Does anyone else just run Slacko off the live CD?

Using applications, configuring, problems
spongedaddy

Does anyone else just run Slacko off the live CD?

#1 Post by spongedaddy »

I'm running Slacko 5.3.3 from the live CD and simply love it. Have been doing so for the past year -- development, web design, the works.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing the same and what their experiences have been. It's been great for me -- fast and stable.

Peace to all,

Tom

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I take it you have a save file on a hard disk or flash drive, that the Slacko CD uses?

tallboy

#3 Post by tallboy »

Flash wrote:I take it you have a save file on a hard disk or flash drive, that the Slacko CD uses?
I am curious to why you ask; I haven't run the Slacko 5.3.3, but are there difficulties in running it multisession, and save to CD?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I was only asking for clarity. :)

I've never had any difficulty at all running any version of Puppy from a multisession DVD, but I don't save everything on the DVD. I just save things on the DVD that have to do with Puppy: mostly settings and small programs that I use a lot (such as tree). Other more general stuff I save on a USB flash drive that I leave plugged in but only mount when I want to use it.

Since I often switch Puppys to test the new ones, I've found that a configuration checklist would be a good idea so that I don't forget to change the obscure settings and install the programs I want. I need to start a wiki page for a checklist so that everyone can add to it.

I don't like to install large, rarely-used programs and then save them on the DVD. For me it's more convenient to keep them as .pets on the USB flash drive and install them when I want to use them. If a program requires a lot of configuration or fiddling with before I can use it, then I'll save it on the DVD.

ndujoe1

Slacko Live CD

#5 Post by ndujoe1 »

I have used Slacko Live CD, it is how I use and try out all the Puppy ISO's that interest me.

grump

#6 Post by grump »

I do. I have a save file on the HDD of this old Toshiba Portege A200 laptop which is my most used PC.

However, I also run Slacko PAE on a HP Mini, but from a USB stick since it has no optical drive. I get it to save to the HDD by changing isolinux.cnf to include pmedia=CD.

tallboy

#7 Post by tallboy »

Flash wrote:...I don't save everything on the DVD. I just save things on the DVD that have to do with Puppy: mostly settings and small programs that I use a lot (such as tree). Other more general stuff I save on a USB flash drive that I leave plugged in but only mount when I want to use it.
Ditto.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.