ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mavrothal

Frisbee for ArchPup

#121 Post by mavrothal »

wrong post
Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 19:57, edited 2 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

hnoori

Adding a script in ArchPup to saveall in ram periodically.

#122 Post by hnoori »

Hi there,

I'm a puppy fan, indeed I have an old (+10 years) laptop which I thought it will never
can be used TILL I found puppy, then my laptop get a new life.
Puppy works fine and very fast and it seems there is all things that I need.

It's lightweight and plenty good stable. But, albeit it has an integrated package manager,
it's list of package still too short and out of dated. Hence, I'm looking for a new distro
which is enough lightweight as puppy and more stable with a world of cutting edge package.
Meanwhile Archpup suddenly appeared, light as puppy plus (Arch) pacman,
made it light, fast and stable. All that I needed and I was looking for!!!!!

Though it is under heavy development but still it's stable and it's really fast and light
weight. Now Archpup is my default distro, and I will install it on my main machine also.

I think if there are some function it could be more useful and reliable.
For example, it is a good idea to have a save function which save data every N min,
or every time user click on it.
another issue, I'm a non western user indeed I'm using Farsi as my local,
Farsi (aka Persian) is a Right To Left language as Arabic and Hebrew,
but, in every text editors that I tested they all can't show my Lang words
properly, in fact they show every words as separated alphabets, and I couldn't
solve it since now.

I am waiting for a newer version and sophisticated.
Merry Christmas
Good luck

mavrothal

#123 Post by mavrothal »

wrong post
Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 20:10, edited 2 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

trapster

#124 Post by trapster »

Still cannot get the wireless to work on my asus eeepc 1005HA.
Here is the output from Frisbee.

Code: Select all

[root@archpup ~]# Frisbee
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/Pwireless*': No such file or directory
Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: Not a directory
cat: /tmp/wpa_supplicant.log: No such file or directory
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try 'grep --help' for more information.
grep: write error: Broken pipe
Hardinfo:
Ethernet controller Atheros Communications AR8132 Fast Ethernet
Network controller Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

simargl

Re: Frisbee for ArchPup

#125 Post by simargl »

mavrothal wrote:Install the readline package with pacman
There is already readline-6.2.004-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz in arch-base list (bash need it), but Frisbee uses some older wireless_tools package that needs older readline (version 5), so it would be better to make symbolic link to system wireless_tools and dhcpcd they are already in.
trapster:
I started Pwireless2 from terminal and there is same grep: write error: Broken pipe. Obviously this app was written for older grep, and now it is incompatible after newer grep removed some required options. Maybe just to add pns-tools (thanks mavrothal) and connect from terminal, I will add it as attachment, please everyone test. If it works I could remove Pwireless2 package, if you agree. pns-tools might also need fixing, but it's easier to edit just one script. :wink:
Attachments
pns-tool.gz
(4.23 KiB) Downloaded 549 times

mavrothal

Re: Frisbee for ArchPup

#126 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Install the readline package with pacman
There is already readline-6.2.004-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz in arch-base list (bash need it), but Frisbee uses some older wireless_tools package that needs older readline (version 5), so it would be better to make symbolic link to system wireless_tools and dhcpcd they are already in.
Indeed libreadline is there but in /lib instead of /usr/lib where pacman installs it.
The Frisbee tarball does have the symlink of libreadline.so.5 to /usr/lib/libreadline.so.6.2. If libreadline stays in /lib the link could be changed I guess.
Frisbee is using special dhcpc and wireless tools modified by jemimah.
trapster wrote:Still cannot get the wireless to work on my asus eeepc 1005HA.
What is the output of the "ifconfig" command ?
Do you see a wlan0 or eth0 entry? If not , what do you get if you type
"ifconfig wlan0 up" ?
I think your problem is more likely kernel/udev related and not Pwireless/Frisbee etc.

Scooby

#127 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote: Seems like you and me are only users so we'll add what we need :lol:.
I am also very interested in Archpup. It gives me a good stable kind of
feeling. If I can resolve some issues like screen-tearing during video play
and if possible nvidia optimus problems, perhaps with bumblebee, I will
scrap windows permanently.

However since I cannot devote much time to it at the moment it will
be a "long haul" project for me.

I think wayland is very interesting when it matures.

dennis-slacko531

#128 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Thought I'd throw a screenshot up, it's not much, but the Terminal is possibly instructive to someone wondering how to get there first piece of software using Pacman. Upon first run of course, well at least I did this, pacman -Sy (that sort of kicks things off)... Then you can type pacman -S mtpaint (installs mtpaint nicely in the Graphics Menu).

Also, and I did read much of the 9 previous pages, Grub4dos is sure not cooperating. Well, it's in my screenshot as well. I just don't know my Grub I guess.

trapster

#129 Post by trapster »

Wifi issues have been resolved. Started with a fresh savefile.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

darkcity

#130 Post by darkcity »

trapster wrote:Wifi issues have been resolved. Started with a fresh savefile.
great stuff, how did you resolve them?

Here's my experience
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83264

Looking forward to trying Mavrothal's Frisbee 8)

simargl

#131 Post by simargl »

ArchPup 12.12.1 will have proper support for notifications using xfce4-notifyd, and main reason
for adding this is to show notification when session is saved to usbflash in pupmode 13. xfce4-notifyd
required some libraries from xfce DE, so I had to recompile thunar (there's no more need for static linking).
In two or three days I will upload new and final update for this version, after that there will be no
new versions for at least 3 months or more ( low user interest and I don't want to waste my time).
Plan is to remove Pwireless2 and add pns-tool from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 502#674502.
Actually if no one wants to help and test pns-tool, I will remove that too, and just add link to frisbee sfs or something.

stifiling

#132 Post by stifiling »

Simargl, u're the 'Linus Torvalds' of ArchPup. Even though it may 'appear' to be a lack of interest, he knew he had a diamond...and i'm sure you feel the same with this project. your project. like i said before, Arch linux and Puppy linux are the two best linuxes. and this is better than both of them.

If you look through the thread at the ppl who's posting, quite a few of them are ppl with 100 or less postings. that in itself, means something. i myself don't post often on any forum. why? because i just don't feel like it. i don't feel like creating the account, or going back in my email to search for my forgotten username and password, etc. so for someone with 6 posts to go out of their way to do that....says a lot 'indirectly' about your project.

This distro has the potential to be GREAT for beginners, to intermediates, to advanced users.

have you ever tried to do a wubi style/frugal install of arch linux on an ntfs partition? it's a massive procedure. even more massive to get it to boot from a ntfs or fat32 formated thumb drive. i have never gotten arch linux to boot frugally from a ntfs thumb drive and have tried vigorously abt 3 times. hard to get help doing it too. not many threads on it, and as soon as most ppl see ntfs....they tend to reply with "Dude, u can't install linux on an ntfs partition." this makes that massive and difficult procedure easy. so that's: easy to usb boot on ntfs/fat32 partition, easy wubi/frugal install on a windows computer, faster than Arch Linux, more complete package manager than Puppy.

i don't think most ppl understand what the potential's of this distro are. and that's where i think that "lack of interest" that u're speaking of is coming from. it's not overly hard to use though, but try explaining that to a windows user. They'd think Ubuntu was hard.

i think if u were to illustrate in the first post a mini ArchPup for dummies, or smthn to that extent....explaining it to the kind of ppl that still 'burns another CD for every puppy they try' this thing will take off. 'maybe'. a lotta ppl don't like to do too much reading either.

darkcity

#133 Post by darkcity »

+1

Archpup seems like THE solution to all the Package Management problems. Archpup is lightweight and minimal, just needs user friendliness to be an absolute classic pup. BTW I would only judge Puppy's user friendliness as medium. (For example, the behavior should be the same whether you have zero, one, or more pup-saves.)

Here's an observation about Puppy's Desktop Environment. It doesn't have one (by default)! It has a basic window manager and lots of cool little programs filling in the gaps. Only trouble some features are lost when Puppy enters a new development cycle - look at the difference between Lucid and Slacko. Also people's time to develop those tools may be taken up by compiling and hunting for libraries. Arch's desktop integration seems better from what I've seen (ie I don't want to have to configure menus and basic file associations when I install a new program.)

your looking around 50 downloads a day, I don't know how that compares to other pups?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/archpup ... 2013-01-02
Actually if no one wants to help and test pns-tool, I will remove that too, and just add link to frisbee sfs or something.
going to be testing wireless options later ; -)

backi

#134 Post by backi »

Hi !
Did download archpup latest for a test .
burnt iso to dvd .
Booting Dvd but could not run Archpup. .

Downloaded and burńt iso twice .

It could not find archpup-1212sfs.
Whats wrong . Or is this iso not meant for live Cd ?
Maybe bad download . The older version did start from Dvd .
Can anybody help ?

Scooby

#135 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote:after that there will be no
new versions for at least 3 months or more ( low user interest and I don't want to waste my time).
So simargl are you moving on to new projects then?

darkcity

#136 Post by darkcity »

backi wrote:....
Downloaded and burńt iso twice .

It could not find archpup-1212sfs.
Whats wrong . Or is this iso not meant for live Cd ?
Maybe bad download . The older version did start from Dvd .
Can anybody help ?
Not tried burning the ISO, just frugal install to harddrive

Is that possible for you?

1) I copied the 3 files: archpup-1212.sfs, initrd.gz, vmlinuz to /mnt/home/archpup

2) added the following lines to the grub menu file /mnt/home/boot/grub/menu.lst

Code: Select all

#Linux title archpup 
  title archpup on dev sda1 psubdir archpup
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /archpup/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 psubdir=archpup
  initrd /archpup/initrd.gz
---

If 1204 worked okay that could point to your ISO image being bad, or something wrong with the upload. Unfortunately I couldn't find a checksum for the image MD5SUM for example.

EDIT found checksum
ccbf02a4e95d8a1faab018ebd6b19d71 *archpup-12.12.iso

Has anyone else successfully burnt 1212 to CD/DVD?
Last edited by darkcity on Fri 04 Jan 2013, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#137 Post by backi »

Hi darkcity !

Did what you told me . Archpup is booting now as frugal .

But from DVD does not start .
Maybe somethings wrong with my Dvd .

Thanks !

simargl

#138 Post by simargl »

Is pacmanxg working for you.. because I got this :roll:
Runtime error 203 at $0805FEDA
$0805FEDA
$08060229
$080B51C4
$B74E8605
In PKGBUILD is arch=('i686' 'x86_64'), so it shouldn't be wrong architecture. :?

nancy reagan

#139 Post by nancy reagan »

stifiling wrote: This distro has the potential to be GREAT for beginners, to intermediates, to advanced users.

i think if u were to illustrate in the first post a mini ArchPup for dummies, or smthn to that extent....explaining it to the kind of ppl that still 'burns another CD for every puppy they try' this thing will take off. 'maybe'. a lotta ppl don't like to do too much reading either.
Being a low profile wannabee user I do not try every new distro, though I tried this one. I thought I was going to use this one for my overheated old notebook, but as I missed some pets I'd thought "try it later" but thought it to be too much time to read the evergrowing thread to read for the moment.

Thought was going to await the new iso and thought there was going to be a small "howto" on top of the thread.

However, most programmers and tweakers can very hard replace themselves in the minds of users.

Therefore so many diamonds in linux get lost and will Windows for still many years to come remain the leading os, maybe greatly influenced by the manifold of tablets.

Hope Archpup will have a long life.

stifiling

#140 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:Is pacmanxg working for you.. because I got this :roll:
Runtime error 203 at $0805FEDA
$0805FEDA
$08060229
$080B51C4
$B74E8605
In PKGBUILD is arch=('i686' 'x86_64'), so it shouldn't be wrong architecture. :?
i got that error too. i've seen it before as well when trying to execute the transmission-remote-gui app.

i pulled the pacman gui app out of Manjaro, edited it to work with urxvt and repackaged it. zenity is a dependency. (updated zenity not needed)

The extension .xz isn't allowed as attachments, so delete the .gz on the end and install with pacman -U /path/to/pacman-gui-0.1-14-i686.pkg.tar.xz

I'm also attaching a filemnt script that mounts sfs 2fs 3fs 4fs and iso files. it mounts them in /mnt/filename.ext. it works with notify-send if it's installed. it works as expected almost exactly the same as the default puppy filemnt script. install the exact same way with "pacman -U /path/to/filemnt-0.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz"
Attachments
pacman-gui-0.1-14.1-i686.pkg.tar.xz.gz
Zenity not needed. Uses yad.
(14.04 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
filemnt-0.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz.gz
(844 Bytes) Downloaded 438 times
Last edited by stifiling on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:35, edited 2 times in total.