Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 06:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
encrypted precisesave
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
macsdoubt

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012, 17:22    Post subject:  encrypted precisesave
Subject description: kernel panic saving to flash drive

This is my first post, so before I (tentatively) report what I think is a major bug, I want to say thanks to all Puppy developers for all your work. I've been using Puppy since version 2 and I have never found any other version of Linux to match it for simplicity and user-friendliness. But ...

Encrypted precisesave seems to be broken. I get the same results on two different machines, an HP Pavilion desktop and a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

First-time saving to a flash drive with heavy encryption causes a kernel panic on reboot when precisesave_crypta starts to load. I've tried 3 different flash drives. And I know it's not the CDs I've burned because all work perfectly if I create an unencrypted precisesave file. (I've had the same results on every version of Precise 5.4 including 5.4.3.)

Saving to a hard disk with heavy encryption gives a different result. The desktop loads, but images do not. Precise says it cannot recognize .jpg files. It also doesn't remember any settings.

If this is a bug, anyone should be able to reproduce it on any machine that can handle Precise Puppy. The kernel panic produces several lines of code I don't understand. I cannot do a screenshot with a frozen computer.

I think Slacko 5.3 had this problem too, if I remember correctly. Then, I just chucked the CD in the bin and went back to Lupu. I don't want to give up on Precise, though, because I really like it. However, being able to encrypt my root directory is essential for me, especially with a flash drive.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if anyone trying Puppy Linux for the first time experiences this problem they will not be impressed.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012, 19:26    Post subject:  

Encryption works for me in Precise. But you have to follow the instructions and format the save file as ext2.
macsdoubt

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec 2012, 02:19    Post subject: encrypted precisesave  

I neglected to mention in my original post that I've been using encrypted pupsave files since Puppy 3, I've followed the procedure many times and I always do choose the ext2 format.

So now I am really puzzled, because I keep getting the same result with Precise but not with Racy or Lupu. Both my computers consistently produce similar results.
watchdog

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2013, 07:18    Post subject: Precise encrypted savefile bug  

I reported such a bug in the thread of Precise 5.4:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81672&start=60

I thought the problem was the wrong installation of mesa. I suggest you first to create an encrypted savefile without any installation. Then reboot and try installing your programs.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: