Silverlight/Moonlight on Slacko with Firefox or any browser

Booting, installing, newbie
liro

Silverlight/Moonlight on Slacko with Firefox or any browser

#1 Post by liro »

When trying to view a video on a webpage like this one, which requires Silverlight, I got a message directing me to the Moonlight installation page (via the Silverlight one).

So I installed the Moonlight plug-in for Firefox, but then discovered I also needed "Mono" for this to work. So I installed a Mono pet from here, but after doing this the videos still don't work on these pages, just a black box appears.

Does anyone know how I can get Silverlight/Moonlight to work correctly on Puppy (Slacko 5.3.3)? Preferably with Firefox, but on any browser really.

Thanks.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

Just to be sure - you don't have anything that might be blocking scripts installed, like NoScript, do you?
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

liro

#3 Post by liro »

Makoto wrote:Just to be sure - you don't have anything that might be blocking scripts installed, like NoScript, do you?
Hi. No, I don't have anything like that installed apart from Adblock, but disabling it makes no difference.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Whatever the story is, you'll be better off finding an alternate video elsewhere..

liro

#5 Post by liro »

Semme wrote:Whatever the story is, you'll be better off finding an alternate video elsewhere..
Hi Semme, unfortunately I can't view those particular videos anywhere else. Is there no way I could get them to work with Moonlight? :| Btw, I've just tried that "Silverlight 2.0 animation test" and it works fine.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

You installed which version of Moonlight- two or four?

The page you listed reports: data:application/x-silverlight-2

Are you running Slacko with an updated video driver?

liro

#7 Post by liro »

I installed version 4, when I tried to install version 2 it said it wasn't compatible with Firefox 17.

I'm not running an updated video driver, as far as I know, just the default one on Slacko.

watchdog

#8 Post by watchdog »

Only Firefox 3.6.28 is compatible with moonlight plugin you find at:

http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/

Install Firefox 3.6.28 from:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

You can use portable script.

Install main plugin moonlight. Restart browser. Install secondary plugin named 2.4 stable. The first time you use the plugin you are asked to install codecs. Reload page in browser and hopefully it will work.

liro

#9 Post by liro »

Thanks for the help. I tried exactly what you suggested but unfortunately with the same result. As well as on my laptop (IBM Thinkpad), I've tried it also on a desktop PC but it just does the same thing :/.

Could it be a problem with "Mono"? To be honest, I don't know how this works, I just installed the PET mentioned in my first post.

Thanks

PS. If anyone uses Moonlight and can get that page to work, please tell me how you installed Moonlight.

watchdog

#10 Post by watchdog »

liro wrote:Thanks for the help. I tried exactly what you suggested but unfortunately with the same result.
Sorry. I have realized that my way to install moonlight is obsolete. In new installations the Eula Agreement for installing Microsoft Codecs is not automated. You must right-click on a video and go to Moonlight Properties and there you can install codecs. My sites don't work now with 2.4 Stable extra plugin of moonlight: you must install only main plugin and now it is compatible with Firefox 17.0.1, too. Something is changed in silverlight code and codecs for moonlight. I can see again in this way my sites supporting silverlight-moonlight: only your site does not work. I think it is a problem of the site.

liro

#11 Post by liro »

That's a shame, as I can't watch those videos with the subtitles option (which I need) anywhere else :/.

I've also tried using WINE, following the instructions here, but still just a black box for the video...