Startup that makes mount points for all disks listed in fstab at boot. No conflict with the custom command or the pup-volume-monitor as they all check for existing mount points. It should simplify the maintenance of the panel mounter.
This is working great for me. I created a new file in /root/.config/xfce4/panel to replace the old xfce4-mount-plugin-9.rc file to make use of Marv's script. It also displays a message box when a device is mounted.
Attachments
xfce4-mount-plugin-9.rc.gz
replacement for file located in /root/.config/xfce4/panel
(306 Bytes) Downloaded 705 times

rg66

uninstall pets

#156 Post by rg66 »

If you're like me and are always adding and removing pets, it can be a bit of a pain to wait for the package manager to update and then have to open the uninstall window.

To relieve my impatience I have created a pet that will open an uninstall window for fast and easy removal of user installed .pet packages. I've also added a few handy buttons. There will be a menu entry in system but creating a desktop shortcut or panel launcher is even better. Made for lina/lite but should work in Saluki (not tested). It even uninstalls itself!

Edit: I've changed the name and added a different icon so not to confuse it with a .pet package.
Attachments
UnPet-0.6.pet
changed name and added new icon
(6.51 KiB) Downloaded 1482 times
Screenshot.png
(41.38 KiB) Downloaded 13685 times
uninstall-packages-05.pet
quickly uninstall user added packages
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 912 times
Last edited by rg66 on Thu 27 Dec 2012, 06:50, edited 2 times in total.

elroy

'lina-lite - version 005 released

#157 Post by elroy »

'lina-lite-005 is now available. Please see the first post on this thread for the download link.

This version of lite contains bug fixes and a few script enhancements to work better with a wider variety of hardware.
It's also smaller than previous versions of lite.

The short range plan for lite is to continue to make it smaller. The long range plan is up in the air, but I've been considering the possibility of making an alternative version of lite down the road that consists of an adrive populated with very small versions of the basic packages found on most distros (browser, text editor, media player, etc.). I've been considering this in order to create a more newbie-friendly light weight puppy that makes use of the xfce window manager. However, I intend to keep lite (sans-packages) separate for those that wish to have a stripped-down base to build upon. But that's putting the cart before the horse. For now I'll be concentrating on making lite smaller while maintaining stability.

As always, suggestions are welcome.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Sage

#158 Post by Sage »

smaller than previous versions of lite.

... continue to make it smaller
Steady on old chap! You're beginning to think like a rational person!
Good luck and thanks a $bn; will try to do as much as my limited It ability allows.

sheldonisaac

Re: 'lina-lite - version 005 released

#159 Post by sheldonisaac »

elroy wrote:'lina-lite-005 is now available. Please see the first post on this thread for the download link.
Happy Holidays everyone!
Got it, works fine.

Thanks much, and best wishes.

Sheldon

mavrothal

Re: 'lina-lite - version 005 released

#160 Post by mavrothal »

elroy wrote:The long range plan is up in the air, but I've been considering the possibility of making an alternative version of lite down the road that consists of an adrive populated with very small versions of the basic packages found on most distros (browser, text editor, media player, etc.). I've been considering this in order to create a more newbie-friendly light weight puppy that makes use of the xfce window manager.
That sounds a lot like saluki-024 :wink:
I'm sure jemimah will be happy to see that project going on too.
It might also help consolidating the repos.

Season greetings
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==