Puppy 2.02 Kernel Rebuild

Booting, installing, newbie
hackus

#21 Post by hackus »

To everyone in this thread, thanks for the feedback.

I do have a rather brazen tone when it comes to the source code, because I have an intense desire to make source code available to all to learn about computers.

I dislike it when I can't get source code, particularly GPL licensed code.

I am aware of the following kernel: http://www.puppyos.com/test/linux-2.6.1 ... tch.tar.gz

However, I would like to point out that kernel source tree can't possibly be the one that built the binary.

The reason why that is will be apearent to anyone who downloads it, and attempts to do a config on it, build it and attempt to boot it in the puppy environment.

The symbol tree in the config file doesn't match the source tree of the kernel.

So, we have a binary version of the Linux kernel, being distributed with no corresponding source tree.

I don't think I have to say more.

I guess what is irritating is the web site SAYS the kernel source at the above link is the one that built the binary, but it isn't.

-Hackus

gamfa

#22 Post by gamfa »

You did sound like you where typing and sitting on a tack at the same time bud.
"Don't tell my cattle that I have leather seats in my truck"

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain

raffy

asking for help

#23 Post by raffy »

It seems hackus is here for help, and has now started two new threads about his project: here and there.

This will be the first activity on an "embedded" project in this forum, and we wish him well with it.

Note: Here is an interesting thread for naming Puppy Linux-based projects.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].