Fatdog64-611 Final (Updated 12-14-2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peterw

Wireless Annoyance

#121 Post by peterw »

Hi Smokey01

Thanks for replying so quickly. I have tried your way with the icon in the bottom right hand corner. Unfortunately, it does not work for me. I think this is because the network has a hidden ESSID. I enter its name and the PSK/Password but it does not respond to it. When I plug in the usb dongle there is now two wireless interfaces and I am not sure which one the right hand corner system works with.

If I try the Network Manager from the Control Panel, I can select the wireless interface. I cannot connect with the R8180 pci but I can with the usb dongle.

It seems that the driver for the r8180 card doesn't save the network settings or something like that.

peterw

don570

#122 Post by don570 »

new version of right click package 6.0.8

I should work much better :lol:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82829

Barbol

Re: using 3g usb stick for internet access

#123 Post by Barbol »

jamesbond wrote:
gnomic wrote:Lately I've been using a 3g usb stick for internet access. However FatDog doesn't seem to know anything about these devices - er, to be precise the system knows the thing is there and mounts the fake Windows CD, but doesn't seem to have any gui tool for simpletons to actually get internet access. Have I missed something, or what needs to be added to the FatDog base system to use 3g? I'm afraid I haven't spent many happy hours under the hood working out what are the relevant config files and so on. Mainly NetworkManager just does it for me in other distros. In fact this seems to be a bit of a Puppy gap if I dare say so, no Puppy I have struck seems to do 3g usb modems out of the box. I await enlightenment, thanks in advance.
Fatdog doesn't support 3g usb dongle because kirk and me don't use one; we don't have the devices for testing; and there have been no volunteers that step up and make that happen, sorry.
Hi! I've managed to compile usb_modeswitch from sources in Fatdog 610 (a total achievement for me since it is my second compiling.. :lol: ). Then I could manually modeswitched my USB dongle (a Huawei E1756) and get a succesfull connection to Internet whith pupdial, from which I'm writing this words. I'm pretty happy about this 'cause now I finally can make Fatdog my primary OS, and I have to say I'm loving it, is faster than anything and everything works OOTB!!
But right now I have no automatic recognition of the device as a modem when I plug it (no automatic modeswitching). I guess it could be something regarding udev but have no clue where to look. Perhaps whith a little help (or more than little I presume) I could make a pet from this, any help would be apprecieted :?

Another issue: I'm from a spanish speaking country and although I'm used to having english as the system language, half of my files have accents or the "ñ" character. Then half of my files appear in red as no valid filename.. Is any way I can solve this (without renaming the files of course! :lol: ).

Anyway, a lot of thanks for this great distro!!!!

Barbol

UPDATE: one problem solved! I was linking the wrong file in /usr/libexec (the binary instead of the usb_modeswitch script). I have it working automatically now, just plug in the dongle and udev takes care of it. :D
Now I'll go for the next challenge.. making the pet!!

Gobbi

#124 Post by Gobbi »

I'm running the FD 610 version now and it runs well , still have to make a few more tweaks and install it on a hard drive .
I tested FD 611 , the Firefox iso and checked the md5sum file before burn it on a rewritable DVD .
First , I could see for the first time Zarfy from Display properties in the Control Panel but only inside Virtual Box as in the attachment below ...
I never saw it while booting directly on PC .
I also noticed Seamonkey in the Menu even it was a Firefox version... JWM did not restart and did not make any change to the tray height option... The Menu with Seamonkey and the JWM issue were while running on PC from DVD .
Then I wanted to run xorgwizard so I inserted pfix=xorgwizard from the bootline , it gave me a window with options , but after choosing a driver : error , no changes . The same thing running xorgwizard from Terminal only that after choosing an option I got the message seen in the attachment .
if this happens only on my machine then is not a big issue , but if not then maybe this post would help...
I did't find the missing closing parethesis ( I guess it was that ) in the redirected file .
Attachments
new xorgwizard.png
xorgwizard in terminal
(153.52 KiB) Downloaded 1311 times
Last edited by Gobbi on Fri 21 Dec 2012, 00:32, edited 2 times in total.

don570

red filenames

#125 Post by don570 »

Another issue: I'm from a spanish speaking country and although I'm used to having english as the system language, half of my files have accents or the "ñ" character. Then half of my files appear in red as no valid filename.. Is any way I can solve this (without renaming the files of course! ).
I think this problem depends on the format of the hard disk.

If it is a hard disk format that linux likes like EXT2 EXT3 EXT4
then you won't have this problem. :wink:

The reason why I believe this is true --> I had a USB stick
(formated as FAT32) and it contained files with 'red' filenames.
It was caused by going to French language websites
and then saving the website to the USB disk.

Barbol

usb_modeswitch for fatdog!

#126 Post by Barbol »

With much learning and some hours could finish the usb_modeswitch package. I tried it on three different computers and is working well, in all cases got a successful Internet connection with pupdial. I'm uploading the pet package for testing.. Hope it works fine!! :)
Made one for fatdog 500 series too..

UPDATE:The official usb-modeswitch package is now available in fatdog's pet repository. Look here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/600/
Attachments
usb_modeswitch_fd600-1.2.5.pet
(99.77 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
usb_modeswitch_fd500-1.2.5.pet
(121.86 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
Last edited by Barbol on Sun 30 Dec 2012, 22:00, edited 2 times in total.

Barbol

#127 Post by Barbol »

I think this problem depends on the format of the hard disk.

If it is a hard disk format that linux likes like EXT2 EXT3 EXT4
then you won't have this problem.
don570, thanks for the answer!
After your comments I look closely which files had wrong filenames, and I think the problem are files saved in windows (XP particularly). I never had this trouble when I was using ubuntu, or racy whith the spanish langpack.. But I remember this happened too in puppy431. Could it be something regarding to the character encoding?
Thanks again.

Barbol

jamesbond

#128 Post by jamesbond »

Barbol,

Thanks for the modeswitch pet. I hope it is useful for those who need to use that 3G dongles.

As for encoding thing, try to use "pkeys=es" on the boot command line and see if it helps. Make sure you have a font that can display Spanish characters. This should help if you access FAT partition. It has the side-effect that your console keyboard mapping is changed to spanish keyboard too.

Merry Christmas everyone Image

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Terryphi

#129 Post by Terryphi »

I have just got around to trying Fatdog64 611 on my new laptop. Thanks guys.

I could not resist the urge to try creating a 64bit version of Opera SFS for it. On a quick test using the firefox version it seems OK. However, there is one problem. For the flashplugin to work Opera needs these Mozilla libraries and looks for them in /usr/lib64 ( in 64 bit version):

libnspr4.so
libnss3.so
libnssutil3.so
libplc4.so
libplds4.so
libsmime3.so
libsll3.so

Most symlinks are present but Fatdog64_611 firefox does not have these symlinks in /usr/lib64 pointing to /usr/lib64/firefox:

libnssutil3.so
lbsll3.so

It is necessary to create these symlinks manually for Opera. Having made these changes Opera now finds the Flash plugin and it works as expected. However, there are 32 bit and 64 bit versions of libflashplayer.so in Fatdog64.

Opera Tools>Advanced>Plug-ins shows:

32 bit version at /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
and
64 bit version at /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

This does not appear to cause a problem but anyway I chose to disable the 32 bit version in Opera Plugins settings.

I have not checked the Seamonkey version but I assume a similar problem may exist there.

Enjoy the holiday, whatever your beliefs, and have a peaceful 2013.
Last edited by Terryphi on Mon 24 Feb 2014, 14:03, edited 2 times in total.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

kirk

#130 Post by kirk »

Most symlinks are present but Fatdog64_611 firefox does not have these symlinks in /usr/lib64 pointing to /usr/lib64/firefox:

libnssutil3.so
lbsll3.so
Thanks, I'll include those in the next release.
However, there are 32 bit and 64 bit versions of libflashplayer.so in Fatdog64.

Opera Tools>Advanced>Plug-ins shows:

32 bit version at /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
and
64 bit version at /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
In Fatdog64 /usr/lib is bind mounted on /usr/lib64. There is just one Flash player plugin.

Terryphi

#131 Post by Terryphi »

kirk wrote:
In Fatdog64 /usr/lib is bind mounted on /usr/lib64. There is just one Flash player plugin.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Aung

#132 Post by Aung »

Thanks Bardol, waited a long time for a 3G pet. I can get a connection to my ISP but connection dies when I open Opera or Seamonkey, still on doze.

--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Sun Dec 23 15:56:35 2012
--> Pid of pppd: 9174
--> Using interface ppp0
--> Authentication (CHAP) started
--> Authentication (CHAP) successful
--> Disconnecting at Sun Dec 23 15:56:37 2012
--> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)

This is from var/log/messages

Protocol-Reject for 'Compression Control Protocol' (0x80fd) received
Modem hangup
Connection terminated.

My modem shows up twice, but on probing ttyUSB0 it dont show up and didnt connect.
I coppied pupdial from Slacko and was able to force it to use ttyUSB2 and it connects.
But then dies when I open a browser.

ttyUSB0<Info>: Speed 9600; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"
ttyUSB2<Info>: Speed 9600; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"

Aung

Barbol

#133 Post by Barbol »

As for encoding thing, try to use "pkeys=es" on the boot command line and see if it helps. Make sure you have a font that can display Spanish characters. This should help if you access FAT partition. It has the side-effect that your console keyboard mapping is changed to spanish keyboard too.
jamesbond,

Thanks for the answer, I've tried booting whit "pkeys=es" but the "wrong" filenames still appeared in red, besides my laptop's has an english keyboard so it was pretty unconfortable.. I guess I could live with some red files in Rox's windows..

Aung,

Sorry, I don't know what could be happening with pupdial, I'm not an expert on the area, just a regular and curious user.. :wink:
But here is something you could try:
I found that the CLI function of sakis3g works on fatdog if you have the fd64-devx_610.sfs installed (it is a script for 3G connections with many dependencies and most of them are provided with the devx sfs, but sadly the interactive GUI didn't work).
You can download it from here (just the binary free version, the full one is not required if you already have installed the usb_modeswitch pet):
http://www.sakis3g.org/

Once unpacked it's a single file script, which I moved to /root/my-applications/bin so it be in the executable PATH.
Before it is useful there is still one thing more to do: you have to rename or remove the file /bin/chat (which is a symlink to busybox) so that the full version of chat in the sfs can be invoked by sakis3g:

Code: Select all

mv /bin/chat /bin/chat_old
(you can restore it later if you unload the devx.sfs)

Now it should be functioning, in my case I get succesfull connection with the line:

sakis3g connect OTHER="USBMODEM" USBMODEM="12d1:1001" APN="internet" APN_USER="internet" APN_PASS="internet" --pppd -d
where you have to replace "internet" for your own ISP's requirements and the xxxx:xxxx number with the corresponding one to your dongle (can get it with lsusb after the device is switched). The "--pppd" option is for using pppd instead of wvdial, which in my case was vital, and "-d" is just for debugging. It will output some "expr: syntax error" but still works.
For what I red sakis3g has very good reviews and a lot of options, so I think it worth a try.
Hope it works this time!

Merry Christmas!! :D

Barbol
Last edited by Barbol on Mon 24 Dec 2012, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

Gobbi

#134 Post by Gobbi »

Merry Christmas to All :!: :D

Aung

#135 Post by Aung »

Hi, Barbol, This is what gets me the least error messages. Could you build me a command line and I will give it one more try.

sakis3gww connect USBINTERFACE="1" (or "0") OTHER="USBMODEM" USBMODEM="12d1:14ac" APN="VirginBroadband" APN_USER="*99#" APN_PASS="nill" --pppd -d

from xterm also nothing is being placed in reslov.conf

[usb_sysfsdir ] Device 12d1:14ac sysfs dir found: /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2/2-6
[usb_sysfsdir_int ] Interface #1 sysfs dir is: /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2/2-6/2-6:1.1
[usb_sysfs_locate_tty] Failed to retrieve sysfs tty for interface #1.
[modem_usb_locate_tty] Driver cdc_ether failed to create a tty node for interface #1 of device 12d1:14ac.

from var/log Your mode switch works. Is it ok for the modem to show up on 3 'ports' Should it be loading cdc_ether ? I always thought that ethernet was cable networking.

kernel: USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
user.info kernel: option 2-6:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
user.info kernel: usb 2-6: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
user.info kernel: option 2-6:1.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
user.info kernel: usb 2-6: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
user.info kernel: option 2-6:1.4: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
user.info kernel: usb 2-6: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
user.info kernel: cdc_ether 2-6:1.1: wwan0: register 'cdc_ether' at usb-0000:00:13.2-6, Mobile Broadband Network Device, 02:50:f3:00:00:00
user.info kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
syslog.notice root: usb_modeswitch: switched to 12d1:14ac on 002/003

Barbol

#136 Post by Barbol »

Hi, Aung. The thing seems to be switching correctly. The three ttyUSB ports are made by the option module, and wwan0 is made by cdc_ether, a module for ethernet connections through USB if I'm not wrong. I think it all looks normal.
I'm not sure about the "APN_USER="*99#". Is that right?? It is more like the dialing number..
It will output some "expr: syntax error" but still works.
sakis3g works far better with the full version "expr" from coreutils. I found it in the coreutils-8.13.tar.bz2 package from the fatdog repository but I'm not sure which is the best way of adding it to fatdog, I'm new to this compiling thing (compiling and installing the whole pckg doesn't look good, maybe someone in the forum could instruct the proper way).
This is what I did: downloaded and unpack the pckg to a tmp directory, then configure and compile it with new2dir. After that I copied the new expr binary to /bin (removing or renaming the link to busybox as same as withh chat).
Once done sakis works with no errors, even the interactive function is running with the line:

sakis3g --iterm --pppd
You can explore the "more options menu" for a solution. If still doesn't work can try unloading the drivers with "rmmod cdc_ether ; rmmod option", an let sakis load the appropriate ones. Or you can go back to CLI and force it to use specifics module and port with something like:

# sakis3g connect USBINTERFACE="0" MODEM="OTHER" OTHER="CUSTOM_TTY" CUSTOM_TTY="/dev/ttyUSB0" USBDRIVER="option" APN="VirginBroadband" APN_USER="xxxxx" APN_PASS="xxxxx" --pppd -d
but I'm not sure if your modem could connect through ttyUSBx, or it needs to use wwan0 (never had one of those with ether port).
Good luck!! :)

Barbol

Aung

#137 Post by Aung »

Barbol, I have given up. Thanks for all your help. With 'sakis3g --iterm --pppd' I had to link expr, after doing the compile bit, to /bin and /usr/bin and rub out the links to busybox . (Had to get new2dir from slacko, anyhow got through it) Could get as far as No. 4, custom APN, but then 'cannot connect' in red writing. Thats as far as wvdial and ppp -d gets also. It does not do its thing in resolv.conf and does not make a 'modem' folder in dev. I use Slacko 5.3.3 live cd for internet banking so I have now done a frugal of Slacko for my internet. I feel like its owning a V12 Jag and having the road tax mafia making me take out 6 spark plugs to drive around. I was using doze xp for internet because Virgin broadband has a good dashboard with a up and down load speed graph, handy to look at when nothing is happening, no data coming in. Also have another problem with using doze. Had to go to msdog to get a direct x file for this mobo and since then my logitech trackball develops bad habits and becomes unusable and I have to clear the bios
and DMI pool and reload bios to teach it some manners. I have found its mainly the DMI pool thats the culprit but have to do the bios rewrite also to be able to clear the DMI pool.

rerwin

3G modem support

#138 Post by rerwin »

Gobbi, Barbol, Aung, jamesbond,
Smokey01 has just alerted me to your efforts with 3G modems. Congratulations on creating an executable usb_modeswitch for fatdog64. As for automatic recognition of the modems, I will look into the details of that function and supply, if necessary, any other components that are needed.

Although I have an Athon64 PC, I have yet to install the latest fatdog. Once I do that, I can sort things out. Please give me a few days, though.
Richard

Barbol

#139 Post by Barbol »

rerwin, that's great news! I'm glad to hear that fatgod64 will have a proper 3G modem support now.. :D

As for Aung's connection problem, I red repeatedly that Virgin Broadband require PAP authentication rather than CHAP, and this could be solved by adding the line:

-chap

in the file /etc/ppp/options. This could be part of the solution..
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 910#297910

Barbol
Last edited by Barbol on Thu 27 Dec 2012, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

Terryphi

#140 Post by Terryphi »

Has anyone managed to get any version of Filezilla running on Fatdog64 ?