Save file backup and restore Menu option.

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
sunburnt

Save file backup and restore Menu option.

#1 Post by sunburnt »

# Suggestion to the main Puppy Developers:

A menu item for backing up and restoring the SAVE file.

A restore option would also be added to the boot menu`s options.
So then it could do an instant recovery from a bad SAVE file ( common ).

Gzip the SAVE file with the date added in it`s name.
Show the SAVE file list when the boot menu option is invoked.

Henry

Re: Puppy Save file backup and restore.

#2 Post by Henry »

sunburnt wrote:# Suggestion to the main Puppy Developers:

A menu item for backing up and restoring the SAVE file.

A restore option would also be added to the boot menu`s options.
So then it could do an instant recovery from a bad SAVE file ( common ).

Gzip the SAVE file with the date added in it`s name.
Show the SAVE file list when the boot menu option is invoked.
2. Don't copy, rename, delete or replace a save file while it is in use. Never use the running save file (e.g. save-A.2fs) to copy itself, which will corrupt it. Reboot and use a different save file to copy or replace it with one of its backups using Pupsave restore.
3. Pupsave Hot Backup safely makes a time stamped copy of the running save file in /mnt/home. See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49999
4. Keep two save files in /mnt/home: save-A.2fs and save-B.2fs. During startup you can choose one or the other. If you choose A you can copy or replace B with one of its backups. Or vice versa. Or use Pupsave Restore. Note: restore A or B from B or A not from A or B!
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72153 Note that PupsaveRestore.sh has been modified, changing gtkdialog3 to gtkdialog2 near the end.

I've been using Pupsave Hot Backup and Pupsave Restore for years. Couldn't do without them!

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

Henry; It`s interesting that you say not to copy the Save while in use.
I`ve heard this many times in the forum, but I`ve never had a problem.

I`ve copied the working Save file many dozens of times with no problems.
The same for SFS files, there`s no reason mounted files can`t be copied.
I`ve seen no warnings about copying mounted files in mount man files.

NOTE: I just copied the Save in this Puppy with no problems.
It`s understandable that writing to the Save during copying might barf it.

Why isn`t Pupsave Hot Backup on Puppy`s menu?
And I assume Pupsave Restore is the working part of Puppy`s bootup?

Henry

#4 Post by Henry »

Sunburnt,

I've had plenty of experience of corruption using the save file to copy itself. Usually not massive corruption but unacceptable in details. A word to the wise . . .

About hot back up and restore, why not just look at the urls I provided. They're pretty clear.

Henry

rhadon

#5 Post by rhadon »

Hot Backup uses the usual cp command for copying, so how can it be more save than using this command manually?

OK, Hot Backup uses e2fsck after copying, but AFAIK nothing more. I like this program and use it for backups but I don't think it's safer than backing up a save file in use manually and then e2fsck. For me, both methods are safe enough.

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

Henry

#6 Post by Henry »

rhadon wrote:Hot Backup uses the usual cp command for copying, so how can it be more save than using this command manually?

OK, Hot Backup uses e2fsck after copying, but AFAIK nothing more. I like this program and use it for backups but I don't think it's safer than backing up a save file in use manually and then e2fsck. For me, both methods are safe enough.

Rolf
Thanks for that clarification, Rolf. Maybe it's only a small corruption that would be fixed by e2fsck, but I would rather not have to bother with that. For me these hot backup and restore features are very convenient to use as a a pair and do not need me to boot with pfix=ram. (My puppy is so very customised that when I do that it looks strange to me - no, I have not remastered it.)

I am continually doing small (and not so small) tweaks, and these help me to keep my save file safe :-)

johnywhy

#7 Post by johnywhy »

struggling noob asks:

hi,

while running a different puppy. i drag-copied my pupsave directory to another location.

later, when the live puppy became dysfunctional, i drag-copied the backup on top of the current pupsave (again from a different puppy).

now, when i boot the 'restored' puppy, it's non-functional-- mouse and keyboard do not work.

did i do this wrong?

i noticed that during the backup copy, i got some odd "could not copy this file" errors, having to do with filetype or something. Sorry i don't have the exact verbiage, but i'm hoping experts will know what i'm talking about.

also, i read on this thread that i should e2fsck on the backup copy, but when i tried i got error "target is a directory".

i'm obviously doing something wrong.

appreciate any advice. thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]