Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 30 Aug 2014, 16:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to force PUPMODE 13 (flash drive) when using hd install
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Fractal

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb 2011, 11:48    Post_subject:  

My SBC doesn't have a HDD - it has a 512MB CF drive, so it's important that Puppy protects it with minimal writes.
I am using 4.2.1, because 5.x doesn't seem to want to let me use the serial port, which I need.
Here are my findings:

PMEDIA=ataflash does NOT WORK. This might be because the CF cards I am using all register as non-removable.

To force PUPMODE=13, I edited my init script in the root of initrd using the "editinit" script from Pizzagood. I added the line "PUPMODE=13" at an appropriate point to force it to use PUPMODE=13.

However, this does mean editing the init script and permanently knobbling it.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb 2011, 06:14    Post_subject:  

Fractal, Sylvander uses Lupu 5.2 - so it pmedia=ataflash should work (I think).

Sylvander - when you say "live CD-RW" - I assume you just burn puppy ISO to your CD-RW and boot from there. Now, I don't usually use live-CD-RW, so no guarantee that this will work. The file you would need to edit isolinux.cfg. Change the last line from "pmedia=cd" to "pmedia=ataflash". The easiest way to do this is:
a) extract isolinux.cfg from Lupu 5.2
b) edit the file as above
c) get a version of puppy that has ISOMaster in it.
d) use isomaster to replace the isolinux.cfg in the puppy iso with the one you just edited
e) save the new iso, and then burn it.

Good luck.

Sylvander

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb 2011, 12:47    Post_subject:  

Job done, altered ISO file made as per your instructions. Very Happy

Here's greater detail on what I did:
1. Extract isolinux.cfg file from lupu-520.iso file.
(a) Using Xfe, I navigated to the folder holding the ISO file.
(b) Clicked on the icon [in Xfe] to "Lauch Terminal" that applies to the contents of that "Active" window.
(c) Typed the first few characters of the command filemnt [e.g. filem] and hit <Tab> to complete the name of the command.
[There should be a space after the command name]
(d) Type the first few characters of the name of the ISO file = lupu-520.iso [e.g. lu], and hit <Tab> to complete the name.
(e) Hit <Enter> to activate the command upon the named file.
(f) The ISO file mounted successfully at folder = /mnt/[name of file] = /mnt/lupu-520.iso

2. Edit the file as above.
(a) Right-clicked on the isolinux.cfg file within the /mnt/lupu-520.iso folder, and copied it to a handy folder = /00
(b) Right-clicked on that file, chose "Open with...", chose "Leafpad", and the file opened in Leafpad.
(c) Edited as you'd instructed, closed the file, and saved the changes when offered.
(d) Right-clicked on /mnt/lupu-520.iso folder, and chose "unmount".
An error was reported as though it had failed, but it actually succeeded in the unmount.

3. Ran ISOMaster.
(a) Went to "Menu->Multimedia->ISOMaster", and clicked that to run it.
(b) Clicked "File->Open", and navigated to the ISO file, made sure it was selected [highlighted], and clicked the "Open" button.
(c) The ISO file opened, and all the included files were listed in the bottom window.

4. Use isomaster to replace the isolinux.cfg in the puppy iso with the one you just edited.
(a) Highlighted the isolinux.cfg file in the lower pane and clicked the "Remove" icon.
It was removed.
(b) Used the "Go back" icon above the upper pane to navigate to the /00 folder holding the edited isolinux.cfg file, highlighted the file, clicked the "Add" icon above the lower pane, it was added to the lower pane.

5. Save the new iso, and then burn it.
(a) Used "File->Save as..." to navigate to the folder location of the original ISO file, and saved it with the name lupu-520-ataflash.
The program auto-added the .iso extension.
(b) Used "Menu->Multimedia->burniso2cd" to burn the ISO image to a new CD-RW disk.

6. Still to try the new CD-RW; wish me luck. Very Happy
SUCCESS! Very Happy
IT WORKS! Cool
Jasper

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb 2011, 14:09    Post_subject:  

Hi Sylvander and jamesbond,

It's good to see a job well done.

My regards
Bruce B

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep 2012, 22:09    Post_subject:  

Fractal wrote:
To force PUPMODE=13, I edited my init script in the root of initrd using the "editinit" script from Pizzagood. I added the line "PUPMODE=13" at an appropriate point to force it to use PUPMODE=13.

However, this does mean editing the init script and permanently knobbling it.

You can make backups of init, for example cp init init.BAK. When you repack it, leave init.BAK inside the newly compressed initrd.gz

You might not know for sure if the modifications do as you want until you reboot. If not, open initrd.gz and cp init.BAK init. Now you have a fresh geunine init to play with.

~

DocSalvage

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec 2012, 19:21    Post_subject:  

Running 5.2.8 Lupu on some fairly old hardware with slower IDE(PATA) drives and have been looking to maximize performance. It appears that just just changing the kernel boot paramter from...
Code:
PMEDIA=atahd

to
Code:
PMEDIA=ideflash

causes Puppy to boot in PUPMODE=13, treating the HDD like a flashdrive by putting the savefile in RAM and mounting it instead of mounting the disk image to the top layer.

On boot, the 'save' desktop icon is present and seems to work normally. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE shows PUPMODE=13 but has changed PMEDIA from 'ideflash' to 'ataflash'. I got the 'ideflash' from http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BootParametersPuppy

Reduced the save interval from the default 30min to 10min and may reduce it furrther.

Do not know if this is as-designed or a minor bug. I'm new here (but many years Unix/Linux experience) so please advise if I'm overlooking some critical downside.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum