Problems with an HP Deskjet 310 [SOLVED]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
James186282

Several HP Deskjet 310 problem [SOLVED]

#21 Post by James186282 »

rcrsn51 wrote:In the list of CUPS devices, select AppSocket/HPJetDirect.

On the next screen, change "socket:" to "parallel:/dev/usb/lp0"

Please report back.
Whew... Again you have saved my sanity. It just printed the test page and I'm a giant smiley face - thank you so much ! ! ! I owe you twice (At least if not more)

Near the end of this I started to understand that I needed the dev/usb/lp0
Not having the usb part was clearly an issue.

Could you explain "parallel:"? I don't remember needing this in the earlier problem with a built in parallel port. Can you spell this out for a dumb head newbee?
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

rcrsn51

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

I re-read your page 1 and I can't tell which CUPS version you were using then. And you haven't stated what Puppy you are using now.

But I'm pretty sure that the old URI would have been "parallel:/dev/lp0".

That doesn't work with your new computer because it doesn't have a parallel port, so /dev/lp0 doesn't exist.

And usb://.... doesn't work because your parallel port printer is apparently not detected by CUPS as a valid USB device through the adapter cable.

But since your computer's USB system is detecting something on /dev/usb/lp0, you can trick CUPS by using "parallel:/dev/usb/lp0".

James186282

#23 Post by James186282 »

Sorry - I was a bit cryptic. Its 1.4.6 (cups) and I really do appreciate your help on another printer problem. Most of the problems that have been "fixed" by people on the forum are embarrassing *I should have been able to figure that out on my own. This one? I really wasn't going to get this one. So extra thanks for sharing your knowledge.

People are probably wondering if I'm goofy to still be using this printer but... There are not many printers like this one. Small enough to put in a laptop bag. Runs on battery power (If you wish) *Although I think I have to make up another pack from scratch.

You know the one thing that is really nice about this printer? When you press the on / off button it shuts off or on in an instant. My wife has a printer that makes printing sounds for about a minute before it starts printing and shutting it down is just as dippy. It has a touch screen, lets me buy Disney products on line and all sorts of (Huh? Whats the point of this again) Its pretty poor as a printer. Or at least I think so. Progress...
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]