How to install Firefox in Wary 5.3? (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
VictorVictor5

How to install Firefox in Wary 5.3? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by VictorVictor5 »

Greetings,

It seems to me that installing programs on Puppy are all command line. If that's the case (again - maybe I am wrong) - how can one go about installing Firefox on Wary 5.3?

Thanks!
VV5
Last edited by VictorVictor5 on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Monsie

Installing Firefox for Puppy?

#2 Post by Monsie »

VictorVictor5,

There is no need to use the command line to install Firefox. You can find a couple of versions of Firefox that have been compiled for Wary Puppy in Puppy Package Manager within the Internet category. While these versions are older, they are easy to install, require no additional dependencies, (dbus for instance) and should be stable to run in Wary. I recommend trying this first before considering running the latest version of Firefox.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

VictorVictor5

#3 Post by VictorVictor5 »

Monsie,

When I access the Puppy Package Manager, it asks if I want to install Firefox - ok no problem there. But then it asks if I want to download it. Is that coming from a local folder (if so, where?) or do I have to download it from a website?

Thanks!
VV5

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

Website.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

vicmz

#5 Post by vicmz »

You can also download Firefox for Puppy from here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72177
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

VictorVictor5

#6 Post by VictorVictor5 »

Ok, I tried installing firefox 2.0.0.7 from the website (somehow PPm installed in twice) and I tried to install firefox-16.0.2.-official from the link that vicmz provided.

Now, according to PPM, they are both installed, and they show up on my menu, but when I try to select either of them, none of them work. I tried typing firefox in the command prompt, nothing. I tried the mozilla command, and all that does is open up another SeaMonkey browser window.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
VV5

Dewbie

#7 Post by Dewbie »

Try this, substituting the Firefox official binary instead of SeaMonkey.
See instructions for the older Wary version.
Test first with a separate save file.

vicmz

#8 Post by vicmz »

For Wary/Racy you have to install dbus, dbus-glib, libjpg, and sqlite, then reboot for Firefox to work. I recommend the newer one 16.0.1 the older one may have problems with many websites.

EDIT:

For Wary/Racy 5.5 you have to install libvpx, sqlite, dbus, dbus-glib, then reboot for Firefox to work.

You can get the latest Firefox from here (English):
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... 686/en-US/

More languages:
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... inux-i686/

SEE ALSO: a GUI by Shinobar to download Firefox and run it from outside your save-file (you'll still need to install the dependencies mentioned for Wary/Racy)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91945
Last edited by vicmz on Thu 26 Jun 2014, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Monsie

How to install Firefox in Wary 5.3?

#9 Post by Monsie »

VictorVictor5,

As per your request, I am looking at this thread again...

First of all, my understanding is that you are running Wary 5.3 (as do I). That being the case, there is no need to install Firefox 2.0.0.7 from Puppy Package Manager as that is from Puppy 4 (Fourth Generation Puppy). Choose the Repo for puppy-wary 5 instead, and then my original advice holds up.

Second, I recommend installing one version of Firefox in Puppy Package Manager. If you want to try another version, un-install the previous version before installing the later version. So, at this point, I would un-install both versions of Firefox from Puppy Package Manager. Then open Rox File Manager, click on the big eye in the top menu to reveal your hidden directories. Now look for a folder called: .mozilla and open that. You should now see a folder named: Firefox Delete that. This should now give you a "clean slate" so that you can re-install Firefox again.

Third, if you want to run the latest version of Firefox (Firefox 12 and later) instead of what is provided for Wary in Puppy Package Manager, then as vicmz mentioned: you will need dbus and dbus-glib which you can get from PPM by typing in the name of those two packages and doing a search. I am not aware that you need a later version of sqlite or libjpg but maybe vicmz could provide some more info on that. You could install just the dbus packages, then download and install the new Firefox package from Mozilla website (not Puppy Package Manager) and see if you get any errors or notices about missing dependencies.

Finally, the thread by Dewbie is a good one to follow, especially if you wanted to run more than one version of Firefox... then Dewbie mentions to install the (second version) browser in the /usr/local directory so that it doesn't interfere with the other (main) version. In fact, I take it a step further by installing Firefox in the /usr/local/lib/directory which is sort of parallel to where the main version of Firefox would be installed: /usr/lib/ --I hope this makes sense... either local path is okay as long as the local directory is included. Dewbie also has some good info about system requirements... and while his thread refers to SeaMonkey, it also pertains to Firefox since both browsers contain much of the same code base.

Hope this helps clarify a few things,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

vicmz

#10 Post by vicmz »

Thanks Monsie! I forgot that Firefox has to be uninstalled and reinstalled. I have used Firefox in Wary only after installing the three dependencies linked to in my post above, if I don't do so, Firefox simply won't launch.

VictorVictor5

#11 Post by VictorVictor5 »

Apologies everybody - I wasn't being informed of the updates to the post! Damn I missed a lot of information! :evil:

Ok - let me try some things out and I will post back. Again apologies for any inconvenience.

VV5

VictorVictor5

#12 Post by VictorVictor5 »

Greetings everyone,

Sorry for the late reply, but I decided to download the latest version of Firefox from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/products/d ... lang=en-US

Now it downloads it ok and XArchive unzips it (I think), and it unzips it to /tmp.

Now my questions are:

1.) I guess I need to move the firefox folder from /tmp to where?
2.) How can I get Firefox "pinned" to the start menu under the Internet category?
3.) How can I also put the Firefox icon on the desktop?

Thanks!
VV5

vicmz

#13 Post by vicmz »

VictorVictor5 wrote:Greetings everyone,

Sorry for the late reply, but I decided to download the latest version of Firefox from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/products/d ... lang=en-US

Now it downloads it ok and XArchive unzips it (I think), and it unzips it to /tmp.

Now my questions are:

1.) I guess I need to move the firefox folder from /tmp to where?
2.) How can I get Firefox "pinned" to the start menu under the Internet category?
3.) How can I also put the Firefox icon on the desktop?

Thanks!
VV5
1) Move the Firefox folder to /opt
2) Open Geany ("edit" icon on the desktop), create a file with this information:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Firefox web browser
Icon=/opt/firefox/chrome/icons/default/default32.png
Comment=Firefox Web Browser
Exec=/opt/firefox/firefox
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-Internet;X-Internet-browser;WebBrowser
GenericName=Firefox web browser
Save the file as firefox.desktop at /usr/share/applications. Then open a terminal ("console" icon on the desktop), type fixmenus, wait till the hash symbol (#) appears at the end (that means the command has finished) and restart your window manager. If you're using JWM, which is the default window manager in most Puppies, you can just type jwm -restart in the terminal window, all minimized windows will rise but don't worry, it doesn't do anything else. If you're using another WM such as Openbox, simply restart X (but save all your work before or it'll be gone!), although actually you may not need to restart X, check if Firefox appears in the menu first.

If you want to be able to select Firefox as default from the Menu > Setup > Default Application Chooser, simply type in a terminal window:

ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/firefox

This will create a symbolic link (or symlink) at /usr/local/bin and you will be able to see Firefox in the list of the default browser section. Or you can simply type /opt/firefox/firefox in the defaultbrowser box and click Apply.

3) Once you have set Firefox as your default web browser, you don't need to put the Firefox icon on the desktop, click the "browser" icon and it will start any browser you have set as default. However, if you do need to put the icon of a program on the desktop, go to /usr/share/applications, select the icon of the program, and drag & drop to the desktop. You can edit the icon name by right-clicking the icon and selecting "edit".

Have fun :D

PS: Oh, and yes, you will see in the addons manager and addon that says "The mplayer plugin is now the gecko media player plugin", you have to disable that to be able to download sound and video files directly. You can also right-click the link and select "save link target as..."
Last edited by vicmz on Thu 26 Jun 2014, 18:20, edited 2 times in total.

VictorVictor5

#14 Post by VictorVictor5 »

vicmz,

Thanks for the shout back - I followed all of your instruction to a tee - but just a heads up - "browse" on the desktop still goes to SeaMonkey, not Firefox. But that's cool. Maybe there's another command I need?

Also, still didn't see your gecko reference anywhere in the addons. Do you need me to send you a screenshot via PM?

Thanks!
VV5

vicmz

#15 Post by vicmz »

As I said, after typing in a terminal window the command

ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/firefox

you can go to Menu > Setup > Default Application Chooser and in the Browser section choose Firefox, as in the first picture below. Wary 5.3 is meant to have the Defaults Chooser app, but if it doesn't, you can download it from here.

The second picture below shows where the gecko mediaplayer plugin is, both Firefox and SeaMonkey have the same add-ons manager interface. You have to go to Tools > Add-ons manager, and in the Plugins section disable that plugin so that sound and video file links start a direct download instead of playing them first. I always disable the plugin because I haven't got a broadband connection to preview those file types.

Cheers :D
Attachments
capture8721.png
In the JWM Menu go to Setup > Default Application Chooser
and in the Browser section select Firefox as default, then
click the Apply button below
(139.8 KiB) Downloaded 3068 times
capture10373.png
Go to Tools > Add-ons manager and disable mplayer
(gecko mediaplayer) plugin for direct download of
audio and video files
(115.26 KiB) Downloaded 3038 times

VictorVictor5

#16 Post by VictorVictor5 »

vicmz,

Thanks for the reply - apologies on not catching the snippet about the Defaul Application Chooser - good to go there.

Now back to that plugin - I attached a screen shot of what I have currently. Is the one I circled in red what I need to disable? I'm just double-checking since I don't have a "gecko" plugin.

Thanks!
VV5
Attachments
plugin question.png
(88.62 KiB) Downloaded 474 times

vicmz

#17 Post by vicmz »

VictorVictor5 wrote:I attached a screen shot of what I have currently. Is the one I circled in red what I need to disable? I'm just double-checking since I don't have a "gecko" plugin.
Yes, mplayer plugin was later renamed gecko media player, it's the same. Don't be afraid to test, if you don't get the expected results you can go back and enable the plugins again.

VictorVictor5

#18 Post by VictorVictor5 »

Great - thanks vicmz for all of your help!

VV5

vicmz

#19 Post by vicmz »

Remember to write SOLVED at the end of the title of your forum thread, to let other newbies know where to find solutions. :D

VictorVictor5

#20 Post by VictorVictor5 »

vicmz,

Sorry - how can I edit my title to solved? I see it on the forums, and I have several that are solved, but I didn't know how to show them as solved.

Thanks!
VV5