Creative Zen MP3 player not seen by any Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
Indy452

Creative Zen MP3 player not seen by any Puppy

#1 Post by Indy452 »

Slacko puppy or Wary or any other Linux OS for that matter, does not see my Creative Zen "sleek" photo/mp3 player when I plug it in.

I would really like to mount it like all the other mp3 players I have but for some reason this one isn't seen. I assume it has something to do with MTP support or something? I don't really know much about that but would like some help getting it to be seen so I can move files around in it.

Anybody have any tips for me to use? Generally Puppy sees anything I throw at it but this time...nada.

Thanks..

postfs1

#2 Post by postfs1 »

:arrow: http://klungvik.com/computer-related-stuff/linux/
:arrow: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/mess ... d=20891845
Information about the Internet page: Copyright © 2013 SourceForge. All Rights Reserved.
Perhaps in Linux OS GPhoto gives the similar output.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Indy452, have you tried Menu -> Graphic -> Gtkam camera manager to see if it will see the camera?

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

The web suggests that thing relies on libnjb, with possibly Gnomad2 as the frontend. Pup-land must have a simplified gui..

Indy452

#5 Post by Indy452 »

Its not a camera....its a mp3 player that will hold/display photos....basically like any other mp3 player now days.....I really don't know why its called sleek photo....I use it for music and I like the way it performs but its a bitch to get working on anything other than MS products.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

You should be able to install the appropriate, Pup specific lib from pkgs.org. Then all you need is a frontend..

Makoto

#7 Post by Makoto »

gnomad/2 will probably work. Use this search to search the forums for gnomad and builds compiled for your setup. technosaurus may also be a good person to consult about it. :)

Also, you might check this page to see if your player is supported by gnomad 2:
http://gnomad2.sourceforge.net/
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

Gnomad2 v2.9.6 -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21961
This package was compiled to be compatible with Puppy Lucid - the latest version of this Puppy series is v5.2.8
But it might (?) also work in Slacko.
Indy452 wrote:I assume it has something to do with MTP support or something?
Not in your case. For Creative products, the compatibility issue relates to the "PDE" protocol. Gnomad2 uses the libnjb library to communicate with this protocol.

"MTP" is another unique communication protocol, and yes, Gnomad supports this, too. Typical examples of MTP devices are by iRiver, SanDisk and Sony.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

For what it's worth, the Gnomad2 2.9.2 .pet seems to work fine in Puppy Precise. Though I have apparently somehow borked my iRiver Lplayer so badly that only Gparted can even see it, and even Gparted can't do anything with it. It never worked. Maybe it was defective. :cry:

pemasu

#10 Post by pemasu »

I used gnomad2 from PPM (ubuntu .debs) in Precise Puppy. Worked fine. Gnomad2 seems to be about only ready app to communicate with Creative Zen player.

Windows 7 didnt have working application for it and Creative dont have updates past Windows XP - Vista. My son has windows os and I had the old (2006) windows software cd from Creative to try.

So....Precise Puppy and gnomad2 did the trick.

Makoto

#11 Post by Makoto »

Yeah... a while back, I had to hunt down an XP system and then downgrade Windows Media Player on it, just so I could update the firmware on my old Zen Xtra. :oops:

Never did see if I could get it working with gnomad/2 and Puppy - though I'm still using Puppy 4.3.1, so it doesn't count :P - but I've long since filled the thing to capacity and have no intent to change anything on it, so... :mrgreen:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

sheldonisaac

Re: Creative Zen MP3 player not seen by any Puppy

#12 Post by sheldonisaac »

(portions snipped)
Indy452 wrote:Slacko puppy or Wary or any other Linux OS for that matter, does not see my Creative Zen "sleek" photo/mp3 player when I plug it in.

I would really like to mount it like all the other mp3 players I have but for some reason this one isn't seen. I assume it has something to do with MTP support or something?
At http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArti ... ?sid=83635, it says the Zen sleek has MSC protocol, which means it should be seen as a storage device; in linux, something like /dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1

So on the Zen sleek, is there a way to change it from MTP to MSC?
I now remember (I hope correctly) that I had to do that on the Clip+ , even with the original firmware, for Linux to see the player.