How to install Flash player in Chrome; other questions

Booting, installing, newbie
outlawbikernyc

How to install Flash player in Chrome; other questions

#1 Post by outlawbikernyc »

Hey... I am totally new to Linux. Finally decided to dive in because of all the cool things I know Linux is capable of, and to be honest, I miss the old DOS days....

One of my main issues is with the Adobe Flash Player. Even googling results does not come up with a solution. I am currently running Chrome which is supposed to have Flash Player already installed. It's not. Try to download a version from Adobe, and that doesn't work. Tried with Opera as well, get sent to same Adobe plug in page, which apparently has had problems in the past. Does anybody have a different solution, or a different link where I can get this plug in from?

Also, I am currently running Puppy Lucid from a thumbdrive on a lenovo netbook with the 1.6..... I am trying to work through a few tutorials, and some directories I am looking for don't exist, HOME being one of them. Is this because I am running off the thumbdrive? I am considering doing an install to my hd, but all the posts I see are pointing to the Frugal install. If i do the frugal install, could I upgrade to the full install?

Thanks for any and all help. It is much appreciated. I would be happy with answers to these two things for now. We're not EVEN going to get into the ulcer creating scenarios I am getting myself into with Conkys and CompViz, etc. (think it's time to learn a simple programming language haha)

simargl

#2 Post by simargl »

Hi outlawbikernyc,
check in folder /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins for file libflashplayer.so. If it is there you probably missing some library from nss package, they come with firefox but also you can install them separately.
Last edited by simargl on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

Re: HELP!!!!

#3 Post by L18L »

outlawbikernyc wrote:... I am trying to work through a few tutorials, and some directories I am looking for don't exist, HOME being one of them. Is this because I am running off the thumbdrive? I am considering doing an install to my hd, but all the posts I see are pointing to the Frugal install. If i do the frugal install, could I upgrade to the full install?...
Does not appear to be a puppy tutorial :idea:

find puppy's HOME
Klick on Console, enter

Code: Select all

echo $HOME
and press Enter key
This will show you HOME of your puppy :D
puppy is different :wink:

full install is not an upgrade of frugal install.
Stay with frugal, it is more flexible.
Full install is for low RAM boxes.

Welcome and have fun :)

dk60902

Re: How to install Flash player in Chrome; other questions

#4 Post by dk60902 »

outlawbikernyc wrote:Hey... I am totally new to Linux. Finally decided to dive in because of all the cool things I know Linux is capable of, and to be honest, I miss the old DOS days....

One of my main issues is with the Adobe Flash Player. Even googling results does not come up with a solution. I am currently running Chrome which is supposed to have Flash Player already installed. It's not. Try to download a version from Adobe, and that doesn't work. Tried with Opera as well, get sent to same Adobe plug in page, which apparently has had problems in the past. Does anybody have a different solution, or a different link where I can get this plug in from?

Also, I am currently running Puppy Lucid from a thumbdrive on a lenovo netbook with the 1.6..... I am trying to work through a few tutorials, and some directories I am looking for don't exist, HOME being one of them. Is this because I am running off the thumbdrive? I am considering doing an install to my hd, but all the posts I see are pointing to the Frugal install. If i do the frugal install, could I upgrade to the full install?

Thanks for any and all help. It is much appreciated. I would be happy with answers to these two things for now. We're not EVEN going to get into the ulcer creating scenarios I am getting myself into with Conkys and CompViz, etc. (think it's time to learn a simple programming language haha)
There is a getflash .pet that is easy to install.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 03&t=74491

Also, there is a youtube tutorial that was recently uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlNwV5OXgZA

For Firefox (or Aurora/Seamonky), you would extract the tar.gz into the subdirectory usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. I'm not on my Puppy computer, but you'd extract to the appropriate Chrome plugin folder.

I think, but am not certain, that the latest Precise Puppy 5.4.3 has flash already installed.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

cacri

Flash player in Chrome browser

#5 Post by cacri »

Does your Chrome install properly renders You Tube content ?? (for me a proof of a working Flash install)...if not, you may try the following.

In your browser, go to the Google Chrome download page, proceed with a Linux download (32 bit deb). Once download complete, accept install. If succesfull, Chrome files have been installed in the /opt folder. Use the ROX file manager (or open a command screen and enjoy again the cd command) till you find a google-chrome file. Mouse drag that file to the desktop to make a link. Click on it once done....it will not work (the "will not run as root Chrome" issue) ...but in that error message box it will tell you what to do: run google-chrome with "--user-data-dir" as arguments. Edit the link and make the argument inclusion permanent. You may also configure the link to show the Chrome right icon. Now upon click Chrome runs...go to a Flash site such (You Tube??) and test it...in my case it reports Flash 11.1.102

You may replace the user-data-dir with a real directory so your config data gets stored somewhere.

Not a 100% sure it will address your situation, but it worked like a charm for me....please report!!