Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 04:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Problems remastering Lucid 5.2.8
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Javelin Dan

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec 2012, 16:23    Post subject:  Problems remastering Lucid 5.2.8
Subject description: Is there a tutorial on remastering?

Running Lucid Pup 5.2.8 on a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop – Pentium III “Coppermine” processor, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB hard drive.

I would appreciate some help understanding the skill of remastering Puppy. I’m running a hard drive installation of Lucid 5.2.8 on the machine listed above. My first attempt crashed and burned for reasons I still don’t understand. On my second attempt, a window popped up that informed me that I couldn’t remaster a hard drive installation, so I booted up the live CD. I mistakenly thought that this process would somehow probe my root folder and copy all my preferences of my installed version to the newly remastered copy. Obviously I was wrong, and I ended up with an exact duplicate of my installation disk. On this try, I did not make a save file as I closed down the live CD.

On my third attempt, I booted the live CD and made a few noticeable changes – changed the wallpaper, installed a browser, etc. On this attempt, I did make a save file when closing out and was rewarded with a remastered copy that was identical to my customized live CD session. I booted it in another computer to confirm it was the CD and not the save file showing the changes… progress! However, there are still many things I don’t understand about this process, and I still feel very clumsy at this - like I’m typing with my elbows.

I also know that you can’t install an sfs. file unless the OS is installed. Yet I’m told I can’t remaster from my hard drive installation. I’m not understanding how to get an install just the way you want it with all your favorite software in place and then remaster it. From a USB install perhaps? Should a save file always be made? Save it where?

I’ve done considerable Googling and have not yet found a detailed tutorial on this – it may well be out there, I just haven’t found it. Can someone direct me to a good guide or tutorial for this or at least take the time to explain this process in “newbie-speak” detail? Thanks.
puppyluvr

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec 2012, 18:54    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
Have you checked the wikka?

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/remastering

Here is Dougals post about doing it manually:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=500636#500636

Puppy since 2.15CE...
RSH

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec 2012, 20:37    Post subject: LazY Puppy LazY Remaster Suite
Subject description: Version 1.2.6

Hi.

I'm currently running a remastered lucid 528 (posting from it), remastered with installed LazY Puppy LazY Remaster Suite.

Should work for you also and makes remastering the lucid really comfortable.

This needs isolinux.cfg and isolinux.bin in the boot directory to make a iso - otherwise you will only get the files the iso usually contains.

It makes a remaster without the need to have a cd or to mount a iso.

RSH

Edit:

Sorry, but the first four (4) downloads containing wrong .desktop file!

Fixed!!!

Changes:

1.2.6 - 2013-01-09

Fixed code in line: 876 at lp2_remaster_pupcd ( maxdepth to -maxdepth )
Code:
Files=`find $Apps -maxdepth 2 -type f`
LazY-Remaster-1.2.6.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  LazY-Remaster-1.2.6.pet 
Filesize  136.71 KB 
Downloaded  577 Time(s) 

musher0

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 05:56    Post subject:  

RSH,

> The original Puppy Remaster Script has been removed.

Who gave you the authority ? Why substitute your own judgment to the user's?

Respectfully submitted.

musher0

R-S-H

PostPosted: Thu 04 Apr 2013, 20:23    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
RSH,

Respectfully submitted.

musher0

Hi.

I don't know, what do you want from me?

Do I have to ask for authority, if I want to add or to remove something from whatever Puppy I've been working on?

Really, I don't know, what do you want from me?

Respectfully asked!

RSH

rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr 2013, 13:11    Post subject: Re: Problems remastering Lucid 5.2.8
Subject description: Is there a tutorial on remastering?

Javelin Dan wrote:
Running Lucid Pup 5.2.8 on a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop – Pentium III “Coppermine” processor, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB hard drive.
I would appreciate some help understanding the skill of remastering Puppy. I’m running a hard drive installation of Lucid 5.2.8 on the machine listed above.
I am the last person to make updates to remasterpup2 for lucid pup 528, so may be able to help you out.

First, please use one of the lupuplus versions of 528, because they contain the latest fixes to the original, including remasterpup2. You are correct to assume that a remaster will contain your added programs, but probably not any customization of them.

Actually, you can create three types of remastered puppies: generic with the added programs/scripts, personalized for your hardware configuration but not necessarily your other customizations, and (most recently) "boot disk" that includes everything so that you can boot without ever creating a pupsave file.

The last is unofficial, in that it was added by user request, to allow operation on public PCs without storing any personal/sensitive information. To do that, when allowed to modify the /etc and /root directories, delete the /tmp/etc and /tmp/root directories, then copy the current versions of them from /etc and /root, respectively.

The cleanest way to remaster (IMHO) is from a boot of a CD without a pupsave file (pfix=ram), install any packages to be added, and remaster. Alternatively, if you don't have the CD (and are booting from a frugal installation) and have the .iso file for the same puppy, you can first click on it to mount is, then when asked for the puppy CD, choose the mounted directory, instead.

Regarding SFS files, you can include their contents in a remaster, as part of the main puppy file. In that case, boot pfix=ram, add any programs, reboot and create a new pupsave file. Upon reboot you will be prompted to add SFS files to the installation, so (assuming you already have them in the same directory as the pupsave) add them at that time or later by starting System>BootManager. Then reboot again so that the SFS files are included in the puppy session. Then remaster.

If you want to go this standard route, I can assist.
Richard
R-S-H

PostPosted: Thu 30 May 2013, 20:29    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
RSH,

Respectfully submitted.

Ok, I see now.

You do mean the GUI Text. This Text is only related to LazY Puppy because this is taken from LazY Puppy. Using this PET will NOT remove the original remasterpup2 script from your puppy !!!

You might have noticed this already...

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: