Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 25 Nov 2014, 17:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 8 of 19 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
01micko

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 07:33    Post_subject:  

Some goodies to test.

I will get on to more serious things soon.

Firstly, It's Christmas again and once again Joe Wing is back in action. He is up to revision 587 as of 17 December and seems to have fixed the compositing bug which first appeared in revision 520 (or so).

Secondly, Thunor has been steadily progressing with gtkdialog and is now at revision 496, getting close to the next stable release.

Both are attached. Report any issues.

EDIT: Attachment jwm-587 removed, test jwm-590 near the bottom of this page
gtkdialog-0.8.3-r496M-slacko.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  gtkdialog-0.8.3-r496M-slacko.pet 
Filesize  97.91 KB 
Downloaded  343 Time(s) 
gtkdialog_DOC-0.8.3-r496M-slacko.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  gtkdialog_DOC-0.8.3-r496M-slacko.pet 
Filesize  126.17 KB 
Downloaded  334 Time(s) 

Edited_time_total
Billtoo

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012, 02:47    Post_subject: Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports
Sub_title: openbox and lxpanel

01micko wrote:

Firstly, It's Christmas again and once again Joe Wing is back in action. He is up to revision 587 as of 17 December and seems to have fixed the compositing bug which first appeared in revision 520 (or so).

@01micko
Hi,
I made an sfs of openbox and the latest lxpanel that is working well in Slacko-54,let me know if you'd like to check it out and I'll give you a download link.

EDIT:How about jwm+lxpanel? Smile
jwm+lxpanel.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   32.24 KB
 Viewed   1517 Time(s)

jwm+lxpanel.jpg

lxpanel.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   106.47 KB
 Viewed   1766 Time(s)

lxpanel.jpg

Edited_times_total
8-bit

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec 2012, 03:07    Post_subject:  

I had downloaded and am using Slacko 5.4 Final frugally installed.
The md5sum checks out ok.
But the list of built in files seems to lack inclusion of Firefox in the list.
I want to be able to completely remove Firefox and use Seamonkey in it's place.
I currently have Seamonkey installed and did a rename of the hidden file .mozilla in the /root directory to .oldmozilla.
I then systemlinked my .mozilla directory into /root so I can use it for all my installs of Puppy running Seamonkey.
The problem I am having is that I am getting severe pauses when entering text in a post, videos are also not playing properly etc. when running Seamonkey.
I think it might be a cache problem with Firefox caching stuff even though it is not running but Seamonkey is.

So, is there a list of the files that are installed by Firefox that I can delete and then do a reinstall of Seamonkey.
Of course, I would initially remove the link to my external .mozilla file to protect it until I had Seamonkey installed.

Suggestions gladly accepted.
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec 2012, 07:03    Post_subject:  

8-bit wrote:
I had downloaded and am using Slacko 5.4 Final frugally installed.
The md5sum checks out ok.
But the list of built in files seems to lack inclusion of Firefox in the list.
I want to be able to completely remove Firefox and use Seamonkey in it's place.
I currently have Seamonkey installed and did a rename of the hidden file .mozilla in the /root directory to .oldmozilla.
I then systemlinked my .mozilla directory into /root so I can use it for all my installs of Puppy running Seamonkey.
The problem I am having is that I am getting severe pauses when entering text in a post, videos are also not playing properly etc. when running Seamonkey.
I think it might be a cache problem with Firefox caching stuff even though it is not running but Seamonkey is.

So, is there a list of the files that are installed by Firefox that I can delete and then do a reinstall of Seamonkey.
Of course, I would initially remove the link to my external .mozilla file to protect it until I had Seamonkey installed.

Suggestions gladly accepted.

mozilla-firefox Wink, look for that.

8-bit

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec 2012, 13:27    Post_subject:  

Thank you 01micko.
That list of installed files for Firefox is unreal!
Going by the line count in geany when I open that file as text, it looks like 1277 files approximately.
And that is a lot of files to individually remove.
Do you suppose a utility I saw a while back on removing built-in files would work?
I just do not look forward to manually removing them although I suppose if I did a quiet delete of the associated directories, I might have a fighting chance.
But one thing that bothers me is if removal of it would break the CUPS browser interface and if there are other things in Puppy that depend on any of the files associated with it.

I will have to give it a go and see I guess as I have my slackosave file backed up for being able to easily undo the changes if need be.
sszindian

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012, 13:50    Post_subject: 5.4 FF non PAE  

Slacko-5.4 FF non PAE

Been testing Slacko 5.4 quiet extensively since its introduction and I must say, 'This Is The Best Of The Best Of The Latest Distro's I've Tested To Date!'

Graphics on this old Dell 4 Dimension 3000 are crystal clear!

5-4 is fast...'Very Fast!'

WiFi with a Linksys AE1000 using rt2800usb seems to be working very well so far. At first I experienced a few 'drops' and it did not auto restart itself, had to do a reboot to activate it again but, that hasn't happened for awhile now.

The New Google Earth installed from the PPM (Phew... very large) is without doubt the best, and fastest google earth I have ever used!!! Again, clarity is just outstanding!

So far, the only fault I can find is with xscreensaver not displaying the picture-graphics in GLslideshow and Carousel. This has been an issue with the last several versions of Slacko and I hope 'someone' can come up with an answer in the near future??? All other modules of xscreensaver work properly.

All in all... a superb distro mic! 'congratulations!!!'

>>>---Indian------>

JustGreg

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012, 21:14    Post_subject:
Sub_title: Slacko 5.4 PAE not detecting Audio CDROM (Fixed?)

I am trying to rip an Audio CDROM. Both CDMusic (Pmusic) and Asunder do not see the Audio CDROM in my USB CDROM/DVD device. Previously (Slacko 5.3.3 4G), an audio cdrom when in the USB device, would show on the desktop as an unmounted CD. Clicking on it would bring up Pmusic to listen to it. Now, nothing is shown and no actions. Any ideas on what could be wrong. Thanks for any help on this one.

New/resolved: After a reboot, I decide to check if the link (/dev/cdrom) was present and It was. I also check to make sure /dev/cdrom pointed to the correct device (/dev/sr0) and it was correct. I did try the CDROM player/ripper and this time, it worked properly. However, still no icon for the CD drive. It does show for a data disc.

SFR

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2012, 09:57    Post_subject: Re: Slacko-5.4-PAE frugal - problems with savefile  

Consentient has reported here, that switching to PAE version has resolved his/her "slow writing to savefile" problem.

(Continuation of this post.)

For now I'm using dirty (literally) workaround that seems to repress the problem in some extent:
Code:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio

(I've added it to rc.sysinit temporarily)

I know those values are stupid, but although HDD usually still catches deadlock during writing bigger files to pup_ro1, at least after 1-2 minutes the rest of a file is being written, more or less fluently - no total hangs, no need to use power button anymore (so far).

Anyway, it's still no real solution...

Greetings!

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2012, 10:12    Post_subject:  

SFR

Thanks for reports.

I have been a little "slack" lately.. you know, holidays and such, but this issue is on my radar.

My thoughts are is that this is possibly an AUFS issue. Pure speculation at this stage, however I will attempt some tests and see if I can reproduce and also look at the AUFS maiilng lists to see if something similar is reported.

Cheers

feelsub

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2012, 11:43    Post_subject:  

BUG: fails to boot

tested fresh USB live install of
slacko-5.4-opera-PAE

On Core 5 : OK
on Core 7: does not boot: can't find puppy_slacko5.4.sfs

P.S. Could you upgrade as well FFmpeg to version 1.0 or latest build, as it fixes anoying synchronisation bugs.

Thanks for Slacko
James C

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2012, 05:21    Post_subject: First look at Puppy Linux 5.4 "Slacko"
Sub_title: DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 488, 24 December 2012

Interesting review of Slacko 5.4 in the new Distrowatch Weekly.

Quote:
As we are coming up on the end of the year I want to take a look at a project which is unique and outside the mainstream of Linux projects. I don't think any project embodies distinct and useful technology quite as well as Puppy Linux does. Puppy's 5.4 "Slacko" edition was released recently and it struck me as an interesting and fun way to wrap up the year.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20121224#review
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2012, 07:03    Post_subject:  

Hello I currently am using Slacko 5.4 with the Compiz SFS, but lxpanel (which comes in that sfs) doesn't refresh it's menus when an app is installed.

Also the sfs-manager doesn't have the devx listed.

01micko

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2012, 09:30    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:

There is a bug in 587-8-9 that causes random X crashes. I have been working with Joe on this and we believe it is solved in revision 590 (attached).

Test and enjoy!
jwm-590-i486.pet
Description  For testing
pet

Download 
Filename  jwm-590-i486.pet 
Filesize  92.62 KB 
Downloaded  341 Time(s) 

pemasu

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2012, 11:34    Post_subject:  

From my previous post.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=673579#673579
Quote:
I tested with new jwm 588 and 589 versions. I got several times X crash and in kernel messages I noticed jwm seqfault message. So...I didnt upgrade jwm. I will see how jwm matures, but nice to see that Joe Wing is again in Christmas time working with jwm.

Thanks 01micko. Testing jwm-590 now in Upup Precise. If X has not crashed in 24 hours, it surely will look better than previous versions.
01micko

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2012, 18:45    Post_subject:  

pemasu wrote:
From my previous post.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=673579#673579
Quote:
I tested with new jwm 588 and 589 versions. I got several times X crash and in kernel messages I noticed jwm seqfault message. So...I didnt upgrade jwm. I will see how jwm matures, but nice to see that Joe Wing is again in Christmas time working with jwm.

Thanks 01micko. Testing jwm-590 now in Upup Precise. If X has not crashed in 24 hours, it surely will look better than previous versions.
Yes, I have been compiling for myself with '--enable-debug' and sending the /tmp/xerrs.log to Joe. I did find a reliable way to reproduce the crash, as did Joe and it is fixed in 590. Cool . Compositing should be ok too now.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 8 of 19 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum