Manual remaster - GUI, no command line

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
greengeek

#21 Post by greengeek »

I am trying to closely follow the tutorial steps but when I copy the mounted pup.sfs to the newbuild folder the filesystem directories seem intact but I get over 3000 errors and none of the symlinks have been copied (as well as possibly some other files that it calls "special files"). I am assuming the loss of symlinks is going to impact on the final product so did not go any further yet. (I am working with pUPnGO_2012 sfs and trying to remaster in Akita 8.)

There must be something basic I am missing?

technosaurus

#22 Post by technosaurus »

It's been a while, but I tested by dragging a dropping between 2 rox windows and it handled everything fine.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

greengeek

#23 Post by greengeek »

I'm stabbing in the dark a bit here - but I have a gut feeling from some of my googling that I may have a problem with "dereferencing" - the symlinks are being copied across as the actual original file (which explains some of the other "cant copy special file" and "do you wish to overwrite" issues I'm getting as well I think). I see references to using the -P (capital P) argument and saw a vague comment about the level of core-utils. I've now tried this process several times on different puppies and still having the same issues so I must assume it is something to do with the way I have my puppies set up. Will post back if I have any further info to offer.

EDIT:The problem seems to occur when I try to copy the mounted pup.sfs contents over to a usb partition (which is where I wanted to do the remaster as it has plenty of free space). If I copy the files to a directory in /root (which has insufficient space for me to do the remaster there..) the copy works fine and the symlinks are copied. I think I need to set up a system which has lots of room in /root and see how it goes doing everything in there.

Keef

#24 Post by Keef »

Try copying the pupngo sfs to the USB drive first before mounting it. Once it is mounted you can delete it to save space if needed.

greengeek

#25 Post by greengeek »

When I copy the sfs to the usb drive it will not let me mount it by clicking. It says "failed mount or unmount". I've switched to a machine that has plenty of space for a large savefile so am working in root only now.