Multisession Puppy LInux CD/DVD use

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
gcmartin

Multisession Puppy LInux CD/DVD use

#1 Post by gcmartin »

This is a carry-over from another discussion
gcmartin wrote:I know that many are unhappy with me because I use LiveCD
Can you use the same feature using a USB or is the DVD thing unique?
Do you use multisession or don't save at all?
Thanks everyone for your comments on LiveCD.

I think your question(s) fall into what advantages or disadvantages exist and where did the LiveCD concept start and why in Puppy?

(Not to bore, but ...) LiveCD became a hit with Knoppix where that distro demonstrated to the world that you could reliably run an OS strictly from CD while viewing and using your HDD for just a "data" device. (One simple way of expressing what Knoppix did for LInux community). This was revolutionary because all of the world's vendors wanted us to use HDDs for everything.

Whether others agree with my following statement or not, but, HDD includes permanent storage devices that behave similarly; namely ATA/ISA/SATA/SCSI/Firewire/FiberChannel/USB/SAS harddrives and memory storage units.

On the other hand, CD/DVD are designed and built differently with a completely difference life-cycle (MTBF). But, its technology embraces something that I believe is very advantageous: WORM.

PUPPY publishes the LIveCD as its architecture and supports it use. This has been of great assistance to me in its operation and in the support that the Pup community provides.

The number 1 use I gain is not just the ability to change an OS by just changing the CD at boot time, but also the fact, that the operational LIveCD is ONLY written to when I deem it appropriate. This reduces opportunity of something going wrong or a virus from distorting or damaging the booted OS. This is a guarantee for me insuring that I know what I am running, and what I consciously save.

In most OSs, we don't have a lot of control over this. Puppy PUBLISHES this as a SUPPORTED media and a proper method of running Puppy. Thus, all PUPs are mandated to provide and support LiveCD as an operational approach to running Puppy. This is a godsend for those of us who need to take advantage of this provision.

Now, it makes it very easy for me to test/retest known scenarios and to insure that when I restart I know what is coming up and when it occurred. I'm not sure how many others of us setup and run LiveCD/LiveDVDs environments with regard to taking advantage of the kinds of failsafes and protections I mention.

Whenever I burn an ISO, I burn it in Multi-session mode. Pburn makes this obvious and easy to do. To have your PETs/SFSs and other applications and services changes preserved over reboots, you can do as I do on "Save to CD" at reboot/poweroff.

I have been running all PUPs this way since I first became excited about this in Puppy. My OS protected on CD/DVD and running in RAM; and my HDDs are just used for data.

In fact, the only PUPs I use in production are on LiveDVD and have SAMBA PETs installed allowing the PC to accomplish everything my Windows7/Vista/XP/2000 PCs do on my LAN(s). Full SAMBA is a very recent feature that resurfaced in Puppyland. Now, when my LiveCD/LiveDVDs boot, they come up running on the LAN with all the same services that the other mentioned PC have. This is a full service environment.

In closing, yes, for booting, HDD is faster, but CD/DVD are NOT THAT MUCH SLOWER!. And, since in Linux there is little need to boot that often, the 1 minute or so to wait for desktop has "little to no" impact on my life.

Hope this helps.
P.S. If you need to write or re-write files or folders on an existing multi-session media, see here.
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 06:49, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Happy that you shared this. I guess some newbies get curious on how one burn the multisession if one don't already have Puppy going.

I remember vaguely the first time I used multisession some 3 years ago?

Used a special burning program for Windows that could do the multisession burning.

But I don't remember the name of the program.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

1. Most often....
I boot Lupu520 from a live CD-RW...
That had a config setting added to a file in the ISO used to burn the CD-RW...
So that the lupusave on the partition on the dedicated [2nd] internal HDD...
Is treated as if it is a lupusave on a Flash Drive...
That uses a lupusave on a Flash Drive.
Then various other changes are made so that:
There is no auto-save DURING THE SESSION ...
And...
I am offered the choice at shutdown "to save or not to save".

2. Hence, the basic Puppy OS files on the CD-RW are secure.
And I get the advantage of the greater speed that results from having the lupusave AND the SFS file both on an internal HDD.
And although the contents of the Linux filesystem inside the lupusave are not secure...
I have various backup copies of that lupusave taken at different points in time.
And I normally choose to NOT SAVE the session.
And if I noticed anything amiss...
I could either power-off, or else shut down without saving.

3. I think I'd use the method you have outlined if it weren't for the reduction in speed.
I do reboot quite often you see.

4. I'd appreciate your assessment/comments related to the above.

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Sylvander, I love such structured way of thinking.

I would love that you made a very detailed how to so newbies can do teh same. Sure a computer savvy person most likely could figure out what you described but unfortunately I am not on that level. And I need to use USB flash instead.

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

Items 1, 2, and 3, [via links] take you to the HOWTO explanations of methods to use.
The file to edit in item 2 is /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown.

I've kept a record in my Puppy Linux thread at various points in time...
Of the various methods I've discovered now and then, for how to do things.
And they tend to build upon the previous things.

Then in a post like the one linked above, I pull them all together.
As a number of links back to the originals.

I hope you are OK clicking on links. :D

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Thanks indeed. Love such!

partsman

multisession puppy

#7 Post by partsman »

hello all I have been using puppy about a year now and i try every puppy iso
i can find and i am convinced that multisession dvd is the best way to run puppy linux ! for me anyway ! i have tried using pupsave config pet and found it still will write some things to the save file when i dont give it premission too ! so been using multisession method ! it works perfect ! and very easy to roll back previous saves ! to each there own ! but i love it ! and think its also great for newcomers ! :D

gcmartin

YES, LIve media remains a viable media for PUPPY OS operatio

#8 Post by gcmartin »

I still use the same DVD-RW and CD-RWs from several years ago. In fact, 2 of my CD-RWs are over 6 years old. For new releases I just erase old before writing new ISO.

Puppy has become so very stable over the years, that its almost non-existent that a lockup can occur. And, since one only saves his session changes at shutdown-reboot times, if anyone knowingly screw a session, they just wont save it. You can then have what I call "production" PCs where there is little to no changes that are done to them and also have test PCs which are for Puppy-Linux-Windows testing. I have found that in Puppyland, there are 3 ISOs which come with pretty much everything I would want and use in a LAN desktop home-office-entertainment environment where there are Windows PCs present too. Lately, all of our LANs has expanded as more and more friends and family have Wifi xPhones and xPads now, so MY needs are for a home network where all PCs share with all other PCs on the home private network.

Live media has proven to be a safe and easy approach for a stable OS while any HDD/USBs are all dedicated to data ONLY! ... NOT for OS files.

Here to help

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: YES, LIve media remains a viable media for PUPPY OS operatio

#9 Post by Flash »

gcmartin wrote:...I have found that in Puppyland, there are 3 ISOs which come with pretty much everything I would want and use in a LAN desktop home-office-entertainment environment where there are Windows PCs present too....
Names! We need names! :D

gcmartin

#10 Post by gcmartin »

Flash wrote:
gcmartin wrote:...I have found that in Puppyland, there are 3 ISOs which come with pretty much everything I would want and use in a LAN desktop home-office-entertainment environment where there are Windows PCs present too....
Names! We need names! :D
For me, these are the 3 running continuous where little to no need to install anything.
  • PhatSlacko
  • LightHouse64 Mariner
  • FATSlacko
  • Puppy528 (w/Playdayz LibreOffice upgrade and 01Micko's SAMBA)
Only items that have even been added are 2 JAVA apps: AngryIP PETs from DPUP5520) for LAN checkings and muCommander (from Pemasu) for side-by-side management of folders.

Edited (2012-12-20): Content inappropriate for this thread's mission of Live media support themes.
Edited (2013-03-12): Added PhatSlacko distro

Finally
ALL 4, of those mentioned, are running via LiveMedia (DVDs/CDs) in RAM.

Hope this is helpful
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 08:20, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Okay, we have names. If you kinow where to find them, would you mind sharing that information too?

jamesbond

#12 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin wrote:... SMB2 functionality in the distro ...
This is now a requirement for file sharing in home network environment? That's news to me. I thought most consumer-grade NAS servers are only SMB1.
As such, on my LAN, I have .... Windows Terminal server ....
Wow ... just wow. None of my geek friends have Windows Terminal Server in their home network. Do you run Active Directory for your home network too?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gcmartin

#13 Post by gcmartin »

With the release of SAMBA V4 they have included the international standard of SMB3.

And, yes, there are LAN devices that use the SMB2 standard for Windows and Mac sharing.

TS and its features for remote login to get a system desktop over the LAN/WAN has been around and in-place for over 12 years. Its built into Win2K, WinXP, Vista, Win7, Win8, 2003, 2008, and versions also exist in some Windows built for embeds. Before that ...

I knew that honoring @Flash's request, this would detract from the thread's support mission. I will retract the info as I feel it being the wrong place for sharing that level of info.

Here to help