glibc upgrade

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
sickgut

glibc upgrade

#1 Post by sickgut »

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... 0_i386.deb

Hi, the above url is a glibc upgrade package you can install on your Puppy so you can run new software. The glibc version is the single biggest obstacle tat stops newer software running on an older linux system. If your puppy cannot install .deb packages natively then use this .pet package to do it:

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... .14.20.pet

The syntax for using this program in the terminal is:

dpkg-deb -x packagename.deb /

ofcause replace packagename.deb with the name of the .deb package filename you wanna install. Also a neat trick is to enter the first few letters of the name and then p ress tab and it will autocomplete the filename for you.

Over and out
Sickgut

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

This is very similar to an older thread by sickgut.
The other one now has updated links:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 368#568368

Sickgut's now-dead links (in post above) include a slightly different .deb file, which is available here:
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage/sn ... 0_i386.deb
(Edited 8-3-2013: replaced dead link)

When I asked him why (the different .deb), he said he couldn't remember exactly, but:

(edited)
The later post would have the better information as there must have been some reason for me to post the Ubuntu one then repost a Debian one.

I would suggest using the Debian one, have a search at http://packages.debian.org and you might even be able to get a newer one.

It's been my experience that Debian packages are more stable; even the Debian experimental is more stable than normal Ubuntu.
Going by the numbers, the above .deb file appears to be more recent.
Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 03 Aug 2013, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.

sickgut

#3 Post by sickgut »

hi dewbie

i recall now why i posted a seccond thread with a debian package rather than ubuntu there was a problem with the ubuntu one messing with locales, and altho this makes no difference to usa keyboard english speaking people it is bad for all the others, as it forces most programs to fall back to the default "C" locale whatever that is. There is error spam in the terminal but this doesnt seem to slow anything down and seems harmless.

at the time the debian package didnt have that same problem and worked fine.

thanks for bringing the thread back to life and updating the links etc too matey i appreciate it.

playdayz

#4 Post by playdayz »

Are there examples of particular software that will not run unless this libc6 is installed? I have experimented with this myself, but i don't know any particular software to test. Thanks.

Dewbie

#5 Post by Dewbie »

playdayz wrote:
Are there examples of particular software that will not run unless this libc6 is installed?
Here's one:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72301

Tman

#6 Post by Tman »

Sickgut, you links give a file not found error

However, the deb is availiable at debian.org. http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i386/libc6/download

watchdog

wary 5.3 glibc upgrade for google-talkplugin

#7 Post by watchdog »

In wary 5.3 I run google-talkplugin version 2.1.7.0 with Firefox. The google-talkplugin in that version is downloadable from slackware 13.37 repository. A newer google-talkplugin asks for glibc upgrade. I have tried to install libc6 from debian and a newer google-talkplugin but Firefox crashes. Is there a workaround to do the job of upgrading glibc in wary 5.3? In the meanwhile I'll stay on google-talkplugin version 2.1.7.0: my post is intended to suggest using version 2.1.7.0 of google-talkplugin from slackware 13.37 repository to solve the problem of wary and google-talkplugin.

Monsie

glibc upgrade

#8 Post by Monsie »

watchdog,

The link provided by Tman works. After downloading it, click on the deb package.... XArchive will extract it and then Puppy Package Manager will install it. After the installation, reboot, and then try updating your google-talk plugin. It's possible that the plugin might require a specific version of libc6 aka glibc2 and that the plugin might only work with a newer version of Firefox so you want to pay attention to any error messages during an attempted update as well as to system requirements for this upgrade.

I can confirm that this package: libc6_2.11.3 works in Wary Puppy and a dependency check indicates there are no issues.

hope this helps,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Monsie

glibc upgrade

#9 Post by Monsie »

playdayz wrote:Are there examples of particular software that will not run unless this libc6 is installed? I have experimented with this myself, but i don't know any particular software to test. Thanks.
Edit: Wary Puppy does not have a very recent version of glibc2... also known as libc6.
This package (from the download link provided by Tman) is needed to run Apache OpenOffice 3.4 so I will post this info in Mick's thread where he compiled OpenOffice for a number of Puppy breeds.

Monsie
Last edited by Monsie on Mon 31 Dec 2012, 00:56, edited 2 times in total.
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

simargl

#10 Post by simargl »

Monsie wrote:Wary Puppy does not have glibc2... also known as libc6. This package is needed to run Apache OpenOffice 3.4 so I will post this info in Mick's thread where he compiled OpenOffice for a number of Puppy breeds.
glibc or GNU C Library, is main system library that every program links to. Without it you couldn't boot your system and write this post :D

Monsie

glibc upgrade

#11 Post by Monsie »

simargl,

Please note that this thread refers to the glibc2 package also known as libc6 which is not the same as glibc so let's not cause any confusion here.

Thanks,
Monsie

simargl

#12 Post by simargl »

Yes it is the same Look this http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libc6 and see its description. Anyway if you want to upgrade that library make sure to recompile all packages afterwards. Ok.

Monsie

glibc upgrade

#13 Post by Monsie »

Again, I don't want any confusion created here... this thread is about providing a specific solution to a specific type of problem.

My understanding is that glibc2 is basically version 2 of glibc as explained over here. So, while glibc and glibc2 share similar code base, they are not the same obviously.... and so Wary Puppy, for example, does not include glibc2 but needs this package to run OpenOffice. Wary Puppy does not require glibc2 in order to boot up etc. and therefore I do not understand the point that you were trying to make in your initial post.

Again, I don't want any confusion created here... and let's not get caught up in semantics, because there really isn't room for that in this kind of thread....

Edit: See the following posts by jamesbond and pemasu for clarification about glibc2.

Monsie
Last edited by Monsie on Mon 31 Dec 2012, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

jamesbond

#14 Post by jamesbond »

simargl is only trying to say that the package will replace the existing glibc and thus shouldn't be taken lightly - it *may* cause the system to stop working.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

pemasu

#15 Post by pemasu »

Libc6 - glibc in Barry`s repositories - GNU C Library are the same thing.
Barry Kauler packages it as glibc. It has libs and binaries.
The latest wary5 repository version glibc-2.10.1-1-w5c.pet is complete package with libs and binaries.
Ubuntu and Debian splits packages to the smaller ones. libc6 .deb has just the libraries. libc-bin has the needed binaries.

Barry`s glibc packages are slightly reduced. They do not have full gconv directory content. Gconv-modules.cache (compiled data file) has been added into it lately, because if it is missing, it slows down gtkdialog app launching.

Of course there are heaps of different libc6 versions. Applications tend to need newer ones when they are compiled against newer library.

That is what the distro upgrades do.
In ubuntu precise there is version:
# ldd --version
ldd (Ubuntu EGLIBC 2.15-0ubuntu10.3) 2.15
So...libc6 is version 2.15.

Of course people can take adventurous libc6 updates for spesific application needs, but that is risky and should be announced in the thread that the update can render the distro useless.
If person testing the libc6 update is using important savefile, it can be the end of that savefile. People should know that.

Package: libc6 (2.15-0ubuntu10.2)
Embedded GNU C Library: Shared libraries
Contains the standard libraries that are used by nearly all programs on the system.

Monsie

glibc upgrade

#16 Post by Monsie »

Thank you jamesbond and pemasu for the clarification.

So Wary Puppy does include glibc2 by default --just not the version needed to run OpenOffice?

It may be that I am most confused by the file names and versioning... Hmm... it wouldn't be the first time I was confused... :? :roll: That said, I owe simargl an apology for having misunderstood what he was trying to tell me.

In the readme file for OpenOffice 3.4 here are the system requirements:

* Linux Kernel version 2.6.18 or higher
* glibc2 version 2.5 or higher
* gtk version 2.10.4 or higher
* Pentium compatible PC (Pentium III or Athlon recommended)
* 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)
* Up to 1.55 GB available hard disk space
* X Server with 1024x768 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at least 256 colors
* Window Manager
* Gnome 2.16 or higher, with the gail 1.8.6 and the at-spi 1.7 packages, required for support of assistive technology tools (AT tools)
Notice that it refers to glibc2 yet in Wary Puppy I can only find reference to glibc in Puppy Package Manager and when I do a file search of my system. (By the way, PPM shows glibc -2.6.1.-1 in the repos as the latest version.) So my conclusion was that Wary Puppy does not have glibc2, hence the confusion. In short, "it's all in the languaging" so-to-speak.

While I have installed the glibc2 package from the download link provided by Tman and it appears to have not caused any problems, yet, I will heed your warnings that this upgrade could be risky and advise everyone to make sure they have backed up their important files before doing this update so as to try running Apache OpenOffice.

Monsie

jamesbond

Re: glibc upgrade

#17 Post by jamesbond »

Monsie wrote:Thank you jamesbond and pemasu for the clarification.
No worries, we're helping each other here.
So Wary Puppy does include glibc2 by default just not the version needed to run OpenOffice?
Correct. glibc, glibc2, libc6 - all those are just packaging names. I just pulled out my copy of Wary 5.0 (the first ever Wary) and it came with glibc 2.10.1 - the same as the pet pointed by pemasu above.
In the readme file for OpenOffice 3.4 here are the system requirements:

* Linux Kernel version 2.6.18 or higher
* glibc2 version 2.5 or higher
* gtk version 2.10.4 or higher
* Pentium compatible PC (Pentium III or Athlon recommended)
* 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)
* Up to 1.55 GB available hard disk space
* X Server with 1024x768 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at least 256 colors
* Window Manager
* Gnome 2.16 or higher, with the gail 1.8.6 and the at-spi 1.7 packages, required for support of assistive technology tools (AT tools)
It said it requires glibc 2.5 - so by logic it should work with Wary's glibc, which is 2.10.1 (newer than 2.5). Why it doesn't work, I have no idea :shock:
Notice that it refers to glibc2 yet in Wary Puppy I can only find reference to glibc in Puppy Package Manager and when I do a file search of my system.
Yes, it's just packaging names.
(By the way, PPM shows glibc -2.6.1.-1 in the repos as the latest version.) So my conclusion was that Wary Puppy does not have glibc2, hence the confusion. In short, "it's all in the languaging" so-to-speak.
Not your fault. The names have changed a couple of times, and to make it more confusing every distro may package / name them differently. Look at Barry's exasperation with Ubuntu's package splitting (and naming) :lol: But Wary does have "glibc2". In fact, it is better to state the version - Wary has glibc 2.10.1. Now, why PPM only shows glibc 2.6.1, I believe that's another problem as pemasu has pointed out that glibc-2.10.1-1-w5c.pet is in fact available in Wary's PPM repository.
While I have installed the glibc2 package from the download link provided by Tman and it appears to have not caused any problems, yet, I will heed your warnings that this upgrade could be risky and advise everyone to make sure they have backed up their important files before doing this update so as to try running Apache OpenOffice.
I think the practice of replacing glibc is quite popular in Puppy community. As long as people are aware of the consequences (and hopefully able to undo the damage if it happens), then that's fine.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

amigo

#18 Post by amigo »

There is no such thing as 'glibc2'. libc is a generic name for any of the c-lib alternatives. libc5 was the old original (circa Slackware 8.0 and older). When the glibc(GNU libc) project was started, they used the alternate name 'libc6' since it was not binary-compatrible with libc5.

I'm wondering if someone hasn't been confusing glibc2 with glib2??

Anyway, the whole idea of upgrading glibc without doing a complete upgrade is bound to fail -at some point. Nerly everything on your system uses glibc -fully-statically-linked programs being the exception (like /sbin/init -the real one, which Puppy does not have).
If you simply upgrade glibc and not all the rest, then you run the risk of having old programs not be compatible with the new glibc -resulting in hard-to-diagnose failures.

If you need a newer glibc for a certain program, then place the newer glibc in some out-of-the-way path and write a wrapper for the program which adds LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the newer library. This avoids all conflicts.

Dewbie

#19 Post by Dewbie »

amigo wrote:
If you need a newer glibc for a certain program, then place the newer glibc in some out-of-the-way path and write a wrapper for the program which adds LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the newer library. This avoids all conflicts.

Can anyone demonstrate how to do this, in steps?

01micko

#20 Post by 01micko »

Put the updated glibc libraries in a folder, lets say $HOME/newer-glibc

Now, let's say the program you want to run is google-chrome.

Write a script called google-chrome.sh:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/newer-glibc:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec google-chrome "$@"
Put that script in your executable path and call it however you like.

NOTE: just an example for demo purposes
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access