Puppy2 won't save to CD: "dev/hdd write protected"

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
bobanshirl

Puppy2 won't save to CD: "dev/hdd write protected"

#1 Post by bobanshirl »

Got another small problem,now that I can get on line with Puppy 2 I have decided to stay with it.Problem now is when I try to save to the RW/CD which has Puppy 2 burnt on it,it tells me that /dev/hdd which I presume must be my CD/DVD Burner drive,is write protected and is mounting read only.Every time I run Puppy I have to enter the details all over again.Any suggestions.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

did you burn puppy as multisession, and if so, what did you use to burn it?

bobanshirl

saving to cd

#3 Post by bobanshirl »

I used Nero but I couldnt see any mention of multisession am I missing something

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Aha, if the burning program you used didn't say it was burning a multisession CD or DVD then it probably didn't. At least you now have a bootable Puppy you can use to make a multisession CD. :)

You should be able to boot it and then use Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd to burn a bootable CD, overwriting whatever is on the CD-RW you just booted from. Cool, huh? (In my experience a DVD-RW will work if you simply overwrite it, but maybe not a CD-RW in which case you will have to erase it first. Try it and see.)

Assuming you still have the Puppy iso on the hard drive somewhere, just mount the hard drive partition where it is (use the "Drives" icon on the desktop) so Puppy can see it, and then tell Burniso2cd where to find it.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

bobanshirl

multisession

#5 Post by bobanshirl »

sorry to say this didnt work.Does it matter that I have the ISO on a CD-R in the cdrom drive and a cd-rw in the cd/dvd recording drive

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Hmm, I don't know. It might. Puppy could be getting tangled up trying to do the reading and burning simultaneously. Can you transfer the iso to a hard drive in the computer? It's only a ~70 MB file.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

raffy

RW same as boot drive

#7 Post by raffy »

Multisession works only if the boot drive IS the RW drive. So you have to swap drives at times.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

bobanshirl

swapping drives

#8 Post by bobanshirl »

Hi Raffy Can you tell me how to carry out this operation.While I am here why does Puppy mount my cdrom and dvd drives as read only write protected.

bobanshirl

saving to disc

#9 Post by bobanshirl »

thanks for all the replies on this I have eventually got it to work.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: saving to disc

#10 Post by Flash »

bobanshirl wrote:thanks for all the replies on this I have eventually got it to work.
I hope you plan to tell us how you did it, for the benefit of others looking for answers in this forum. :)

bobanshirl

dvd hdd write protected

#11 Post by bobanshirl »

What I did was what several people told me to do: I put the iso in my ntfs partition and told burniso2cd where it was. Voila,I have it.

pmshah

#12 Post by pmshah »

In nero you have an option of finalising the CD. If you do, no further writes are possible, even on a CD-RW disk.