How to export Seamonkey bookmarks to Firefox?

Booting, installing, newbie
chekrout

How to export Seamonkey bookmarks to Firefox?

#1 Post by chekrout »

Hello, I am having trouble finding how to add my slacko5.3.1 Seamonkey bookmarks to a Firefox browser in a Unbuntu 12.04 OS on another computer. I managed to find the root/mozilla/seamonkey/sxhhquhy.default/bookmarkbackups directory ...Are these (or most recent) the ones to move? and Where to in the Firefox files? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated...I have a lot of bookmarks I don't want to lose. :oops:

capicoso

#2 Post by capicoso »

I'm on seawesel right now, if im right its just the same as firefox. Open seamonkey and go to bookmarks, show all bookmarks(or manage bookmarks, im not sure if its like in firefox). Search for backup and import(or tools->export), export bookmarks to html. Then on firefox you do the same but import that html...

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

Go into Seamonkey's bookmark manager (note: I'm using SM 2 on my system, so I don't have Seamonkey 1.x around to provide directions for that. Should be roughly similar, though.)

For Seamonkey 2.x, you'll want to use Tools > Backup (from within the bookmarks manager), then save the resulting .json file somewhere other than the desktop folder.
Seamonkey 1.x should only have an Export to HTML option, so use that.

In Firefox, open the bookmarks manager (Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks (or hit Ctrl+Shift+O), in FF17). In the "Library" window, click on the Import and Backup dropdown button.

If you have a .json bookmark backup file, select Restore > Choose File...
If you have an HTML bookmark backup file, use Import Bookmarks from HTML...
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Bligh

#4 Post by Bligh »

Hi, In earlier versions of Seamonkey, mozilla suite, and Netscape it was simply a matter of copying the bookmark.html file from that same directory to the next version. Firefox has used the backup drectory for a long time. Now Seamonkey is using it also. You may have a bookmark.html file in that same directory that contains the backup directory. If so, check the file size then click on it to open it, it should open in Seamonkey. If all of your bookmarks are there, that is the file to import into Firefox. In both browsers you can use the import/export function. Edit the bookmark file(it may be different tabs in different browsers) click on the import/export function and export bookmarks to a location of your choice. Then import that file into Firefox. Also check the forums at mozillazine.org.
Cheers
Edit: Copy the file to the other computer.

chekrout

#5 Post by chekrout »

Thanks for the replys guys. I have SM 2.4 with the bookmark manager so I exported to a thumb drive. I opened it and the file ended in "json" so maybe it will import to Firefox. So far I haven't been able to get the Ubuntu OS to install onto the intended Latitude D600. Have to work that out before I can even try the bookmark import :?

Bligh

#6 Post by Bligh »

bookmark manager? is that an add-on or extension? I just checked both Seamonkey and Firefox, both have import/export html. Firefox does have import data from other browser. Have you checked that directory for a html file?
Cheers

Makoto

#7 Post by Makoto »

It's just the window in either browser that pops up if you want to work with all of your bookmarks in more detail. Seamonkey refers to it as a bookmarks manager; Firefox calls it a "Library."

Both Firefox (around v3) and Seamonkey (v2) have more or less stopped using the bookmarks.html format in favor of a bookmarks database, so anyone using those versions or higher isn't guaranteed to have a bookmarks.html file (in the original location or backups) or a recent version, if the file's there.

Exporting/importing the bookmarks does work on those browsers, as far as I know - but that process reportedly doesn't save some of the 'extra' details you might have with the bookmarks (not that I know what data isn't saved with that method, personally), maybe other things. It doesn't hurt to play it safe and use the .json method, at any rate. :oops:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Bligh

#8 Post by Bligh »

I am using current mozilla browsers, and see only import/export html I don't see import/export for.json files. I just have not done it. I keep a current bookmark.html file on my hdd. I can open that file in the first tab of most any browser and open the links in other tabs.
Cheers

Makoto

#9 Post by Makoto »

It's the "Backup..." and "Restore" (with a trailing menu for the latter) options in both Seamonkey's Bookmarks Manager Tools menu, and the "Import and Backup" dropdown menu in Firefox's Library window.

Bligh

#10 Post by Bligh »

Seamonkey 2.14.1 does not have the html file, but when I use export html file the resulting file is html.
Cheers

Bligh

#11 Post by Bligh »

In recent mozilla browsers, apparently html no longer works. You have no choice but to use .json files and the backup and restore functions
Cheers

Makoto

#12 Post by Makoto »

I think I've heard some people mention bugs in importing/exporting HTML bookmarks files, in recent versions of Seamonkey and Firefox, but I haven't looked into it. :oops: (I haven't really used the bookmarks.html files since FF switched to the database format in FF3... I used to simply copy/backup a few files to 'preserve' my FF profile - yes, when I should have simply backed up the entire profile directory :D)

Bligh

#13 Post by Bligh »

I used html files for years and it worked well. In recent years I have primarily used the personal toolbar. I create folders on the personal toolbar with many links in each. The bkmrks file is used mostly for seldom used sites.
Cheers

Makoto

#14 Post by Makoto »

Isn't the personal toolbar just part of the bookmarks, anyway? :)

I usually have folders with large amounts of bookmarks in my personal toolbar, too... it's annoying if I'm in one of those folders, and the list starts to automatically scroll in one direction or another. :roll:

Bligh

#15 Post by Bligh »

Hi Makoto, In recent browsers the personal toolbar is renamed to bookmarks toolbar. I have fifteen folders with many links in each. I abbreviate the folder names so I can get more on the bar. At higher screen resolutions more folders will fit.
Cheers