'lina-lite - version 005

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

Re: 'lina-lite - version 005 released

#161 Post by Marv »

elroy wrote:'lina-lite-005 is now available. Please see the first post on this thread for the download link.
Hi elroy,

Got it ok and posting from it with my std office+ sfs. Opened it up and walked around inside a bit. It looks tight and sound. Runs that way too! Only changes I made are purely personal preference things. Having launchers for the pkg manager and the cpanel on the desktop fits 'lina well I think. My turn to be buried in snow :shock:

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Sage

#162 Post by Sage »

Works just fine, thanks. Subjective, but every time you reduce the resource requirement it seems faster.

Billtoo

'lina-lite - version 005

#163 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install of linalite 005 to my emachines D620
laptop.
I added firefox and several other pets from ppm, and added vlc 2.0.5
and some other stuff.
It's working well.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(90.01 KiB) Downloaded 2436 times

James C

#164 Post by James C »

Since smaller is good in an operating system for older hardware.......manual frugal install on my old Athlon XP box.Everything was working ootb, added a few pets and no problems yet.Looking good.

elroy

custom-builder-10

#165 Post by elroy »

I've added a new version of the custom-builder to the Carolina repository. It now gives you the option of whether or not you'd like to save your xfce settings, and also fixes a couple bugs.

In previous versions, when asked if you'd like to save your desktop icons, whether or not you chose yes or no it would save them. Also in previous versions, when asked if you'd like to save your personal settings, whether or not you chose yes or no the save personal settings dialog would appear. Both of these should now work as expected.

Sage

#166 Post by Sage »

Billtoo : no need of humour transplants amongst our Commonwealth friends! They've just been repeating FT again on TV; one of the most popular series ever. I know they've introduced a subscription service to iPlayer for foreigners, but some stuff may now be available without charge in N America? Not sure about 4OD, demand5 and ITVPlayer? Appreciate your advice on these, please, Bill.

Billtoo

#167 Post by Billtoo »

Sage wrote:Billtoo : no need of humour transplants amongst our Commonwealth friends! They've just been repeating FT again on TV; one of the most popular series ever. I know they've introduced a subscription service to iPlayer for foreigners, but some stuff may now be available without charge in N America? Not sure about 4OD, demand5 and ITVPlayer? Appreciate your advice on these, please, Bill.
I bought a 3 dvd set named "Fawlty Towers the complete collection" about 10 years ago, it has interviews with the main characters as an extra feature + all 12 of the episodes.
I watch them again every now and then :)
I think some BBC radio is available free here, I don't know if subscriptions are available for TV yet.

EDIT:I can listen to the radio stations but TV is a no go.
Attachments
bbcradio.jpg
(48.19 KiB) Downloaded 1044 times
bbciplayertv.jpg
(28.28 KiB) Downloaded 1066 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 21 Dec 2012, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

long range plans & xfce question

#168 Post by mikeslr »

[quote="elroy"]
The long range plan is up in the air, but I've been considering the possibility of making an alternative version of lite down the road that consists of an adrive populated with very small versions of the basic packages found on most distros (browser, text editor, media player, etc.). I've been considering this in order to create a more newbie-friendly light weight puppy that makes use of the xfce window manager. However, I intend to keep lite (sans-packages) separate for those that wish to have a stripped-down base to build upon.

2 lite versions? How about a "bdrive" instead? with the ISO containing both. Noobs would have lite apps on bootup. Intermediate users could either --when installing to a 'lina-lite folder-- not include it, or delete it after bootup.With perhaps some modification of Custom Builder to designate whether the "drive" being built is to be adrive or bdrive?
Or alternative to the latter, what's the current statuses of Pet2SFS & SFS-combiner, or such? as each of us have our favorite applications that we'll want regardless of which Pup we boot into.
And a second version would pose a naming problem as there isn't any neat word for "in between" lite and populated. Perhaps if you renamed 'lina-lite to "Florida" you could could call an in-between version "Georgia".

I really do like the "bare-bones" functionality of 'lina-lite. It's a great foundation for building just what you want, especially if you have multiple computers for multiple purposes, such as a desktop for general purposes at home and a laptop for "lite" use while away.

Edit: A break for lunch had two effects. I could concentrate on the issue rather than typing. And an adequate supply of sugar was returned to my cerebral cortex. If lina-lite can boot to desktop without adrive, and geany (perhaps a basic version --who would complain?) were included in the "core," the default adrive could consist of small applications. Would an intermediate version of lina be needed?

Separate issue regarding what to include when building an adrive: My apologies for not having followed developments closely, or failing memory. as the following may be well known to those who did or don't have that condition. As I understand it, the window-manager, Xfce, is included in the "core." Is that now xfce-4.8 or already 4.10? And which, if any of the Xfce pets --such as xfce-notify-- are NOT included in the core so that if their functions were desired they'd have to be included in adrive or installed? Lastly, are there any Xfce pets available from the repo which SHOULD NOT be used if the "core" includes 4.8, or 4.10?

mikesLr

mikeslr

Alternate structures for 'lina --e.g. jwm + rox

#169 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again,

Don't get me wrong. Xfce is great. Perhaps the most customizable window-manager I've used, yet not really a resource hog. And getting used to Thunar by a windows emigrant would take less of a learning curve than rox. But i noticed the repo has pets for rox, jwm and icewm. I would think a really "lean and mean" lina could utilize rox and jwm rendering the inclusion of xfce & Thunar superfluous.
How would someone remove Xfce?
I also noticed that absent from the repo were fbpanel and tint2. The former, if added to a jwm+rox combo could provide some degree of customizability without requiring the learning curve Xfce involves and, perhaps, the overhead it uses. Perhaps tint2 as well, but I'm not that familiar with it.
But, of course, the result would not be much different from how I customize non-xfce Pups except, of course, 'lina would start out minimal and have Custom Builder.

Perhaps lunch has resulted in a "sugar-high."

mikesLr

elroy

Re: long range plans & xfce question

#170 Post by elroy »

mikeslr wrote:2 lite versions? How about a "bdrive" instead? with the ISO containing both. Noobs would have lite apps on bootup. Intermediate users could either --when installing to a 'lina-lite folder-- not include it, or delete it after bootup.With perhaps some modification of Custom Builder to designate whether the "drive" being built is to be adrive or bdrive?
Or alternative to the latter, what's the current statuses of Pet2SFS & SFS-combiner, or such? as each of us have our favorite applications that we'll want regardless of which Pup we boot into.
And a second version would pose a naming problem as there isn't any neat word for "in between" lite and populated. Perhaps if you renamed 'lina-lite to "Florida" you could could call an in-between version "Georgia".
Not quite two versions of lite, more like a separate distro based on lite that has pre-installed, small applications. Like I said, that's getting the cart before the horse at present.
mikeslr wrote:If lina-lite can boot to desktop without adrive, and geany (perhaps a basic version --who would complain?) were included in the "core," the default adrive could consist of small applications. Would an intermediate version of lina be needed?
I've added leafpad to the current lite adrive because some had expressed interest in a text editor that wasn't console based. The reason I put it on the adrive is so that a user can easily get rid of it entirely or replace it with their favorite text editor, for example, geany, or perhaps even vim.

Yes, it'd be easy for a user of lite to create what I was describing for themselves. My interest in doing the build for newer users would be to make a distro based on lite that would be user friendly from the get-go. Essentially Carolina, but on a much smaller scale. For some, lite may not be accessible as-is; while Carolina would be a great choice for them in that case, some users may not have the space or resources to enjoy it. Also, a lite-based distro would have a non-pae kernel standard. That would appeal to some, also. But I would keep the original lite going for those that have the desire to fully customize their default apps, and have the know-how to do so.
mikeslr wrote:Separate issue regarding what to include when building an adrive: My apologies for not having followed developments closely, or failing memory. as the following may be well known to those who did or don't have that condition. As I understand it, the window-manager, Xfce, is included in the "core." Is that now xfce-4.8 or already 4.10? And which, if any of the Xfce pets --such as xfce-notify-- are NOT included in the core so that if their functions were desired they'd have to be included in adrive or installed? Lastly, are there any Xfce pets available from the repo which SHOULD NOT be used if the "core" includes 4.8, or 4.10?
Both lina-lite (and Carolina) use only xfce-4.10. You need not included any xfce packages for either, as everything relating to xfce-4.10 is on the core sfs. The xfce pets will remain in the repo for backward compatibility with earlier versions.
Last edited by elroy on Fri 21 Dec 2012, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

elroy

Re: Alternate structures for 'lina --e.g. jwm + rox

#171 Post by elroy »

mikeslr wrote:Hi again,

Don't get me wrong. Xfce is great. Perhaps the most customizable window-manager I've used, yet not really a resource hog. And getting used to Thunar by a windows emigrant would take less of a learning curve than rox. But i noticed the repo has pets for rox, jwm and icewm. I would think a really "lean and mean" lina could utilize rox and jwm rendering the inclusion of xfce & Thunar superfluous.
How would someone remove Xfce?
I also noticed that absent from the repo were fbpanel and tint2. The former, if added to a jwm+rox combo could provide some degree of customizability without requiring the learning curve Xfce involves and, perhaps, the overhead it uses. Perhaps tint2 as well, but I'm not that familiar with it.
But, of course, the result would not be much different from how I customize non-xfce Pups except, of course, 'lina would start out minimal and have Custom Builder.
While jwm is certainly lighter, it won't be supported, although you're more than welcome to modify your own build to incorporate it. There are posts on the Saluki forum that describe how to go about using it with Saluki - the same process should also work for lina-lite. Our goal from the start, both in Carolina and lite, is to work with the xfce window manager exclusively. Yes, it is more resource intensive than jwm, but if that were the only criteria we'd have used the evilWM.

Marv

'lina-lite core

#172 Post by Marv »

Two of the reasons 'lina works so well is that the core is just that, a solid core AND the firm focus on making the most out of xfce and thunar. As an openbox/wbar/tint refugee, I love small, but the flexibility and proven growth path of xfce has overcome that zealotry. Nuff rant.

What about packaging a couple of well rolled sfs packages with 'lina as distributed if you want to widen the appeal. The sfs format would let a new user try them out very quickly and keep what fit them best. Bring the desktop dyad up to a triad with SFS Loader. Maybe packaged as a basic browse/edit/print sfs, a light office (abiword, gnumeric, foxit) sfs, and a music sfs. All kept well sub-Carolina so they play well on machines of moderate means.

Just rambling. Thanks for the custom-builder fixes. Saves some editing before squashing.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

Re: 'lina-lite core

#173 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:Two of the reasons 'lina works so well is that the core is just that, a solid core AND the firm focus on making the most out of xfce and thunar. As an openbox/wbar/tint refugee, I love small, but the flexibility and proven growth path of xfce has overcome that zealotry. Nuff rant.

What about packaging a couple of well rolled sfs packages with 'lina as distributed if you want to widen the appeal. The sfs format would let a new user try them out very quickly and keep what fit them best. Bring the desktop dyad up to a triad with SFS Loader. Maybe packaged as a basic browse/edit/print sfs, a light office (abiword, gnumeric, foxit) sfs, and a music sfs. All kept well sub-Carolina so they play well on machines of moderate means.

Just rambling. Thanks for the custom-builder fixes. Saves some editing before squashing.
Now that's a great idea. It'd be easy to maintain, too.

Sage

#174 Post by Sage »

Thanks for that, Bill. Yes, there are still those nasty capitalist copyright issues with graphic content, but most audio copyright is vested in Auntie by definition, even though they buy in 'from trade' now. For ardent fans, and, let's face it, despite the appalling recent fiaschi in management, still the best broadcasting in the world bar none, I believe there is a TV N. America subscription service but have no idea how much or how it works. At least, that is what we have been told, but knowing that lot they may not have implemented it yet - that's what I was asking! Things are changing.

As for -lina-lite, I am wondering whether even the seasoned correspondent, mike, has missed one of the outstanding values of a very lightweight Puppy - troubleshooting from a liveCD ! The other major diagnosis distros have lost the plot with their DVD offerings taking hours to load on 'bent' machines, if at all. No such problems with Puppies until recently. When fixing "my computer's broken again" 'dozey boxes, the less time I spend watching or nursing a boot up, the happier I and my client will be. -l-lite reverses those recent trends for which I am very grateful to El el and supporters in this thread.

elroy

#175 Post by elroy »

I noticed that I had neglected to make the kernel sources and headers available for lina-lite's kernel. If you need them, they can be downloaded from here.

elroy

custom themes

#176 Post by elroy »

Geoffrey has posted a pet that enables you to create custom themes for xfce. This has potential, certainly for lina-lite. If you're interested in checking it out, you can find the download here.

elroy

Re: 'lina-lite - version 005 released

#177 Post by elroy »

mavrothal wrote:
elroy wrote:The long range plan is up in the air, but I've been considering the possibility of making an alternative version of lite down the road that consists of an adrive populated with very small versions of the basic packages found on most distros (browser, text editor, media player, etc.). I've been considering this in order to create a more newbie-friendly light weight puppy that makes use of the xfce window manager.
That sounds a lot like saluki-024 :wink:
I'm sure jemimah will be happy to see that project going on too.
It might also help consolidating the repos.
Certainly what I've described contains some of the same goals as jemimah had for Saluki, but that shouldn't be too much of a surprise considering that we chose Saluki to base Carolina/lite off of. And if others would like to think of Carolina or lina-lite as Saluki-024 I have no control of that. However, there have been too many changes on the core level for that to be the case.

Combining the repos isn't practical at this point due to that fact. While we've incorporated much of Saluki's repo in our own, and while many of the new pets/sfs's added to the carolina repo should work reasonably well on Saluki, we did have to change a number of the pets in order for them to work correctly with Carolina/lite. And as time goes on the distinction between the two may become more severe. Unless Saluki had a serious update, it won't be too long before there are too many differences between the two builds to assure 100% compatibility. I'd currently put the percentage of comparability in the mid 90% range.

I'm a very big fan of Saluki, but I've chosen this route in order to keep those ideas alive. Without doing so, assuming jemimah's continued absence, there's no hope in Saluki moving forward from it's 023 state of being. And in respect of jemimah, I don't feel that I have the authority to add to her repo and use it to my whim for my own build. That's why I made the two be separate. Chances are that jemimah will probably not return to developing Saluki. If history is correct, if she does show up at all, it'll be with a fresh project. But if she does choose to return to Saluki, I'd prefer to leave it as is for her to continue.

EDIT: I was in the process of making a saluki-023-b build, and had it half finished, But I've decided to abandon it. It'd be counter-productive to Carolina/lite development; if a user wishes to continue with what Saluki had to offer and keep moving forward, they can try one of the two.

Marv

'lina-lite-005

#178 Post by Marv »

elroy said:
EDIT: I was in the process of making a saluki-023-b build, and had it half finished, But I've decided to abandon it. It'd be counter-productive to Carolina/lite development; if a user wishes to continue with what Saluki had to offer and keep moving forward, they can try one of the two.
Good, two seem like plenty to maintain! Along those lines I've been working on my opera+basics sfs and finally got the processor load to be the same with opera on supplemental sfs or adrive vs in the main sfs (frugal install, pfix=copy) or installed by pet to the savefile. Remember, I'm a pentium M guy. I really want the basic browser config to reside on the supplemental drive so I only have to set it up once. The key was stripping ALL the caches, flavicons, and mail from there (supplemental drive). Opera then creates pretty much everything it thrashes on the savefile...in RAM. No symlinks requred and opera cleans them on exit. So far cpu use seems equal in both modes. Final hurdle overcome for me. Supplemental SFS now trumps remastering.

Edited 12/28/2012: Carrying on with the sfs rolling while building out the Dell D610 for a new home. Amazingly, using pmusic ( I used v3.07), ogle, ffmpeg, streamripper and lame ( I don't always carry it in the base) it gives quite a solid cd/dvd/streaming audio with playlists package. ... for 2.7Mb.

Just for reference I did run the full Carolina on this machine, it is my sole Dothan pentium M, and I'd say it's a bit much for this class machine. Some fairly random lockups and behavior I just don't see with 'lina on them. Not software related IMHO, just pushing the old dears to hard. 'lina, even with a 30Mbish officestuff + opera + pidgin sfs and the small music sfs on board just flies right along. One size doesn't fit all, but two seem to.

Cheers,
Last edited by Marv on Sat 29 Dec 2012, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

dennis-slacko531

Anyone using Psensor

#179 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Hi:

Psensor Setup went well...I think. I answered YES to everything but one (2nd option seemed skipable). I've got a used PC just bought and really find Lina-lite 005 most excellent!

I remember using Psensor in another Linux & another PC and had similar yet only brief initial results issues. This time out I just can't get it to show me any temps. It's been running one hour. I made only a few changes to the output time preferences. They read 6...3...10 in vertical order (screenshot may be hard to see).

Psensor's not terribly important to me, but I might add that while writing this, Psensor did freeze on me, so I killed it... Restarted a minute later but still no output. Nice chatting, Seasons Greetings.

The PC is a HP dc7800 with E6750 (Duo 2.66Mhz/2GB).

elroy

Re: Anyone using Psensor

#180 Post by elroy »

dennis-slacko531 wrote:Hi:

Psensor Setup went well...I think. I answered YES to everything but one (2nd option seemed skipable). I've got a used PC just bought and really find Lina-lite 005 most excellent!

I remember using Psensor in another Linux & another PC and had similar yet only brief initial results issues. This time out I just can't get it to show me any temps. It's been running one hour. I made only a few changes to the output time preferences. They read 6...3...10 in vertical order (screenshot may be hard to see).

Psensor's not terribly important to me, but I might add that while writing this, Psensor did freeze on me, so I killed it... Restarted a minute later but still no output. Nice chatting, Seasons Greetings.

The PC is a HP dc7800 with E6750 (Duo 2.66Mhz/2GB).
Hi dennis-slacko531,

I'm glad that you find 'lina-lite useful.

Sensor data reporting is very much machine dependent. In my own case, not much data is shown on my main computer; I get more values from my netbook than from my laptop. While I can't say for certain that this is what ails you, it sounds like the host probably doesn't support the various sensor values.