Puppy Network Wizard-Lost the modules?

Using applications, configuring, problems
tytower

Puppy Network Wizard-Lost the modules?

#1 Post by tytower »

Puppy Slacko 5.3
When using the above wizard it gives you a way to load a module so you can get hardware to work . In my case a wireless adapter to the ADSL2 modem.

While using this program all the modules suddenly disappeared . I think all the files are still there just the mdule load operation does not find them .

Anyone know anything about this wizard and what might have gone wrong . Can I fix it so I get the modules back in the window?

There is a screen shot of the blank window for what its worth
Attachments
ModuleLoadscreen.jpg
(81.29 KiB) Downloaded 343 times

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

Open down-left Menu-System-Boot Manager configure bootup. Click on "blacklist" or "add new modules" to manipulate modules. Do you find the modules?

tytower

#3 Post by tytower »

Yep get modules on both of those!

watchdog

networkmodulkes

#4 Post by watchdog »

Control you have /etc/networkmodules. Open it with geany and see its content: in my case there are the modules for networking. You can copy it from a live if damaged. Now I am in precise and I have such a file. The location could be different in other puppies: use pfind searching "module" to locate your file.

tytower

#5 Post by tytower »

Hmm Thanks
I could not get the wifi adaptor to work . That was the problem so I moved up to "precise" myself to fix that problem
looking back into the "slacko" save file for 5.3 there was no file there of that name but there was one called "networkusermodules" which leads me to the conclusion that it should have been there but had been wiped

I'll check that out in a minute by booting from the 5.3 live disk and as I have copied that file across from "precise "anyway I'll know if that really was the problem .

I'll let you know.

EDIT Yes the modules now come up in the window so that most likely was the problem. However looking at the live CD sfs file I do not see any of them there. I attached a screenshot of the rox listing

So as I see it ,pressing the module LOAD button reads that file then the program goes off and looks for the kernel module you choose and loads it.

In my case it seems it still could not find that modue rtl8192cu and told me so. In fact I suspect it may not have even been in that release

Do you know where the actual "ko"module is stored so I can check?

watchdog

#6 Post by watchdog »

tytower wrote: In my case it seems it still could not find that modue rtl8192cu and told me so. In fact I suspect it may not have even been in that release

Do you know where the actual "ko"module is stored so I can check?
Try:

Code: Select all

modprobe rtl8192cu
If you have the module it will be loaded. Now I am in wary and the kernel modules of wireless are in /lib/modules/2.6.32.59/kernel/drivers/net/wireless. Browse in directory /lib/modules in your case to find the kernel modules.

tytower

#7 Post by tytower »

Thanks
I should remember all these unix commands but they fade
It is there @ 353 kb and dated 30/8/12
So it must be as "~pemasu" said , it is just not mature enough yet.

OK thanks the post was to find out why they disappeared and I think that is answered now.